Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Need advice on which technology for web consumer

Need advice on which technology for web consumer

Tony Girgenti

Hello.

I'm new to all of this. I developed a web consuming windows
application/form program with VS.NET 2003, VB, .Net Framework 1.1.4322,
ASP.NET 1.1.4322, IIS 5.1.

I started converting it to an ASP.NET Web Application because i thought it
would be neater to have the explorer interface.

However, it has become quite a learning experience trying to understand how
web forms work as compared to a windows form.

Is it better to have a web form based program for web consuming over a
standard windows form based program ?

The only thing that attracted me to Web forms, is the ability to run the
program from one location and not have to install it on each machine that
needs it.

I'm not opposed to the additional learning curve if some benefit is derived.

Any replies would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Gerry Hickman

Hi,

In general you are better off with a web application, you can run it
from anywhere, even a computer in an other country and your users can
also run it from Mac and Linux computers, not just Windows. You also get
the superior features and rendering of Mozilla FireFox to play with, but
your app can degrade gracefully for IE7. You also don't have to worry
about users having Admin rights to install the app and the maintenance
thereof. You also don't have to manage versions - the web app is ALWAYS
the latest version.

WinForms are pretty much dead anyway, and it's now XAML and Avalon, but
the trouble is you have to keep re-writing the app each time Microsoft
change the UI technology.

Unfortunately, Visual Studio is not very well suited to web apps; they
try to make it seem like a Windows app which is a mistake. The best way
to create a web app is to use open-source tools and open-standards
techniques. In general it's much quicker this way because you lose all
the bloat, limitations and dependencies of the .NET framework, and you
can also run your app on different kinds of servers, not just Windows.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

schneider

No, web apps have all different issues......

Truth is, use what works best for the need.

I have seen web technology change more in web apps than windows apps. Try to
keep the UI seperate from the business logic, then just add whatever UI on
top as needed.

Schneider

"Gerry Hickman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> In general you are better off with a web application, you can run it
> from anywhere, even a computer in an other country and your users can
> also run it from Mac and Linux computers, not just Windows. You also get
> the superior features and rendering of Mozilla FireFox to play with, but
> your app can degrade gracefully for IE7. You also don't have to worry
> about users having Admin rights to install the app and the maintenance
> thereof. You also don't have to manage versions - the web app is ALWAYS
> the latest version.
>
> WinForms are pretty much dead anyway, and it's now XAML and Avalon, but
> the trouble is you have to keep re-writing the app each time Microsoft
> change the UI technology.
>
> Unfortunately, Visual Studio is not very well suited to web apps; they
> try to make it seem like a Windows app which is a mistake. The best way
> to create a web app is to use open-source tools and open-standards
> techniques. In general it's much quicker this way because you lose all
> the bloat, limitations and dependencies of the .NET framework, and you
> can also run your app on different kinds of servers, not just Windows.
>
> Tony Girgenti wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm new to all of this. I developed a web consuming windows
> > application/form program with VS.NET 2003, VB, .Net Framework 1.1.4322,
> > ASP.NET 1.1.4322, IIS 5.1.
> >
> > I started converting it to an ASP.NET Web Application because i thought

it
> > would be neater to have the explorer interface.
> >
> > However, it has become quite a learning experience trying to understand

how
> > web forms work as compared to a windows form.
> >
> > Is it better to have a web form based program for web consuming over a
> > standard windows form based program ?
> >
> > The only thing that attracted me to Web forms, is the ability to run the
> > program from one location and not have to install it on each machine

that
> > needs it.
> >
> > I'm not opposed to the additional learning curve if some benefit is

derived.

> > Any replies would be gratefully appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tony
> >

> --
> Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

schneider wrote:
> No, web apps have all different issues......
>
> Truth is, use what works best for the need.
>
> I have seen web technology change more in web apps than windows apps. Try to
> keep the UI seperate from the business logic, then just add whatever UI on
> top as needed.
>
> Schneider

I agree. With the coming of WPF and XBAPs, a 3rd type of applications is
likely to become extremely popular in the near future: RIAs or Rich
Internet Applications. They already exist, but with .NET 3.0 installed
on every Vista machine, and XAML growing very popular soon, it will be
yet another choice for the user. However I do not believe that they will
kill ASP.NET (Microsoft also doesn't believe so, or else it wouldn't
have invested that much in ATLAS), and each use case will need to be
carefully evaluated, and the appropriate type of application developed.

The next years will be very exciting.

HTH,
Laurent
--