Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Dell Dimension E510 Wireless Help

Dell Dimension E510 Wireless Help

reed hunt reed hunt is offline
Junior Member

Hello.

I am trying to install a wireless card on my Dell Dim E510 but the expansion slot that came with the computer doesn't appear to be the right size (my terminology will be off, but the slot appears to be full-length with one "break" in it - so most of the slot is one long channel then there's another channel that's separated slightly from the main one.)

I am hoping to use my D-Link DWL-G520 card in this machine but it has a different slot size (smaller) and configuration than the existing slot.

I spoke with Dell and they said they do have a wireless card for my machine (which is more the the others, of course) but it seems to me that the D-Link card should fit (I called D-Link, too, and that's their standard configuration).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, is there a wireless product (antenna) that uses a USB port and/or one that uses an ethernet connection?

Thanks in advance.

-Reed

Update - I just purchased a D-Link wireless USB network adapter - anyone care to comment on this unit?

Last edited by reed hunt; 09-14-2006 at 10:27 PM..

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Your D-Link card is a PCI device, and can only go into a PCI slot. I know that there are many types of slots out now. I bet you have at least one open PCI slot in that motherboard. It's going to be white, and it's slightly shorter than the AGP or PCI-e videocard slot. Your card will only fit the one type of slot.

I use several USB wireless-G adapters on my computers, and they generally work well. Windows XP should recognize them automatically.

Don35 Don35 is offline
Junior Member

The USB adapter should work fine

jayhawklover92 jayhawklover92 is offline
Junior Member

I got to this place....now i don't know how to post a problem. Can somebody help me?