Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help required - unable to set up wireless network

Help required - unable to set up wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?T2xseWQ=?=

Hi guys
I am trying to set up a wireless network between my desktop and my tablet PC.

I have succeeded so far in that I can access the tablet (client) through my
desktop (host), but not vice versa. I can see the host's named icon in
Workgroup computers on the client, but when I click on it it tells me it's
not accessible.

I have disabled all virus and firewalls, but no improvement.

When I try to ipconfig command it tells me that LAN connections 1 and 2 have
no media connected, the wirelss looks ok (although no gateway is set)

Do any of you bright sparks know where I can go from here??
Help GREATLY appreciated (on verge of tears lol)

Olly

Malke

Ollyd wrote:

> Hi guys
> I am trying to set up a wireless network between my desktop and my
> tablet PC.
>
> I have succeeded so far in that I can access the tablet (client)
> through my desktop (host), but not vice versa. I can see the host's
> named icon in Workgroup computers on the client, but when I click on
> it it tells me it's not accessible.
>
> I have disabled all virus and firewalls, but no improvement.
>
> When I try to ipconfig command it tells me that LAN connections 1 and
> 2 have no media connected, the wirelss looks ok (although no gateway
> is set)
>
> Do any of you bright sparks know where I can go from here??
> Help GREATLY appreciated (on verge of tears lol)

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. I understand
that you feel you've disabled the firewall, but perhaps you have a
"hidden" one from an antivirus program or even the Nvidia firewall
included on some Nforce motherboards. Run the Network Setup Wizard on
both computers, making sure to enable File & Printer Sharing, and
reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows
Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which
acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall
software, configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as
trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex.
would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your
correct subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
matters in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

And since you are running wireless (although the problem you are
reporting is a local area network problem and has nothing to do with
the fact that one computer connects wirelessly):

Wireless - Basic Configuration -
Tom's Hardware Wireless Security FAQs
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/0...ity/index.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

onclejon

Hi Malke

Excuse me for butting into this thread but I have an identical problem since
installing a new NVIDIA network controller. Can you tell me what I have to
enable to permit the remote laptop access the desktop with the NVIDIA car?
Onclejon
"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its
> resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
> matters in your situation.
>
> Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
> home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
> folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
> Shared Documents folder.
>
> If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
> troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
> and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
> http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>
> And since you are running wireless (although the problem you are
> reporting is a local area network problem and has nothing to do with
> the fact that one computer connects wirelessly):

Malke

onclejon wrote:

> Hi Malke
>
> Excuse me for butting into this thread but I have an identical problem
> since installing a new NVIDIA network controller. Can you tell me what
> I have to enable to permit the remote laptop access the desktop with
> the NVIDIA car? Onclejon

You should make your own post next time. If the Nvidia card came with a
software firewall, make the same adjustments as described in my answer
to the Original Poster. Refer to Nvidia tech support or the software's
Help files (if they exist) for configuration details.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?T2xseWQ=?=

Thanks for your comprehensive advice Malke.

I have now had time to read and try everything suggested in your reply, but
there is no improvement.

I am stuck. I have an excellent wireless connection in both machines, I can
access the harddrive of the client from the host, but not the host from the
client. When I look at My Network places on the host I see all of the shared
folders listed, including those of the client. But in My Network places on
the client it just shows the client's folders. I see the host computer in
Workgroup computers on the client, but get an error that it is not accessible
when double click it.

I have both machines with windows firewall off, and I have uninstalled the
zonealarm virus/ firewall totally from the host. I can ping successfully from
both machines.

I seems odd to me that the machines can ping eachother, I can access files
from the client, but just can't access the host's files.

I really don't know where to go from here, other than buying a cable and
plugging the machines directly to eachother!

You mentioned that it was a LAN problem. The LAN icon still has a red cross,
'A network cable is unplugged' - how can I open this without actually
plugging a cable in?? And why can I operate half a network despite the LAN
not being connected? I have tried all of yours and the link's advice about
this but it doesn't help.

Is there anything left to try?

Kind regards
Olly

Malke

Ollyd wrote:

> Thanks for your comprehensive advice Malke.
>
> I have now had time to read and try everything suggested in your
> reply, but there is no improvement.
>
> I am stuck. I have an excellent wireless connection in both machines,
> I can access the harddrive of the client from the host, but not the
> host from the client. When I look at My Network places on the host I
> see all of the shared folders listed, including those of the client.
> But in My Network places on the client it just shows the client's
> folders. I see the host computer in Workgroup computers on the client,
> but get an error that it is not accessible when double click it.
>
> I have both machines with windows firewall off, and I have uninstalled
> the zonealarm virus/ firewall totally from the host. I can ping
> successfully from both machines.
>
> I seems odd to me that the machines can ping eachother, I can access
> files from the client, but just can't access the host's files.
>
> I really don't know where to go from here, other than buying a cable
> and plugging the machines directly to eachother!
>
> You mentioned that it was a LAN problem. The LAN icon still has a red
> cross, 'A network cable is unplugged' - how can I open this without
> actually plugging a cable in?? And why can I operate half a network
> despite the LAN not being connected? I have tried all of yours and the
> link's advice about this but it doesn't help.

I have re-read your original post and I don't see where you mentioned
what hardware you are using. You mentioned wireless, so I assume a
wireless router connected to a cable/dsl modem. If you can get the
Internet and ping each computer, then you know this hardware is
working. There is no "host" and "client" computer in this situation.
All machines are peer-to-peer. You aren't trying to use ICS are you?
Please describe your network setup clearly.

I never mentioned anything about a LAN problem. If both your computers
are accessing the network wirelessly, the icon with the red cross
indicates your ethernet adapter which naturally enough is not plugged
in. So that is no biggie.

It sounds like either the computer you are calling "client" still has a
firewall active and/or the computer you are calling "host" has
permissions set incorrectly on shared folders.

It might be most efficient for you to have a professional come on-site
and take a look. Often in situations like yours it will be extremely
difficult to diagnose a networking problem without seeing the network
and by only reading about it in a newsgroup. Someone who knows what
they are looking at may be able to solve the issue in a few minutes.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?T2xseWQ=?=

I'm inclined to agree about getting a professional onsite.

The reason I thought you had mentioned I had a LAN problem was because

'And since you are running wireless (although the problem you are
reporting is a local area network problem and has nothing to do with
the fact that one computer connects wirelessly): '

Anyway, I am simply trying to set up a file sharing connection between a
desktop and a tablet pc; a shared internet connection would be nice but not
my main focus right now.

My desktop has a First International Computer Inc motherboard, model
P4M-800M, and an 802.11g PCI Wireless Network Adapter. It is running XP Home,
and is connected to the internet by cable DSL modem.

My tablet has an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection Adapter,
I'm not sure of the motherboard on the tablet. It is running XP pro Tablet
edition, and has no internet connection.

I have run the network set up wizard on both machines, enabled file sharing,
shared the relevant folders within the each machine (noting that XP Home
needs the actual folders inside My Docs sharing), and disable all of the
firewalls I can see. Not sure how to detect and shutdown any firewalls which
came with the motherboards for example (it's v difficult to even see what
your motherboard is let alone what to do with it)

I don't know whether I am trying to use ICS as I don't know what this is I'm
afraid.

David Hettel MVP MobileDevices

It sounds like the Cable DSL modem maybe directly connected to your desktop,
is this correct? Rather than the Cable DSL modem connecting to a wireless
router, and the wireless router connecting to your desktop.

How these three pecies of equipment interconnect will determine how your
network must be setup.

If you right click on "My Network Places" on the desktop's desktop, and
choose properties, what is listed on the Network connection page?

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
"Ollyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm inclined to agree about getting a professional onsite.
>
> The reason I thought you had mentioned I had a LAN problem was because
>
> 'And since you are running wireless (although the problem you are
> reporting is a local area network problem and has nothing to do with
> the fact that one computer connects wirelessly): '
>
> Anyway, I am simply trying to set up a file sharing connection between a
> desktop and a tablet pc; a shared internet connection would be nice but
> not
> my main focus right now.
>
> My desktop has a First International Computer Inc motherboard, model
> P4M-800M, and an 802.11g PCI Wireless Network Adapter. It is running XP
> Home,
> and is connected to the internet by cable DSL modem.
>
> My tablet has an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection Adapter,
> I'm not sure of the motherboard on the tablet. It is running XP pro Tablet
> edition, and has no internet connection.
>
> I have run the network set up wizard on both machines, enabled file
> sharing,
> shared the relevant folders within the each machine (noting that XP Home
> needs the actual folders inside My Docs sharing), and disable all of the
> firewalls I can see. Not sure how to detect and shutdown any firewalls
> which
> came with the motherboards for example (it's v difficult to even see what
> your motherboard is let alone what to do with it)
>
> I don't know whether I am trying to use ICS as I don't know what this is
> I'm
> afraid.

=?Utf-8?B?T2xseWQ=?=

Hi David

Yes - I have a cable DSL modem directly into my desktop (I have used this as
a stand alone machine until now - now I want to share the files with the
tablet)

When I look at my Network Connection page I see -
Dial up - modem ticked
Incoming - an incoming connections icon
LAN or high speed internet - Local area connection (with a red cross),
Wireless Network connection icon, and 1394 connection icon.

"David Hettel MVP MobileDevices" wrote:

> It sounds like the Cable DSL modem maybe directly connected to your desktop,
> is this correct? Rather than the Cable DSL modem connecting to a wireless
> router, and the wireless router connecting to your desktop.
>
> How these three pecies of equipment interconnect will determine how your
> network must be setup.
>
> If you right click on "My Network Places" on the desktop's desktop, and
> choose properties, what is listed on the Network connection page?
>
> --
> David Hettel
> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> "Ollyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > I'm inclined to agree about getting a professional onsite.
> >
> > The reason I thought you had mentioned I had a LAN problem was because
> >
> > 'And since you are running wireless (although the problem you are
> > reporting is a local area network problem and has nothing to do with
> > the fact that one computer connects wirelessly): '
> >
> > Anyway, I am simply trying to set up a file sharing connection between a
> > desktop and a tablet pc; a shared internet connection would be nice but
> > not
> > my main focus right now.
> >
> > My desktop has a First International Computer Inc motherboard, model
> > P4M-800M, and an 802.11g PCI Wireless Network Adapter. It is running XP
> > Home,
> > and is connected to the internet by cable DSL modem.
> >
> > My tablet has an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection Adapter,
> > I'm not sure of the motherboard on the tablet. It is running XP pro Tablet
> > edition, and has no internet connection.
> >
> > I have run the network set up wizard on both machines, enabled file
> > sharing,
> > shared the relevant folders within the each machine (noting that XP Home
> > needs the actual folders inside My Docs sharing), and disable all of the
> > firewalls I can see. Not sure how to detect and shutdown any firewalls
> > which
> > came with the motherboards for example (it's v difficult to even see what
> > your motherboard is let alone what to do with it)
> >
> > I don't know whether I am trying to use ICS as I don't know what this is
> > I'm
> > afraid.

David Hettel MVP MobileDevices

Ok So guessing a little, the "Incoming - an incoming connections icon" is
most likely connected to your highspeed cable/dsl connection. Assuming that
there is no red X on it. Right click on this, and then click on properties,
click on the Advanced (tab) You should see an option called "Internet
Connection Sharing" check the box marked "Allow other network users to
connect through this computer's Internet Connection" Under Home networking
connection choose "Wireless Network connection"

You will also need to put your wireless card in ad-hoc mode. Right click on
the wireless card, click on the Wireless Network (tab) and then the Advanced
button Choose Computer-to-Computer (ad hoc) networks only.

Take a look at this page first:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx