Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Shortened newsgroup names

Shortened newsgroup names

Moo

Hi,

Just installed Mozilla Thunderbird to try it in place of Outlook express
and it seems pretty good, however, the news group names are shortened to
just a few letters which can make selecting the right news group annoying.

I googled it and came up with a answer saying that is needed to add the
line user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate",false); to my user.js file.

I didn't have a user.js file so I created it in the following folder:

D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\profile

and added the above line. Restarted thunderbird but it hasn't made any
difference.... any suggestions?

Leonidas Jones

Moo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed Mozilla Thunderbird to try it in place of Outlook express
> and it seems pretty good, however, the news group names are shortened to
> just a few letters which can make selecting the right news group annoying.
>
> I googled it and came up with a answer saying that is needed to add the
> line user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate",false); to my user.js file.
>
> I didn't have a user.js file so I created it in the following folder:
>
> D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\profile
>
> and added the above line. Restarted thunderbird but it hasn't made any
> difference.... any suggestions?

You were correct about creating your own user.js, but you inserted it in
the folder that holds defaults for newly created profiles, rather then
in the profile itself. Delete that file.

There is an easier way to do this, using the ui.

Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Config Editor

In the Filter field, type mail.server.default.abbreviate

Right click on the pref and click Toggle to change it to False.

For future reference, here are the locations for profiles of Mozilla
apps in various versions of Windows.

Mozilla, SeaMonkey, Netscape7, or Firefox (For Mozilla/SeaMonkey/NS7
profiles look in the Profiles subfolder, for Firefox, look in
Firefox\Profiles)

WinXP, 2K:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla

Win ME, 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla

For Thunderbird, replace Mozilla with Thunderbird in above paths.

Lee

Moo

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Moo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just installed Mozilla Thunderbird to try it in place of Outlook
>> express and it seems pretty good, however, the news group names are
>> shortened to just a few letters which can make selecting the right
>> news group annoying.
>>
>> I googled it and came up with a answer saying that is needed to add
>> the line user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate",false); to my
>> user.js file.
>>
>> I didn't have a user.js file so I created it in the following folder:
>>
>> D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\profile
>>
>> and added the above line. Restarted thunderbird but it hasn't made
>> any difference.... any suggestions?

> You were correct about creating your own user.js, but you inserted it in
> the folder that holds defaults for newly created profiles, rather then
> in the profile itself. Delete that file.
>
> There is an easier way to do this, using the ui.
>
> Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Config Editor
>
> In the Filter field, type mail.server.default.abbreviate
>
> Right click on the pref and click Toggle to change it to False.
>
> For future reference, here are the locations for profiles of Mozilla
> apps in various versions of Windows.
>
> Mozilla, SeaMonkey, Netscape7, or Firefox (For Mozilla/SeaMonkey/NS7
> profiles look in the Profiles subfolder, for Firefox, look in
> Firefox\Profiles)
>
> WinXP, 2K:
> C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla
>
> Win ME, 98:
> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla
>
> For Thunderbird, replace Mozilla with Thunderbird in above paths.
>
> Lee

Thanks very much, that did the job!

Can this program be shortened? Measuring program-length? r.e.s. Python 3 07-11-2008 01:03 AM
Shortened start menu Leo Kline Firefox 2 06-24-2006 08:46 PM
Converting 'flat' gate level names to hierarchical names Paddy McCarthy VHDL 3 09-24-2004 05:34 PM
Is it possible to display newsgroup names not shortened? Jarmo P Firefox 1 10-08-2003 10:10 AM

Advertisments