Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > HTML controls instead of .Net server controls

HTML controls instead of .Net server controls

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgRGF2b2xp?=

Another front end guy that I work with wants to use old HTML controls instead
of the new .NET server controls. Since he is a old HTML and classic asp
person and is familiar with this, he wants to the old HTML controls instead
of the new .Net controls on a .Net web page. Please give me some opinions on
this. What are disadvantages or advantages, if any?

PS - I only use the new .Net controls. Never have used the old control
except for the file upload.

--
Chris Davoli

Jeesh. Tell him to wake up and join the 21st century. Really, man.
Peter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

"Chris Davoli" wrote:

> Another front end guy that I work with wants to use old HTML controls instead
> of the new .NET server controls. Since he is a old HTML and classic asp
> person and is familiar with this, he wants to the old HTML controls instead
> of the new .Net controls on a .Net web page. Please give me some opinions on
> this. What are disadvantages or advantages, if any?
>
> PS - I only use the new .Net controls. Never have used the old control
> except for the file upload.
>
> --
> Chris Davoli

Przemek Ptasznik

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP] napisaƂ(a):
> Jeesh. Tell him to wake up and join the 21st century. Really, man.
> Peter

Web server controls are not always the best choice. If you want to take
care of quality of your (x)html code (in terms of web standards) and
build modern, cross-browser websites, you often must forget about some
of web controls because they're generating ugly and old-fashioned
markup. Especially in ASP.NET 1.1 that was a big problem. In that cases
html server controls was good alternative because you had full control
(almost) of the code you generate. Of course it requires some more
knowledge and skills (properly use (x)html - to deliver content and not
presentation, css to deliver presentational informatons and
javascript(ecmascript) to add behaviors) than using web server controls,
but its definitely good idea if we talk about modern, accessible and
cross-browser websites.
Html server controls have one more advantage - lower performance cost
than most of server controls.
So it's not so easy decision to get rid of html server controls and
advance into 21th century

--
It was my opinion and i'm definitely agree with it
PP

Jay Pondy

I was once an old school HTML instead of .Net but with VS2005 they have come a
long, long way. There are just to many advantages to ignore the new controls. I
don't event think about it anymore - the performance hit on most web pages is
insignificant - use the new controls.