Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 3620 Config help please

3620 Config help please

Mike W.

Hey all,

I had posted this a while back, but I wanted to start a new thread since
some of the info has changed. Here's the brief synopsis:

"I have 2 DS1's coming into my location. The 3620 has 2 serial interfaces,
and only 1 ethernet interface.

We have 2 blocks of IPs, x.x.x.56-.x.x.x.63 , and x.x.x.64-x.x.x.71

Currently, I have used up the first block and wanted to move onto the second
to set up FTP services. However, I can't get to the 64-71 block from the
ethernet interface. I'm pretty sure this is possible without BGP....but can
someone look at my config and comment on it? I've tried to set up another
device to have an IP of x.x.x.66, .67, or .68 using a gateway of either
x.x.x.57 OR x.x.x.65 ... neither works."

*** Updated Info***

My ISP claims everything is set up right on their end for me to be able to
use that second block. They ARE doing per-packet balancing with me.

An extended traceroute from my router with a source address of the secondary
IP DOES indeed work...

*****************

Here's the config...thanks for any help you can lend!

!
version 12.3
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
service password-encryption
!
hostname XXXXGW-1
!
enable secret 5
!
username root password 7
aaa new-model
!
!
aaa authentication login default local
aaa session-id common
ip subnet-zero
!
!
ip cef
no ip ftp passive
ip name-server x.x.x.x
ip name-server x.x.x.x
!
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0/0
ip address x.x.x.65 255.255.255.248 secondary
ip address x.x.x.57 255.255.255.248
half-duplex
no cdp enable
!
interface Serial0/0
description DS1_Ckt#_HCFUxxx
ip address x.x.x.218 255.255.255.252
ip load-sharing per-packet
down-when-looped
no cdp enable
!
interface Serial0/1
description DS1_Ckt#_HCFUxxx
ip address x.x.x.214 255.255.255.252
ip load-sharing per-packet
down-when-looped
no cdp enable
!
no ip http server
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.213
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.217
!
!
no cdp run
snmp-server community xxxx
snmp-server enable traps tty
radius-server authorization permit missing Service-Type
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 20 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
exec-timeout 5 0
!
!
!
end

Kevin Widner

If the extended pings and traceroutes work from your router sourced
from the secondary address, then it would seem that the trouble may be
elsewhere. How is the network setup that the hosts in the
x.x.x.64-x.x.x.71 range live?

You said :
I've tried to set up another
device to have an IP of x.x.x.66, .67, or .68 using a gateway of either
x.x.x.57 OR x.x.x.65 ... neither works."
========

Not surprising that the .57 as the gateway didn't work, but were you at
least able to ping the .65 address (the default gateway itself) when
the host was configured as .66?

[...]

"Kevin Widner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> If the extended pings and traceroutes work from your router sourced
> from the secondary address, then it would seem that the trouble may be
> elsewhere. How is the network setup that the hosts in the
> x.x.x.64-x.x.x.71 range live?

Here is how the network is set up. 2 DS1's come into the 3620. The 3620
only has one ethernet interface, so that outputs to a 5 port switch. The
switch then provides devices that need external access to the internet (a
PIX 515E and a VPN Conc. 3005)

What I've been trying to set up is a test PIX using an IP assigned from the
second block with no success. Tried my laptop as well, and no dice.

> You said :
> I've tried to set up another
> device to have an IP of x.x.x.66, .67, or .68 using a gateway of either
> x.x.x.57 OR x.x.x.65 ... neither works."
> ========
>
> Not surprising that the .57 as the gateway didn't work, but were you at
> least able to ping the .65 address (the default gateway itself) when
> the host was configured as .66?

Well actually, since my ISP said I didn't need these two statements, I
pulled them out of the config (See in 1st part of thread..) and now I CAN'T
do an extended traceroute or ping sourced by the second block:

ip route x.x.0.0 255.255.0.0 x.x.x.213
ip route x.x.0.0 255.255.0.0 x.x.x.217

So I guess I DO need those....maybe I'm missing just one thing??

3620 Config help Mike W. Cisco 5 01-09-2005 01:41 AM
cable-modem->d-link 614+-> cisco 3620->cisco 2501->my workstation setup help Lorre Cisco 0 07-25-2004 05:57 PM
cisco 3620 + HDVt1 high cpu usage help!!! optimus Cisco 0 03-04-2004 04:15 PM
3620 Router config for Cable modem ISP Stephen Cisco 3 01-26-2004 10:11 PM

Advertisments