Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > SMTP traffic getting through router and firewall

SMTP traffic getting through router and firewall

K.J. 44

I am able to telnet to my SMTP server from my router and I can see a
permit match on the ACL of my outer interface of my router when someone
from outside telnet's in, but their connection doesn't work.

ROUTER --------- FIREWALL --------SMTP Server

Is there a way to see if the packet is making it through the router and
to the ASA? I tried debug smtp but nothing came up even when the
connection was successful from the router. There are no ACLs outbound
on my inside interface of the router.

Internet ---------Router -------------Firewall --------SMTP Server
Works from here------------------->
Works to here----|
ACL match permits into outside interface.

Thanks.

K.J. 44

it is allowed by the ACL:

*Sep 14 18:37:52.195: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list filterin permitted tcp
206.114.4
7.212(1890) (FastEthernet0/1 00a0.c815.e26d) -> PUBLIC IP(25), 1 packet

but it doesn't make it out of the router. I have a static route to
send it to the firewall. What could be getting in the way?

Thanks.

K.J. 44 wrote:
> I am able to telnet to my SMTP server from my router and I can see a
> permit match on the ACL of my outer interface of my router when someone
> from outside telnet's in, but their connection doesn't work.
>
> ROUTER --------- FIREWALL --------SMTP Server
>

> Is there a way to see if the packet is making it through the router and
> to the ASA? I tried debug smtp but nothing came up even when the
> connection was successful from the router. There are no ACLs outbound
> on my inside interface of the router.
>
> Internet ---------Router -------------Firewall --------SMTP Server
> Works from here------------------->
> Works to here----|
> ACL match permits into outside interface.
>
> Thanks.

K.J. 44

Nevermind, all is well. Wasn't allowing return traffic out of the
outside interface. All set now. Talk to you guys when i start working
on VPNs....

Thanks for all your help and support.