Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wps54g linksys print server

wps54g linksys print server

djc

I have this unit with the latest firmware. Once powered on it works, for
while. It always stops working and nothing but a power off / power on gets
it working again. I don't know exactly how long it works before stoping but
it consistently works after a power cycle and then just stops working. All
LEDs are good.

I have tried different channels on my AP (router) with no luck. I'm using
WPA Personal with tkip and MAC filtering. I have 2 other wireless computers
on the same network that never have any problems.

basically, every time I need to print something I have to first power cycle
the wps54g. Major pain. Linksys support is hilarious. Complete idiots. I
actually only tried them for a laugh.

I think this thing just sucks and there is no fix. But I figured I would see
if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution? (other than buying
something new of course)

I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and work
for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA, mac
filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
while.. that should rule out that basic crap.

Charlie Hoffpauir

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:24:17 -0400, "djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have this unit with the latest firmware. Once powered on it works, for
>while. It always stops working and nothing but a power off / power on gets
>it working again. I don't know exactly how long it works before stoping but
>it consistently works after a power cycle and then just stops working. All
>LEDs are good.
>
>I have tried different channels on my AP (router) with no luck. I'm using
>WPA Personal with tkip and MAC filtering. I have 2 other wireless computers
>on the same network that never have any problems.
>
>basically, every time I need to print something I have to first power cycle
>the wps54g. Major pain. Linksys support is hilarious. Complete idiots. I
>actually only tried them for a laugh.
>
>I think this thing just sucks and there is no fix. But I figured I would see
>if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution? (other than buying
>something new of course)
>
>I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
>working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
>devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
>interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and work
>for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA, mac
>filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
>linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
>key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
>not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
>while.. that should rule out that basic crap.

I'm really glad you posted your problem... I almost bought that unit,
(because I have a Linksys WRT54G that works fine), but found a
reconditioned Netgear WGPS606 for $50 at Fry's (vs $100 new), so I
bought that instead. I was almost wishing I had got the Linksys while
trying to set up the Netgear, but once I got it installed, it's been
great. It supports two USB printers, as well as up to 4 computers
connected by ethernet cables. I tested it and found that it will also
support my hacked Tivo, so it's been a real winner for me. I got it
about a week ago, so if you're near a Fry's, you might give it a try.

Charlie Hoffpauir

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=

If your other two computers have no problems using the print server, then the
one computer is probably disconnecting to save power. Right-click on the
connection and check the power settings.

BTW, tech support personnel follow a scripted set of questions to ask. This
will fix 90% of the the problems presented. However, thinking "outside the
box" is not in their realm.

MD

"djc" wrote:

> I have this unit with the latest firmware. Once powered on it works, for
> while. It always stops working and nothing but a power off / power on gets
> it working again. I don't know exactly how long it works before stoping but
> it consistently works after a power cycle and then just stops working. All
> LEDs are good.
>
> I have tried different channels on my AP (router) with no luck. I'm using
> WPA Personal with tkip and MAC filtering. I have 2 other wireless computers
> on the same network that never have any problems.
>
> basically, every time I need to print something I have to first power cycle
> the wps54g. Major pain. Linksys support is hilarious. Complete idiots. I
> actually only tried them for a laugh.
>
> I think this thing just sucks and there is no fix. But I figured I would see
> if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution? (other than buying
> something new of course)
>
> I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
> working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
> devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
> interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and work
> for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA, mac
> filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
> linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
> key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
> not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
> while.. that should rule out that basic crap.

DavidT

i had a simular problem with my D-Link PS would only last a day....switched
back to my Netgear WGPS606 qand the thing is rock solid...only had to power
cycle once in the last 30+ days...agree a bit of a pain to set the netgear
up but it is a good PS

"Charlie Hoffpauir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:24:17 -0400, "djc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have this unit with the latest firmware. Once powered on it works, for
>>while. It always stops working and nothing but a power off / power on gets
>>it working again. I don't know exactly how long it works before stoping
>>but
>>it consistently works after a power cycle and then just stops working. All
>>LEDs are good.
>>
>>I have tried different channels on my AP (router) with no luck. I'm using
>>WPA Personal with tkip and MAC filtering. I have 2 other wireless
>>computers
>>on the same network that never have any problems.
>>
>>basically, every time I need to print something I have to first power
>>cycle
>>the wps54g. Major pain. Linksys support is hilarious. Complete idiots. I
>>actually only tried them for a laugh.
>>
>>I think this thing just sucks and there is no fix. But I figured I would
>>see
>>if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution? (other than buying
>>something new of course)
>>
>>I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
>>working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
>>devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
>>interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and work
>>for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA,
>>mac
>>filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
>>linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
>>key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
>>not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
>>while.. that should rule out that basic crap.
>>

> I'm really glad you posted your problem... I almost bought that unit,
> (because I have a Linksys WRT54G that works fine), but found a
> reconditioned Netgear WGPS606 for $50 at Fry's (vs $100 new), so I
> bought that instead. I was almost wishing I had got the Linksys while
> trying to set up the Netgear, but once I got it installed, it's been
> great. It supports two USB printers, as well as up to 4 computers
> connected by ethernet cables. I tested it and found that it will also
> support my hacked Tivo, so it's been a real winner for me. I got it
> about a week ago, so if you're near a Fry's, you might give it a try.
>

> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

djc

thanks for the reply. To clarify, when I say the other computers don't have
any problems I mean they don't have any problems staying connected to the
network (the AP). When the print server stops working it really stops
working. No computers can connect to it. Pings just time out.

ya, I know what you mean about the tech following a script. Its extremely
frustrating for someone that is moderately knowledgable to have to talk to
them since its likely the knowledgable person has already done those things.

thanks again.

"MadDog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your other two computers have no problems using the print server, then
> the
> one computer is probably disconnecting to save power. Right-click on the
> connection and check the power settings.
>
> BTW, tech support personnel follow a scripted set of questions to ask.
> This
> will fix 90% of the the problems presented. However, thinking "outside
> the
> box" is not in their realm.
>
> MD
>

> "djc" wrote:
>
>> I have this unit with the latest firmware. Once powered on it works, for
>> while. It always stops working and nothing but a power off / power on
>> gets
>> it working again. I don't know exactly how long it works before stoping
>> but
>> it consistently works after a power cycle and then just stops working.
>> All
>> LEDs are good.
>>
>> I have tried different channels on my AP (router) with no luck. I'm using
>> WPA Personal with tkip and MAC filtering. I have 2 other wireless
>> computers
>> on the same network that never have any problems.
>>
>> basically, every time I need to print something I have to first power
>> cycle
>> the wps54g. Major pain. Linksys support is hilarious. Complete idiots. I
>> actually only tried them for a laugh.
>>
>> I think this thing just sucks and there is no fix. But I figured I would
>> see
>> if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution? (other than
>> buying
>> something new of course)
>>
>> I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
>> working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
>> devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
>> interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and
>> work
>> for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA,
>> mac
>> filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
>> linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
>> key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
>> not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
>> while.. that should rule out that basic crap.

michiel.prins@gmail.com

I have exactly the same problem with two of these boxes... No solution
so far. Have you founf anything already?

TAX

djc wrote:

> [...]
> >> buying
> >> something new of course)
> >>
> >> I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
> >> working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
> >> devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
> >> interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and
> >> work
> >> for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA,
> >> mac
> >> filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
> >> linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
> >> key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
> >> not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
> >> while.. that should rule out that basic crap.

Lem

djc wrote:
> [...]
>>> buying
>>> something new of course)
>>>
>>> I really don't know what could cause something that works to just stop
>>> working, other than real crappy equipment. I mean considering no other
>>> devices on the network have any problems it can't be my router or
>>> interference. And considering the wps54g does connect at power up and
>>> work
>>> for a while (I do print successfully) the wireless settings (SSID, WPA,
>>> mac
>>> filting, etc..) are all fine. Of course that doesn't stop the retarded
>>> linksys support person from telling you to check the SSID, check the WPA
>>> key, ... if any of those were wrong it would not ever associate and would
>>> not work at all. The first thing I say to them is that it does work for a
>>> while.. that should rule out that basic crap.

There's a forum especially for Linksys print servers:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/fo...play.php?f=122

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking