Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Gigabit Etherchannel

Gigabit Etherchannel

Alexdj

Hi,
I have just got a intel pro/1000 MT dual Nic. I have set up
etherchannel on the 2 switch ports and set up teaming within PROset.
Both side look like they are teamed correctly for load balancing. But
windows 2003 sees the virtual adapter connected at 1 Gbps. Has anyone
else seen this prob and might have a solution.

Thanks
Kevin

Alexander Apathy

Alexdj wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just got a intel pro/1000 MT dual Nic. I have set up
> etherchannel on the 2 switch ports and set up teaming within PROset.
> Both side look like they are teamed correctly for load balancing. But
> windows 2003 sees the virtual adapter connected at 1 Gbps. Has anyone
> else seen this prob and might have a solution.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

If you have set up an Etherchannel on your switch already, the only
thing you have to do is to enable it on your NIC, too. Intel NICs do
support Etherchannel.

Note: teaming != Etherchannel/trunking/link aggregation. Teaming is a HA
feature only and I use it to connect a single server with two NICs to
two seperate switches.

You only have 1 Gbps when teaming because only one NIC is active, the
other is in standby mode. Should the primary NIC fail, the standby NIC
takes over.

HTH,
Alexander

alexdj

Hi cheers for the reply, I have set up the teaming on the nic and set
it to "static link agregation" which is the term intel use for using
etherchannel using pagp. and both nics show as active in the intel
software , this is where im getting confused not sure if its just
windows reporting the speed incorrectly

Alexander Apathy

alexdj wrote:
> Hi cheers for the reply, I have set up the teaming on the nic and set
> it to "static link agregation" which is the term intel use for using

Long time ago, I took a look at the NIC settings Static link
aggregation should do the thing for you, pagp is exactly what you need.

> etherchannel using pagp. and both nics show as active in the intel
> software , this is where im getting confused not sure if its just
> windows reporting the speed incorrectly

If the Intel PRO software shows both NICs active, it should work as
expected. I can't remember, if Windows reports doubled speed in such a case.

But there is some I/O information implemented in Intel's software you
should check if really *both* NICs are sending/receiving traffic. On the
switch you should display your EtherChannel / ports and check the
counters for traffic.

If you need further information I can post the relevant parts of a Fast
EtherChannel config from a 8.1-based Cat6500 and some show outputs as
well. In my case the channel goes to an ancient Linux box with two Intel
PRO/100 cards.

Alexander