Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > FMF Models usage

Reply
Thread Tools

FMF Models usage

 
 
devices
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2006
I'm trying to integrate the at25320a model in the Ise Simulator. I created
the FMF Libray and added gen_utils.vhd and conversion.vhd. "at25320a.vhd" is
part of the top level, it's not in the
test bench vhdl file.

The compiler doesn't complain. But "Running Fuse ..."

i get several warnings and 2 errors

WARNING:HDLParsers:3502 - File
"J:/I.31/env/TOS/HDLPkgs/vhdl/vital2000/restricted/timing_b.vhd" which file
"..../gen_utils.vhd" depends on is modified, but has not been compiled. You
may need to compile ..../timing_b.vhd first.

the same warnings are reported for "prmtvs.vhd"


ERROR:Simulator:170 - FMF/gen_utils is not compiled properly. Please
recompile
FMF/gen_utils in file "" without -incremental option.

ERROR:Simulator:199 - Failed when handling dependencies for entity tb_board,
architecture testbench_arch

I have no "J:" drive other than the CDRom (empty)

Is Vital 2000 not installed in 8.2i or do i miss something?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
FMF
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2006
In ModelSim, there is much confusion because the IEEE library contains
VITAL'95 rather than VITAL2000. The fix is to change the modelsim.ini
file to point IEEE to vital2000. You may have already done that.
Somehow, your simulator seems to think the VITAL library has not been
compiled yet. I am guessing this is a configuration (not the VHDL type)
issue.

Is ISE based on ModelSim?

Rick Munden


devices wrote:
> I'm trying to integrate the at25320a model in the Ise Simulator. I created
> the FMF Libray and added gen_utils.vhd and conversion.vhd. "at25320a.vhd" is
> part of the top level, it's not in the
> test bench vhdl file.
>
> The compiler doesn't complain. But "Running Fuse ..."
>
> i get several warnings and 2 errors
>
> WARNING:HDLParsers:3502 - File
> "J:/I.31/env/TOS/HDLPkgs/vhdl/vital2000/restricted/timing_b.vhd" which file
> "..../gen_utils.vhd" depends on is modified, but has not been compiled. You
> may need to compile ..../timing_b.vhd first.
>
> the same warnings are reported for "prmtvs.vhd"
>
>
> ERROR:Simulator:170 - FMF/gen_utils is not compiled properly. Please
> recompile
> FMF/gen_utils in file "" without -incremental option.
>
> ERROR:Simulator:199 - Failed when handling dependencies for entity tb_board,
> architecture testbench_arch
>
> I have no "J:" drive other than the CDRom (empty)
>
> Is Vital 2000 not installed in 8.2i or do i miss something?
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
devices
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2006
ISE should support all the ModelSim editions, i guess.
But i'm using Xilinx "Ise Simulator" itself.

I did a Test:

I created a "simple" project where i only included
"gen_utils.vhd" and a "test entity" and called "GenParity"
in the beahavioural part of the entity.


CASE 1
gen_utils.vhd is part of the project (WORK)

snippet:

use gen_utils.all;
....
vo <= GenParity(vi, '0', ;

CASE 2
i moved gen_utils.vhd to the library (FMF)

snippet:

library fmf;
use fmf.gen_utils.all;
....
vo <= GenParity(vi, '0', ;

CASE 1 worked (though it gave me warnings, i don't remember for sure)
CASE 2 gave me the usual problems

By the Way
Some MMC or SD cards models would be useful



"FMF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In ModelSim, there is much confusion because the IEEE library contains
> VITAL'95 rather than VITAL2000. The fix is to change the modelsim.ini
> file to point IEEE to vital2000. You may have already done that.
> Somehow, your simulator seems to think the VITAL library has not been
> compiled yet. I am guessing this is a configuration (not the VHDL type)
> issue.
>
> Is ISE based on ModelSim?
>
> Rick Munden
>
>
> devices wrote:
> > I'm trying to integrate the at25320a model in the Ise Simulator. I

created
> > the FMF Libray and added gen_utils.vhd and conversion.vhd.

"at25320a.vhd" is
> > part of the top level, it's not in the
> > test bench vhdl file.
> >
> > The compiler doesn't complain. But "Running Fuse ..."
> >
> > i get several warnings and 2 errors
> >
> > WARNING:HDLParsers:3502 - File
> > "J:/I.31/env/TOS/HDLPkgs/vhdl/vital2000/restricted/timing_b.vhd" which

file
> > "..../gen_utils.vhd" depends on is modified, but has not been compiled.

You
> > may need to compile ..../timing_b.vhd first.
> >
> > the same warnings are reported for "prmtvs.vhd"
> >
> >
> > ERROR:Simulator:170 - FMF/gen_utils is not compiled properly. Please
> > recompile
> > FMF/gen_utils in file "" without -incremental option.
> >
> > ERROR:Simulator:199 - Failed when handling dependencies for entity

tb_board,
> > architecture testbench_arch
> >
> > I have no "J:" drive other than the CDRom (empty)
> >
> > Is Vital 2000 not installed in 8.2i or do i miss something?
> >
> >
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
devices
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2006
Tired of crosswords i decided to face the issue
with a little more patience. I "explicitly" compiled
the files in the following order

gen_utils.vhd (in the fmf library)
conversions.vhd (in the fmf library)
at25320a.vhd
spi.vhd
board.vhd
tb_board.vhd

Then i ran the "Ise Simulator". It finally worked.

I would expect an IDE to take care of the compilation order
or at least to let me enter the file names in the right order.
I'm afraid that every change i make i have to manually recompile
the whole chain.

The compilation won't start if a file is not edited since the
last compilation. So in order to recompile everything
i'll have to select each file, insert a space ' ', remove the space
(backspace) save it and compile it. It's not quite like drinking
a glass of water. Ok maybe i miss (i hope) some option to
set up all this in an auto way.

By the way i was glad to see this error.

ERROR:Simulator:29 - at 0 ns : Could not open file 'at25320a.mem' of Text

It meant the simulation started at least

But now i realize that i never considered the format of such file.
I should take a look at the code and figure it out. I expect a
sequence of 4096 bytes. Integers or Ascii codes?



"devices" <me@home> wrote in message
news:452d60d4$0$5852$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> ISE should support all the ModelSim editions, i guess.
> But i'm using Xilinx "Ise Simulator" itself.
>
> I did a Test:
>
> I created a "simple" project where i only included
> "gen_utils.vhd" and a "test entity" and called "GenParity"
> in the beahavioural part of the entity.
>
>
> CASE 1
> gen_utils.vhd is part of the project (WORK)
>
> snippet:
>
> use gen_utils.all;
> ...
> vo <= GenParity(vi, '0', ;
>
> CASE 2
> i moved gen_utils.vhd to the library (FMF)
>
> snippet:
>
> library fmf;
> use fmf.gen_utils.all;
> ...
> vo <= GenParity(vi, '0', ;
>
> CASE 1 worked (though it gave me warnings, i don't remember for sure)
> CASE 2 gave me the usual problems
>
> By the Way
> Some MMC or SD cards models would be useful
>
>
>
> "FMF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In ModelSim, there is much confusion because the IEEE library contains
> > VITAL'95 rather than VITAL2000. The fix is to change the modelsim.ini
> > file to point IEEE to vital2000. You may have already done that.
> > Somehow, your simulator seems to think the VITAL library has not been
> > compiled yet. I am guessing this is a configuration (not the VHDL type)
> > issue.
> >
> > Is ISE based on ModelSim?
> >
> > Rick Munden
> >
> >
> > devices wrote:
> > > I'm trying to integrate the at25320a model in the Ise Simulator. I

> created
> > > the FMF Libray and added gen_utils.vhd and conversion.vhd.

> "at25320a.vhd" is
> > > part of the top level, it's not in the
> > > test bench vhdl file.
> > >
> > > The compiler doesn't complain. But "Running Fuse ..."
> > >
> > > i get several warnings and 2 errors
> > >
> > > WARNING:HDLParsers:3502 - File
> > > "J:/I.31/env/TOS/HDLPkgs/vhdl/vital2000/restricted/timing_b.vhd" which

> file
> > > "..../gen_utils.vhd" depends on is modified, but has not been

compiled.
> You
> > > may need to compile ..../timing_b.vhd first.
> > >
> > > the same warnings are reported for "prmtvs.vhd"
> > >
> > >
> > > ERROR:Simulator:170 - FMF/gen_utils is not compiled properly. Please
> > > recompile
> > > FMF/gen_utils in file "" without -incremental option.
> > >
> > > ERROR:Simulator:199 - Failed when handling dependencies for entity

> tb_board,
> > > architecture testbench_arch
> > >
> > > I have no "J:" drive other than the CDRom (empty)
> > >
> > > Is Vital 2000 not installed in 8.2i or do i miss something?
> > >
> > >
> > >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Clark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2006
devices wrote:
> Tired of crosswords i decided to face the issue
> with a little more patience. I "explicitly" compiled
> the files in the following order
>
> gen_utils.vhd (in the fmf library)
> conversions.vhd (in the fmf library)
> at25320a.vhd
> spi.vhd
> board.vhd
> tb_board.vhd
>
> Then i ran the "Ise Simulator". It finally worked.
>
> I would expect an IDE to take care of the compilation order
> or at least to let me enter the file names in the right order.
> I'm afraid that every change i make i have to manually recompile
> the whole chain.


No, you should not need to recompile the whole chain. In general, the
first time through, everything needs to be compiled in the right order
(which is a real pain, I agree). After that, you should only need to
compile a file that has changed, and the next file down the list only if
something has changed in the entity.

But I will agree that sometimes that doesn't seem to work, or somewhere
I missed a step. For this reason, and so that I can recompile everything
from scratch, I tend to always have around a batch file (that I name
"compile") that explicitly recompiles everything in the right order.
That is, it is a list of commands:
vcom file1.vhd
vcom file2.vhd
....

Therefore, at the command line, I can do:
rm -rf work
vlib work
../compile

Those commands are of course from Modelsim on a Linux system, but you
could do the same on Windows and I assume the ISE simulator has similar
command line commands. Modelsim also has a build project menu command
that will perform a similar task, but I generally prefer the command line.
 
Reply With Quote
 
devices
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2006
I would use a batch file, but i'm afraid that the GUI views wouldn't be
updated in accordance to reflect the state of the project. I also read
somewhere that it is possible to change the compilation order modifying an
".ini" file or something. I guess it is a "use it at your own risk"
solution. A batch file would give me more freedom if the Navigator was aware
of it.

"Duane Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kzRZg.16399$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> devices wrote:
> > Tired of crosswords i decided to face the issue
> > with a little more patience. I "explicitly" compiled
> > the files in the following order
> >
> > gen_utils.vhd (in the fmf library)
> > conversions.vhd (in the fmf library)
> > at25320a.vhd
> > spi.vhd
> > board.vhd
> > tb_board.vhd
> >
> > Then i ran the "Ise Simulator". It finally worked.
> >
> > I would expect an IDE to take care of the compilation order
> > or at least to let me enter the file names in the right order.
> > I'm afraid that every change i make i have to manually recompile
> > the whole chain.

>
> No, you should not need to recompile the whole chain. In general, the
> first time through, everything needs to be compiled in the right order
> (which is a real pain, I agree). After that, you should only need to
> compile a file that has changed, and the next file down the list only if
> something has changed in the entity.
>
> But I will agree that sometimes that doesn't seem to work, or somewhere
> I missed a step. For this reason, and so that I can recompile everything
> from scratch, I tend to always have around a batch file (that I name
> "compile") that explicitly recompiles everything in the right order.
> That is, it is a list of commands:
> vcom file1.vhd
> vcom file2.vhd
> ...
>
> Therefore, at the command line, I can do:
> rm -rf work
> vlib work
> ./compile
>
> Those commands are of course from Modelsim on a Linux system, but you
> could do the same on Windows and I assume the ISE simulator has similar
> command line commands. Modelsim also has a build project menu command
> that will perform a similar task, but I generally prefer the command line.



 
Reply With Quote
 
FMF
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006
ModelSim has a vmake command that should do everything for you. I do
not use it so this may be just hearsay.

The .mem file format is documented in the model. Also see the FAQ on
the FMF website (www.FreeModelFoundry.com).

devices wrote:
> I would use a batch file, but i'm afraid that the GUI views wouldn't be
> updated in accordance to reflect the state of the project. I also read
> somewhere that it is possible to change the compilation order modifying an
> ".ini" file or something. I guess it is a "use it at your own risk"
> solution. A batch file would give me more freedom if the Navigator was aware
> of it.
>
> "Duane Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kzRZg.16399$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> devices wrote:
>>> Tired of crosswords i decided to face the issue
>>> with a little more patience. I "explicitly" compiled
>>> the files in the following order
>>>
>>> gen_utils.vhd (in the fmf library)
>>> conversions.vhd (in the fmf library)
>>> at25320a.vhd
>>> spi.vhd
>>> board.vhd
>>> tb_board.vhd
>>>
>>> Then i ran the "Ise Simulator". It finally worked.
>>>
>>> I would expect an IDE to take care of the compilation order
>>> or at least to let me enter the file names in the right order.
>>> I'm afraid that every change i make i have to manually recompile
>>> the whole chain.

>> No, you should not need to recompile the whole chain. In general, the
>> first time through, everything needs to be compiled in the right order
>> (which is a real pain, I agree). After that, you should only need to
>> compile a file that has changed, and the next file down the list only if
>> something has changed in the entity.
>>
>> But I will agree that sometimes that doesn't seem to work, or somewhere
>> I missed a step. For this reason, and so that I can recompile everything
>> from scratch, I tend to always have around a batch file (that I name
>> "compile") that explicitly recompiles everything in the right order.
>> That is, it is a list of commands:
>> vcom file1.vhd
>> vcom file2.vhd
>> ...
>>
>> Therefore, at the command line, I can do:
>> rm -rf work
>> vlib work
>> ./compile
>>
>> Those commands are of course from Modelsim on a Linux system, but you
>> could do the same on Windows and I assume the ISE simulator has similar
>> command line commands. Modelsim also has a build project menu command
>> that will perform a similar task, but I generally prefer the command line.

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Clark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006
devices wrote:
> I would use a batch file, but i'm afraid that the GUI views wouldn't be
> updated in accordance to reflect the state of the project. I also read
> somewhere that it is possible to change the compilation order modifying an
> ".ini" file or something. I guess it is a "use it at your own risk"
> solution. A batch file would give me more freedom if the Navigator was aware
> of it.


If you compile outside the gui, and then restart the simulation using
"restart -f", then the gui will indeed recognize the changes you have made.


 
Reply With Quote
 
devices
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006

"FMF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ModelSim has a vmake command that should do everything for you. I do
> not use it so this may be just hearsay.


Fortunately after i compiled the chain in the right order i don't need to
recompile it all again... provided that every change i make doesn't involve
the library, i guess. I just get the usual warnings but it runs. I wrote a
basic state machine to perform a READ command through my SPI.vhd and i get
the expected values.


> The .mem file format is documented in the model. Also see the FAQ on
> the FMF website (www.FreeModelFoundry.com).


I've taken care of that. The notes in the model are almost all that is
needed to write the .mem file, but i had to take a look at MemPreload
process itself either. I was hoping i could write multiple data values on a
single line, but that's not allowed. It shouldn't be so hard to implement it
though.

Here my sample .mem file

/test
@000
19
@010
bb
@020
9a

I'm writing an SPI module to drive MMC or SD so, again, models for such
devices would be useful. I2C seeprom models like 24lcxx would also be useful
to test I2C master communication.
As far as i know only Denali's MMAV has some of those models, but MMAV is a
long way to go to get just a single model every once in a while.


> devices wrote:
> > I would use a batch file, but i'm afraid that the GUI views wouldn't be
> > updated in accordance to reflect the state of the project. I also read
> > somewhere that it is possible to change the compilation order modifying

an
> > ".ini" file or something. I guess it is a "use it at your own risk"
> > solution. A batch file would give me more freedom if the Navigator was

aware
> > of it.
> >
> > "Duane Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:kzRZg.16399$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >> devices wrote:
> >>> Tired of crosswords i decided to face the issue
> >>> with a little more patience. I "explicitly" compiled
> >>> the files in the following order
> >>>
> >>> gen_utils.vhd (in the fmf library)
> >>> conversions.vhd (in the fmf library)
> >>> at25320a.vhd
> >>> spi.vhd
> >>> board.vhd
> >>> tb_board.vhd
> >>>
> >>> Then i ran the "Ise Simulator". It finally worked.
> >>>
> >>> I would expect an IDE to take care of the compilation order
> >>> or at least to let me enter the file names in the right order.
> >>> I'm afraid that every change i make i have to manually recompile
> >>> the whole chain.
> >> No, you should not need to recompile the whole chain. In general, the
> >> first time through, everything needs to be compiled in the right order
> >> (which is a real pain, I agree). After that, you should only need to
> >> compile a file that has changed, and the next file down the list only

if
> >> something has changed in the entity.
> >>
> >> But I will agree that sometimes that doesn't seem to work, or somewhere
> >> I missed a step. For this reason, and so that I can recompile

everything
> >> from scratch, I tend to always have around a batch file (that I name
> >> "compile") that explicitly recompiles everything in the right order.
> >> That is, it is a list of commands:
> >> vcom file1.vhd
> >> vcom file2.vhd
> >> ...
> >>
> >> Therefore, at the command line, I can do:
> >> rm -rf work
> >> vlib work
> >> ./compile
> >>
> >> Those commands are of course from Modelsim on a Linux system, but you
> >> could do the same on Windows and I assume the ISE simulator has similar
> >> command line commands. Modelsim also has a build project menu command
> >> that will perform a similar task, but I generally prefer the command

line.
> >
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
devices
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006

"Duane Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:S961h.2166$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> devices wrote:
> > I would use a batch file, but i'm afraid that the GUI views wouldn't be
> > updated in accordance to reflect the state of the project. I also read
> > somewhere that it is possible to change the compilation order modifying

an
> > ".ini" file or something. I guess it is a "use it at your own risk"
> > solution. A batch file would give me more freedom if the Navigator was

aware
> > of it.

>
> If you compile outside the gui, and then restart the simulation using
> "restart -f", then the gui will indeed recognize the changes you have

made.

I don't know if i can issue a "restart -f" under Windows. Anyway this is not
so important as long as i'm not forced to recompile the whole chain on every
change and fortunately this is not the case (til now).



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FMF Spansion model & timing Niv VHDL 3 05-09-2007 01:45 PM
Using python for writing models: How to run models in restricted python mode? vinjvinj Python 15 11-10-2005 09:57 AM
Re: Using python for writing models: How to run models in restrictedpython mode? Jean-Paul Calderone Python 0 11-07-2005 09:35 PM
[ANN] Rails 0.9.2: End of requiring models, models in sessions, fixes David Heinemeier Hansson Ruby 0 12-23-2004 12:45 AM
FMF library ALuPin VHDL 1 04-27-2004 04:41 PM



Advertisments