Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > How to limit the EIGRP DUAL diffusion range in a large internetwork

How to limit the EIGRP DUAL diffusion range in a large internetwork

James Harris

Where do DUAL queries stop? I thought that the diffusing update queries
would go out as far as the classful boundaries, by default, but the texts I
have read recently seem to me to say the queries will go all the way out to
the boundary of the internetwork before reducing back. Cisco's web site
says, "If you run into a situation where it seems that the query range is
the problem, it is always best to reduce the query range rather than
increasing the SIA timer," but that document doesn't say how to reduce the
range.

We have a large internetwork with auto summarisation turned off in some
cases. I had a 3.5min outage before a link recovered - possibly a
stuck-in-active, though I don't believe there was an SIA reported in the
log.

So do the queries stop at the classful boundaries, at network summaries, or
at the edge of the internetwork?

--
TIA,
James

Andrey Tarasov

Hello, James!
You wrote on Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:42:52 -0000:

JH> So do the queries stop at the classful boundaries, at network
JH> summaries, or at the edge of the internetwork?

This might help -

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/103...tml#queryrange

With best regards,
Andrey.

merv.hrabi@rogers.com

One EIGRP feature that is useful in addressing query boundaries and sIA
event is the EIGRP stub routng feature

thrill

James Harris wrote:
> Where do DUAL queries stop? I thought that the diffusing update

queries
> would go out as far as the classful boundaries, by default, but the

texts I
> have read recently seem to me to say the queries will go all the way

out to
> the boundary of the internetwork before reducing back. Cisco's web

site
> says, "If you run into a situation where it seems that the query

range is
> the problem, it is always best to reduce the query range rather than
> increasing the SIA timer," but that document doesn't say how to

reduce the
> range.
>
> We have a large internetwork with auto summarisation turned off in

some
> cases. I had a 3.5min outage before a link recovered - possibly a
> stuck-in-active, though I don't believe there was an SIA reported in

the
> log.
>
> So do the queries stop at the classful boundaries, at network

summaries, or
> at the edge of the internetwork?
>
> --
> TIA,
> James

Queries stop at network summaries and on links that are connected to
routers configured as stubs. All of your edge routers must be
configured as stubs (if they support it), if they do not you should be
sending them only a summary default route. Queries will not be sent
out links where the queried route falls within the summary that you are
sending, or if the link at the other end is configured as a stub.
Configuring a router as a stub basically tells the router at the other
end, not to send it queries for any routes that go active (which is the
result as sending a summary default route). In large networks, it is
extremely important not to be sending queries to low end routers
because they do not have the horsepower to manage large numbers of
queries in short periods of time. If you track down your SIA's you
will find that it is your 2x00 series routes and lower that are the
source of SIA's. In large networks it is important that your IP
address space is allocated such that you can do as much network
summarization as possible.

Scott

SysAdm

"James Harris" <no.email.please> wrote in message
news:41ddbed2$0$14269$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Where do DUAL queries stop? I thought that the diffusing update queries
> would go out as far as the classful boundaries, by default, but the texts

> have read recently seem to me to say the queries will go all the way out

> the boundary of the internetwork before reducing back. Cisco's web site
> says, "If you run into a situation where it seems that the query range is
> the problem, it is always best to reduce the query range rather than
> increasing the SIA timer," but that document doesn't say how to reduce the
> range.

<snip>

look at advertising a summary address....

SysAdm