Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Mandatory Profiles

Mandatory Profiles

Bill Havens Bill Havens is offline
Junior Member

I am going through the new Learning Kit for the Windows 2003 Tests. Anyhow I am working on the roaming profile section. Specifically on the mandatory profiles. I have done network setup and administration for two years now. When ever transfering the profile over using the built in method it does not update the wallpaper setting correctly. It always leaves it as the last users local settings\... folder as wallpaper1.bmp. Now on my server I have manually opened up the user data for forced the location to C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\Windows XP.jpg. When I log in on my XP test machine it does not show the background. If I right click and go to properties it shows the modified them with the correct image there. If I hit ok then it pops up on the background. If I edit the registry and look at the path before hitting ok it is the location of the file in the above path. If I copy the path and put it into the run line the image comes right up. It is not an issue with not having access to the file. Now after I hit ok then the registry path changes to the local settings folder and will stay that way until I log off. If I setup the path as the local settings folder in the registry using variables and what not it does not work at all as the wallpaper1.bmp file is not there until I tell it which image I want and it creates it on the fly. When I log off this file gets deleted and the whole process starts over again. The local settings folder is not something that gets copied back and forth between the server and the client for roaming profiles.

Thanks for the help

Bill