Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network Wireless Printer

Network Wireless Printer

=?Utf-8?B?YmlsbHkgYm9i?=

Hello all,

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router connected to a cable modem in my
living room. An Xbox and Vonage adapter are connnected to the router via
ethernet cable.

In bedroom #1 is a PC (Win XP) connected to the router via AT&T wireless
adapter. In bedroom #2 is a laptop (Win XP Pro) connected to the router via
built in wireless card. Also, in bedroom #2 is a Brother MFC-3820cn printer.
It is not hooked up at this time and has never been installed as a printer
on either machine.

I want the printer to be a stand alone device on the network. ( Not hard
wired to a computer). The printer has an ethernet port that is available to
use. I also have a spare Linksys wireless router (WRT54G) that I am not
currently using. And a Linksys WUSB11 that is available to use. The WUSB11
has a USB connection.

What is the easiest/most cost-effective way for the both computers to share
this printer?

Thanks
Robin

Malke

billy bob wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router connected to a cable modem in
> my living room. An Xbox and Vonage adapter are connnected to the
> router via ethernet cable.
>
> In bedroom #1 is a PC (Win XP) connected to the router via AT&T
> wireless adapter. In bedroom #2 is a laptop (Win XP Pro) connected to
> the router via built in wireless card. Also, in bedroom #2 is a
> Brother MFC-3820cn printer. It is not hooked up at this time and has
> never been installed as a printer on either machine.
>
> I want the printer to be a stand alone device on the network. ( Not
> hard wired to a computer). The printer has an ethernet port that is
> available to use. I also have a spare Linksys wireless router (WRT54G)
> that I am not currently using. And a Linksys WUSB11 that is available
> to use. The WUSB11 has a USB connection.
>
> What is the easiest/most cost-effective way for the both computers to
> share this printer?

If the printer has built-in ethernet, just connect it to the router.
Refer to the printer's manual for network setup. It will tell you how
to assign a static IP and whether you need to run the installation on
each client computer or not.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers