Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Zero Configuration In OS Besides XP?

Wireless Zero Configuration In OS Besides XP?

RAH

Is the Wireless Zero Configuration utility available in any OS besides
XP? Specifically, Win98 or Me?

Sooner Al [MVP]

"RAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the Wireless Zero Configuration utility available in any OS besides
> XP? Specifically, Win98 or Me?

No... You would need to use the card manager software that the manufacturer
of your wireless card supplies...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

RAH

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:01:13 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"RAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Is the Wireless Zero Configuration utility available in any OS besides
>> XP? Specifically, Win98 or Me?

>No... You would need to use the card manager software that the manufacturer
>of your wireless card supplies...

Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.
However, when I switched my LinkSys wireless cable modem/router for a
2Wire DSL wireless modem/router, with the same LinkSys 54g wireless
adapters, nothing worked with the LinkSys software. I had to go to
WZC on three of my computers, but the Sony refuses to connect at all
(connects to router, but no Internet) and the fix for the other
computers was to go to WZC. But with no WZC on the Sony, I guess I
need to find some other chore for that one that doesn't require the
wireless connection.

Dick

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 11-Sep-2006, RAH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
> connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.

Look for a USB wireless adapter with W98/WinMe support.
That said some wireless adapters don't hold a solid connection,
I abandoned D-Link. A Chinese branded one, ZyDAS based
drivers, rock solid, and with a reflector exceptional range.

Axel Hammerschmidt

RAH wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:01:13 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"RAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Is the Wireless Zero Configuration utility available in any OS
>>> besides XP? Specifically, Win98 or Me?

>>No... You would need to use the card manager software that the
>>manufacturer of your wireless card supplies...

> Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
> connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.
> However, when I switched my LinkSys wireless cable modem/router for a
> 2Wire DSL wireless modem/router, with the same LinkSys 54g wireless
> adapters, nothing worked with the LinkSys software.

What else did you change when you moved from Linksys?

RAH

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:19:16 -0700, Axel Hammerschmidt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>RAH wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:01:13 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>"RAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>

>>>No... You would need to use the card manager software that the
>>>manufacturer of your wireless card supplies...

>> Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
>> connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.
>> However, when I switched my LinkSys wireless cable modem/router for a
>> 2Wire DSL wireless modem/router, with the same LinkSys 54g wireless
>> adapters, nothing worked with the LinkSys software.

>What else did you change when you moved from Linksys?

Nothing. I got a new ISP on DSL instead of cable, installed their
proprietary DSP wireless modem, and connected to the network using a
cable for the main computer, and wireless LinkSys USB adapters for the
others. Everything fired right up except for the laptop running
Windows Me. The other computers are all running XP Pro or Home.

Axel Hammerschmidt

RAH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:19:16 -0700, Axel Hammerschmidt
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >RAH wrote:

> >> Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
> >> connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.
> >> However, when I switched my LinkSys wireless cable modem/router for a
> >> 2Wire DSL wireless modem/router, with the same LinkSys 54g wireless
> >> adapters, nothing worked with the LinkSys software.

> >What else did you change when you moved from Linksys?

> Nothing. I got a new ISP on DSL instead of cable, installed their
> proprietary DSP wireless modem, and connected to the network using a
> cable for the main computer, and wireless LinkSys USB adapters for the
> others. Everything fired right up except for the laptop running
> Windows Me. The other computers are all running XP Pro or Home.

You didn't change the encryption method? You seem to be able to associate
with the access point, but authentication fails. Is that correct?

Why did you want WZC? What Linksys card manager client are you using with
Me?

RAH

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:19:12 +0200, "Axel Hammerschmidt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>RAH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >What else did you change when you moved from Linksys?

>> Nothing. I got a new ISP on DSL instead of cable, installed their
>> proprietary DSP wireless modem, and connected to the network using a
>> cable for the main computer, and wireless LinkSys USB adapters for the
>> others. Everything fired right up except for the laptop running
>> Windows Me. The other computers are all running XP Pro or Home.

>You didn't change the encryption method? You seem to be able to associate
>with the access point, but authentication fails. Is that correct?
>
>Why did you want WZC? What Linksys card manager client are you using with
>Me?

Same WEP encryption method for all computers. I tried to use the
LinkSys software that came with the 54g wireless adapters, but the
2Wire router simply would not work with that software. Someone on
this group advised me to use WZC. That worked perfectly, except for
the laptop running Windows Me. WZC doesn't seem to be available for
Windows Me.

It is important to note that the system ran perfectly for over a year
on all computers, including the laptop, when I was using a LinkSys
WCG200 Cable Gateway. However, when I put a 2Wire DSL wireless router
in place of the LinkSys WCG200, nothing I tried would let ANY of the
computers access the Internet. I could see that there was a wireless
connection with the router, but I could not get the WEP to work on
anything until I switched to WZC.

i'm OK with the way it is. I have 3 desktops and 2 laptops running on
the network right now. The old laptop with Windows Me won't be used
on the network anymore.