Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Newbie alert! How to revert from Frames to Single page view?

Newbie alert! How to revert from Frames to Single page view?

evillen@gmail.com

Hi

Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
number of Frames.

I need to be able to click on a new link within (for example) frame A
and for that link to open up in the full browser window - instead what
currently happens is that the new link just replaces what was
previously in frame A, and the other frames remain displayed.

I hope this is clear, thanks for any and all help.

Len

<frameset cols="15%,85%"><!-- A -->
<frame src="sr_menu.html">

<frameset rows="25%,75%"><!-- B -->

<frameset cols="33%,33%,33%"><!-- C -->
<frame src="sql_select.html">
<frame src="sql_update.html">
<frame src="sql_new.html">
</frameset><!-- C -->

<frame src="cgi-bin/results.cgi">
</frameset><!-- B -->

</frameset><!-- /A -->

mbstevens

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 04:57:03 -0700, evillen wrote:

> Hi
>
> Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
> number of Frames.

Bad idea in most cases.
http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html

> I need to be able to click on a new link within (for example) frame A and
> for that link to open up in the full browser window

Bad idea.
It makes the site less accessible because it breaks the browser's
back-button. Won't work well on many devices. Let the visitor decide how
she wants her links to open in her own browser preferences.

Andy Dingley

> Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
> number of Frames.

Bad idea, but if you _must_ do this, look up the use of the "target"
attribute on the <a> element.

evillen@gmail.com

Andy Dingley wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
> > number of Frames.

> Bad idea, but if you _must_ do this, look up the use of the "target"
> attribute on the <a> element.

OK it seems as though the collective wisdom is to avoid Frames like the
plague.... such a shame when they look so nice

Jonathan N. Little

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Andy Dingley wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Below I have some html code for creating a Single page built up from a
>>> number of Frames.

>> Bad idea, but if you _must_ do this, look up the use of the "target"
>> attribute on the <a> element.

> OK it seems as though the collective wisdom is to avoid Frames like the
> plague.... such a shame when they look so nice

In the past frames was about the only way to "easily" modularly build a
page, server-side scripting and databases were rare and expensive.

*That was then this is now*

PHP is so ubiquitous now and quick to learn that there really is not
reason to use frames. It can look as nice or better (because your insert
do not have to be strict rectangular 'zones'). It is far easier to
manage. Google "how to insert one webpage into another" and you will be
blessed with tutorials, examples and templates...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO