Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Switch-assisted Load Balancing

Switch-assisted Load Balancing

pete

Here's something that I can just not find too much documentation on and
is just not working the way that I expect.

I am trying to run HP's Switch-assisted Load Balancing (SLB) (aka HP
Network adapter teaming} on a 6509 Cisco switch so that I can have a
multi gig connection between the switch and the server.
Is anyone running this successfully so that they can both transmit AND
receive packets on all NICs in the team ?

I am configured for a port channel group on all ports that my server
but the mac address for the team only seems to appear on one port
rather than all ports in the "show mac-address table"
Essentialy, I am sending packets out of all NICs in the team but only
seem to be receiving on one of the ports.
If anyone has anyone input or success with this, please share

TIA

Jeff C

"pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1105500835.945495.70800
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Here's something that I can just not find too much documentation on and
> is just not working the way that I expect.
>
> I am trying to run HP's Switch-assisted Load Balancing (SLB) (aka HP
> Network adapter teaming} on a 6509 Cisco switch so that I can have a
> multi gig connection between the switch and the server.
> Is anyone running this successfully so that they can both transmit AND
> receive packets on all NICs in the team ?
>
> I am configured for a port channel group on all ports that my server
> but the mac address for the team only seems to appear on one port
> rather than all ports in the "show mac-address table"
> Essentialy, I am sending packets out of all NICs in the team but only
> seem to be receiving on one of the ports.
> If anyone has anyone input or success with this, please share
>
> TIA

Is the 6500 running CatOS? Be sure that the switch ports are set to
on not desirable or auto. I recall that there is something from the
server side about teaming and I think that you want to use the other
setting, was it MAC based? The server guys do that end of things.

Good luck,
-Jeff

mvr fu

"Jeff C" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:Xns95DBE2F0DFBFEjeffcaslakedomailmar@68.12.19 .6...
> "pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1105500835.945495.70800
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
> setting, was it MAC based? The server guys do that end of things.

I do not remember it well, but I think it was a matter of setting MAC mode
and configuring the switchport not to learn the mac adresses, so that all
packets for the (shared) MAC are forwarded/broadcasted to both ports.

Good luck

Mike*

pete

I have configured the IOS 6500 for a "port-channel group mode on"
and that's it.
When I look at the MACs on the switch, I see that they are seen on the
port-channel interface.
this is good.
With a test, while using the mac xor algorithm, I can see the data go
down either link one or link two on depending on what I set the mac
address to. This is what should be happening. I think that it's
important to note that while testing this, you will not see a marked
improvement as you test form one machine to another. The switch and the
server(s) are balancing the data, not doubling the effective throughput