Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Web safe colors

Web safe colors

soundboxster@gmail.com

Hi,

Web safe colors page... -> http://www.freewebs.com/htmlcolorchart/

Runnin' on Empty

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Web safe colors page... -> http://www.freewebs.com/htmlcolorchart/

Of what possible use are web safe colors today?

Not even the one person responsible for popularizing their use thinks you
should us them:

http://www.lynda.com/hex.asp

David Dorward

> Web safe colors

.... are of little relevance now that 256 colour displays are uncommon.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2006-09-12, Runnin' on Empty wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Web safe colors page... -> http://www.freewebs.com/htmlcolorchart/
>>

> Of what possible use are web safe colors today?
>
> Not even the one person responsible for popularizing their use thinks you
> should us them:
>
> http://www.lynda.com/hex.asp

...where she says:

There may be resurgence in the need for the browser-safe
palette when designing for alternative online publishing
devices, such as cell phones and PDAs. Those systems are still
in 1-bit (black and white) or 8-bit color.

and:

there's no harm in using the browser-safe palette either. It
simply limits your choices to 216 colors. Most people don't
have a lot of color picking confidence, and working with
limited color choices is easier. At this point, there's no
right or wrong when it comes to which colors you pick, but
more important to know how to combine colors in pleasing and
effective ways.

Author:

Runnin' on Empty

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2006-09-12, Runnin' on Empty wrote:
>>
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Web safe colors page... -> http://www.freewebs.com/htmlcolorchart/
>>>

>> Of what possible use are web safe colors today?
>>
>> Not even the one person responsible for popularizing their use thinks you
>> should us them:
>>
>> http://www.lynda.com/hex.asp

> ...where she says:

or:

Is the Browser-Safe Palette Dead?
Though this might seem blasphemous to older readers of my books, or loyal
website visitors, I believe it's safe to design without the palette. I
believe this because so few computer users view the web in 256 colors
anymore.

Conversely, there's no harm in using the browser-safe palette either. It
simply limits your choices to 216 colors. Most people don't have a lot of
color picking confidence, and working with limited color choices is easier.
At this point, there's no right or wrong when it comes to which colors you
pick, but more important to know how to combine colors in pleasing and
effective ways.

216 mostly bad color choices IMHO...

She also said:

The browser-safe palette was developed by programmers with no design sense,
I assure you. That's because a designer would have never picked these
colors. Mostly, the palette contains far less light and dark colors than I
wish it did, and is heavy on highly saturated colors and low on muted,
tinted or toned colors.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Runnin' on Empty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> She also said:
>
> The browser-safe palette was developed by programmers with no design sense,
> I assure you. That's because a designer would have never picked these
> colors. Mostly, the palette contains far less light and dark colors than I
> wish it did, and is heavy on highly saturated colors and low on muted,
> tinted or toned colors.

Was there not a useful factor in the ease of categorizing the
websafe colors in respect to #AABBCC? Would or could this non
existent but possible "designer" have chosen and kept to the
simplicity of the idea of duplication in the three pairs. Imagine
a group of "designers" agreeing on a spread of 256 colours if the
only criteria was "a nice range" of colours!

--
dorayme

Nikita the Spider

In article <ee79fs$gn0$1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Dorward <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Web safe colors

> ... are of little relevance now that 256 colour displays are uncommon.

....and doubly so since Webmonkey pointed out that there were only 22
truly "safe" colors in their interesting article which is unfortunately
no longer online.

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/