Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Uses for Screen OCR Technology ???

Reply
Thread Tools

Uses for Screen OCR Technology ???

 
 
Peter Olcott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
I have technology that is similar to OCR technology except that it determines
rather than estimates its results. The main advantage over conventional OCR
technology is that it is much more accurate with very small fonts. Current
testing indicates that it can achieve 100% accuracy with fonts as small as 6
point. It also works with both types of font smoothing.

I have thought of a few different uses for this technology, I want to see if
anyone here can come up with any more uses.

--
Patented SeeScreen enables
programs to see anything on
the computer display screen
www.SeeScreen.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Oliver Wong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006

"Peter Olcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5pVNg.11679$Tl4.2650@dukeread06...
> I have technology that is similar to OCR technology except that it
> determines
> rather than estimates its results.


The difference being that the former is an exact value with certainty,
and the latter is a guess or approximation?

> The main advantage over conventional OCR
> technology is that it is much more accurate with very small fonts. Current
> testing indicates that it can achieve 100% accuracy with fonts as small as
> 6
> point.


Does it work with the fonts "WingDing", "Symbols", or my specially
crafted "all characters are invisible" font?

> It also works with both types of font smoothing.


Are there only 2 types?

>
> I have thought of a few different uses for this technology, I want to see
> if
> anyone here can come up with any more uses.


Might help if you posted the uses you came up with, so we'll know which
ones are "more", and which ones are "already thought of those".

Might be useful for turning a scanned image of a document into a text
file.

- Oliver

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Olcott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006

"Oliver Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vg_Ng.8115$E67.2267@clgrps13...
>
> "Peter Olcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5pVNg.11679$Tl4.2650@dukeread06...
>> I have technology that is similar to OCR technology except that it determines
>> rather than estimates its results.

>
> The difference being that the former is an exact value with certainty, and
> the latter is a guess or approximation?
>
>> The main advantage over conventional OCR
>> technology is that it is much more accurate with very small fonts. Current
>> testing indicates that it can achieve 100% accuracy with fonts as small as 6
>> point.

>
> Does it work with the fonts "WingDing", "Symbols", or my specially crafted
> "all characters are invisible" font?


It works with any machine generated character glyphs that have visible pixels on
the screen. I don't know what your {"all characters are invisible" font} is, but
if the foreground and background colors are identical, then it will not work. No
character recognition technology can possibly work if there is nothing to
recognize.

>
>> It also works with both types of font smoothing.

>
> Are there only 2 types?
>
>>
>> I have thought of a few different uses for this technology, I want to see if
>> anyone here can come up with any more uses.

>
> Might help if you posted the uses you came up with, so we'll know which
> ones are "more", and which ones are "already thought of those".
>
> Might be useful for turning a scanned image of a document into a text file.
>
> - Oliver



 
Reply With Quote
 
Stefan Ram
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
"Peter Olcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have technology that is similar to OCR technology except that
>it determines rather than estimates its results. The main
>advantage over conventional OCR technology is that it is much
>more accurate with very small fonts.


See

http://www.structurise.com/kleptomania/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Olcott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006

"Stefan Ram" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Peter Olcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>I have technology that is similar to OCR technology except that
>>it determines rather than estimates its results. The main
>>advantage over conventional OCR technology is that it is much
>>more accurate with very small fonts.

>
> See
>
> http://www.structurise.com/kleptomania/
>


I have extensively reviewed this technology, and it is the next best technology
in the world to www.SeeScreen.com technology. It achieved 44% accuracy when
other technologies such as
http://www.nuance.com/omnipage/ had essentially zero accuracy. Preliminary
tests tentatively indicate that SeeScreen will be able to achieve 100% accuracy
on this same sample. The following is a link that contains the actual sample
http://www.seescreen.com/Unique.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Olcott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2006

"Stefan Ram" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Peter Olcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>I have technology that is similar to OCR technology except that
>>it determines rather than estimates its results. The main
>>advantage over conventional OCR technology is that it is much
>>more accurate with very small fonts.

>
> See
>
> http://www.structurise.com/kleptomania/
>


Basically to boil it down in a nutshell, SeeScreen is very similar to
Kleptomania for text recognition, except that SeeScreen is much more accurate.
Additionally SeeScreen is much more versatile, able to recognize thousands of
arbitrary graphical objects (not just text) from millions of alternatives in a
fraction of a second. This latter capability is very useful for GUI scripting.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Oliver Wong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2006

"Peter Olcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsx%Ng.11785$Tl4.9550@dukeread06...
>
> "Oliver Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vg_Ng.8115$E67.2267@clgrps13...
>>
>>
>> Does it work with the fonts "WingDing", "Symbols", or my specially
>> crafted "all characters are invisible" font?

>
> It works with any machine generated character glyphs that have visible
> pixels on the screen. I don't know what your {"all characters are
> invisible" font} is, but if the foreground and background colors are
> identical, then it will not work. No character recognition technology can
> possibly work if there is nothing to recognize.


I thought I recall you exploring peering directly into RAM, so perhaps
under some conditions you could have determine what text had been entered
into a GUI control, even if such text were invisible. I'll now assume that
you don't do that, and base your recognition entirely on the set of pixels
captured.

In my WingDing font, the character for capital A looks like a right hand
forming the V sign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-sign). In some other
font, that exact same glyph might be used for the character lowercase zeta.
Without peering into RAM, how would you know which of the two fonts are
being used to tell wether to recognize such as glyph as A or zeta?

- Oliver

 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Olcott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2006

"Oliver Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qWcOg.10941$bf5.3350@edtnps90...
>
> "Peter Olcott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsx%Ng.11785$Tl4.9550@dukeread06...
>>
>> "Oliver Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:vg_Ng.8115$E67.2267@clgrps13...
>>>
>>>
>>> Does it work with the fonts "WingDing", "Symbols", or my specially
>>> crafted "all characters are invisible" font?

>>
>> It works with any machine generated character glyphs that have visible pixels
>> on the screen. I don't know what your {"all characters are invisible" font}
>> is, but if the foreground and background colors are identical, then it will
>> not work. No character recognition technology can possibly work if there is
>> nothing to recognize.

>
> I thought I recall you exploring peering directly into RAM, so perhaps
> under some conditions you could have determine what text had been entered into
> a GUI control, even if such text were invisible. I'll now assume that you
> don't do that, and base your recognition entirely on the set of pixels
> captured.


Yes there are methods where this works some of the time. The biggest case where
this never works is when the text is first written to a memory bitmap, and the
bitmap is then copied to the screen.

>
> In my WingDing font, the character for capital A looks like a right hand
> forming the V sign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-sign). In some other font,
> that exact same glyph might be used for the character lowercase zeta. Without
> peering into RAM, how would you know which of the two fonts are being used to
> tell wether to recognize such as glyph as A or zeta?
>
> - Oliver


If there is even a single pixel that is much as a single shade of difference, my
technology can know with certainty which is which. There are various heuristics
that work with great reliability if two glyphs are identical. The heuristics
generally maintain the reliability above 99%. The only case where accuracy may
possibly drop below 100% is where there are two different glyphs in the same
font instance that are identical. If two glyphs are identical, yet, the between
glyph pixel spacing is different, the SeeScreen can still determine which is
which with 100% certainty.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"L" lens technology or "DO" technology?? ..Jan Plexy.. Digital Photography 4 10-04-2005 12:52 PM
Is technology making mankind a threatened species? Thoughts on technology, the future, and somwhere, ethics. Waylon Kenning NZ Computing 31 10-17-2004 09:44 AM
scraping display to obtain all on-screen text using OCR Jonathan Epstein Python 2 05-11-2004 10:38 PM
How to Implement OCR Technology in Asp.net =?Utf-8?B?VmVua2F0Tg==?= ASP .Net 0 02-06-2004 05:06 AM
Urgent! OCR SDK and API or OCR COM integration help Anjali Lourda ASP .Net 0 02-04-2004 06:52 PM



Advertisments