Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > blocked file download

blocked file download

yonny

Hey Ive got a really big problem im an ardent fan of the prison break
series and the uni has done me a great disservice by blocking downloads
of certain file types or file extensions when i try to download an mp3
wma avi or rar file I get this error page

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL:
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~keechun...0II,%20III.mp3

The following error was encountered:

Access Denied.
Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed
at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is
incorrect.

Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:34:15 GMT by menengai (Squid/2.4.STABLE7)

Can you please help me , give me suggestions on how to create a hole in
the firewall or something please.

Jason

* yonny <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Hey Ive got a really big problem im an ardent fan of the prison break
> series and the uni has done me a great disservice by blocking downloads
> of certain file types or file extensions when i try to download an mp3
> wma avi or rar file I get this error page

Good for them, nice to see a university smart enough to try to stop
people from stealing.

Go buy the damn dvd set.

Jim Watt

On 15 Sep 2006 07:16:39 -0700, "yonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can you please help me , give me suggestions on how to create a hole in
>the firewall or something please.

Maybe the guy here could help ?

http://www.tompkinsready.org/communi...s/lansing.aspx
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Sebastian Gottschalk

Jason wrote:

> * yonny <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> Hey Ive got a really big problem im an ardent fan of the prison break
>> series and the uni has done me a great disservice by blocking downloads
>> of certain file types or file extensions when i try to download an mp3
>> wma avi or rar file I get this error page
>>

> Good for them, nice to see a university smart enough to try to stop
> people from stealing.

Neither does a download imply a copyright violation (what about commercial
download services) nor is a copyright infringement particularly comparable
to theft.

> Go buy the damn dvd set.

Can you play a DVD on your PSP or iPod Video?

Todd H.

Sebastian Gottschalk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Can you play a DVD on your PSP or iPod Video?

And can you get a DVD of the new episodes from this season?

Umm... no.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Stuart Miller

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 15 Sep 2006 07:16:39 -0700, "yonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Can you please help me , give me suggestions on how to create a hole in
>>the firewall or something please.

> Maybe the guy here could help ?
>
> http://www.tompkinsready.org/communi...s/lansing.aspx
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Good one

To yonny-
Those file are blocked for a reason - why should anyone help you break the
block?
As long as you are getting free or subsidized internet, you must abide by
the rules.
If you want other content, go pay for you own connection.

Stuart

Jim Watt

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:39:09 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Those file are blocked for a reason - why should anyone help you break the
>block?
>As long as you are getting free or subsidized internet, you must abide by
>the rules.
>If you want other content, go pay for you own connection.

Indeed, the Internet is provided for educational purposes
and using it to download entertainment prevents others
using the shared bandwidth from using it efficiently
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Jean-François Gobin

Hello there,

Aside of ethical, behavioural and legal questions ...those are for you and
you should be able to think in term of "what am i doing" (trying to download
a piece of baroc music - even if I find that this version is definitely not
the best I've heard, if you want a real version of this concerto, go for
Rene Jacobs, The Ricercar Consort, Nikolaus Harnoncourt or Gustav Leonhardt)
and "what will be the consequences" (Are you going to be thrown out of the
university for that ?)

Your university system is either blocking the site OR the mp3 extension.

First case ... try to find an "anonymizer" to surf : this is a site acting
as a proxy.

Second case : you have to find a way to change the extension AND the mime
type. Either by compressing it, crypting it or whatever ... or establishing
an ssl connection to a proxy which in turn will allow you to download the
file in question.

Regards,
Jean-Francois

(E-Mail Removed) om...

Stuart Miller wrote:

> "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 15 Sep 2006 07:16:39 -0700, "yonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Can you please help me , give me suggestions on how to create a hole in
>>>the firewall or something please.

>> Maybe the guy here could help ?
>>
>> http://www.tompkinsready.org/communi...s/lansing.aspx
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

> Good one
>
> To yonny- Those file are blocked for a reason

Yes, stupidity.

> why should anyone help you break the block?

Circumventing implemented stupidity?

> As long as you are getting free or subsidized internet, you must abide by
> the rules.

May be, but there are no rules that prohibit such a thing.

nemo_outis

"yonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Hey Ive got a really big problem im an ardent fan of the prison break
> series and the uni has done me a great disservice by blocking
> downloads of certain file types or file extensions when i try to
> download an mp3 wma avi or rar file I get this error page

I don't know the specifics of your system, but the simplest one-word
solution (shades of "The Graduate"!) is: tunnelling.

You must tunnel out (preferably - no, make that mandatorily, encrypted) to
a proxy server that will then get to you where on the net you want to go to
hoover down whatever it is you're interested in.

Tunnelling is a principle, not a specific technology, and there are many
methods subsumed within it (SSL, SSH, Httptunnel, Httphost, etc.). The
best method varies with the specifics of the situation (e.g., what ports
the university allows through, etc.). Tor would be one convenient choice
(although it's a mortal sin to burden privacy networks with great wads of
binary traffic). The Http tunnel family of methods is probably the most
robust in tunnelling through a port-limited system (some even carry dummy
http cover traffic in the packets to look unencrypted!).

Regards,