Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Generic package

Generic package

patrick.melet@dmradiocom.fr

hi,

is it possible to define a package with a generic option

i would like to have this :

package decoder is

generic (N : natural)

type POLY_TAB is array(0 to N) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);

thanks

KJ

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> hi,
>
> is it possible to define a package with a generic option
>
> i would like to have this :
>
> package decoder is
>
> generic (N : natural)
>
> type POLY_TAB is array(0 to N) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);

The short answer is 'no you can't put the generic in the package'. But the
following might work for you instead...

package decoder is
type POLY_TAB is array(natural range <>) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
end package decoder;

Now type 'POLY_TAB' is an unconstrained array. At some point you'll want to
use it and you would declare a signal as...

signal My_Poly_Tab: POLY_TAB(0 to 5);

KJ

Andy

For now, KJ's approach is a close as you can get. But I believe the
next balloted revision of VHDL is due to have generic packages. Then
the vendors will have to update their tools to support it...

Andy

KJ wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > hi,
> >
> > is it possible to define a package with a generic option
> >
> > i would like to have this :
> >
> > package decoder is
> >
> > generic (N : natural)
> >
> > type POLY_TAB is array(0 to N) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
> >

> The short answer is 'no you can't put the generic in the package'. But the
> following might work for you instead...
>
> package decoder is
> type POLY_TAB is array(natural range <>) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
> end package decoder;
>
> Now type 'POLY_TAB' is an unconstrained array. At some point you'll want to
> use it and you would declare a signal as...
>
> signal My_Poly_Tab: POLY_TAB(0 to 5);
>
> KJ

patrick.melet@dmradiocom.fr

thank you KJ

the solution you give works fine....

David Bishop

> hi,
>
> is it possible to define a package with a generic option
>
> i would like to have this :
>
> package decoder is
>
> generic (N : natural)
>
> type POLY_TAB is array(0 to N) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);

It turns out that this is a feature of VHDL-2006.

Take a look at the code at:
http://www.vhdl.org/vhdl-200x/vhdl-200x-ft/files.html