Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Sites about web-sites ?

Sites about web-sites ?

Jasbird

Hello,

I'm not looking for sites about "web design". I'm looking for sites
which discuss web-sites. In other words - rather than discussing the
nitty gritty of code, html, css, javascript, etc., I'm looking for a
web-site where people discuss things like
- does the site achieve its "purpose".
- how could that web-site be improved.

For instance, I just registered with www.digg.com and right away I
though of about 15 things I'd do to improve the site, such as:
- a better more specific list of topic categories
- allowing either html or bb code in comment responses,
- etc.

I fact I was so disappointed with digg that I thought I should
immediately write a better version of it myself!

So where do people discuss web-site functionality rather than "design" ?

For instance I discovered:
news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design, but no one seems to be
discussing site-design there. It just seems to be full of spam.

Mark

Jasbird wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not looking for sites about "web design". I'm looking for sites
> which discuss web-sites. In other words - rather than discussing the
> nitty gritty of code, html, css, javascript, etc., I'm looking for a
> web-site where people discuss things like
> - does the site achieve its "purpose".
> - how could that web-site be improved.
>
> For instance, I just registered with www.digg.com and right away I
> though of about 15 things I'd do to improve the site, such as:
> - a better more specific list of topic categories
> - allowing either html or bb code in comment responses,
> - etc.
>
> I fact I was so disappointed with digg that I thought I should
> immediately write a better version of it myself!
>
> So where do people discuss web-site functionality rather than "design" ?
>
> For instance I discovered:
> news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design, but no one seems to be
> discussing site-design there. It just seems to be full of spam.

found this link awhile ago
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html
it describes common problems with websites... mostly useability stuff.
it's an interesting read.. i wouldn't take *everything* it says into
consideration though, because..well..if you want a real easy to use
site, you might have to make a few graphical sacrifices..whereas i'm
more into the artsy goodness..geared towards younger generations
anyways.

2 sites or not 2 sites Yitzak ASP .Net 5 03-10-2009 11:05 AM
using python to visit web sites and print the web sites image to files imx Python 10 03-14-2007 02:19 PM
How do prevent sites to be loaded in other sites frames? Stefan Caliandro HTML 2 02-14-2005 06:05 PM
WiFi Hotspot Directory now includes over 12,000 sites including Intl site! Riverwalk Mobile Wireless Networking 0 09-16-2004 02:45 PM
ISO: Web sites for images (pay sites preferred) Kevin Buchan ASP .Net 1 02-20-2004 09:34 AM

Advertisments