Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > how to find original image name?

how to find original image name?

Capitan Mutanda

Hello!

While doing a sw inventory I came across a WS-C2924-XL that some smart
(sic)
guy upgraded using a file with a different filename than the Cisco
one. What
sho vers says is

Compiled Thu 17-Jul-03 12:35 by antonino
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0020E2E0

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

Switch uptime is 6 hours, 32 minutes
System restarted by reload
System image file is "flash:new.bin",
cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with
4096K/640K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 0x07, with hardware revision 0x00
Last reset from warm-reset

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software
Cluster member switch capable
24 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

Is there a way to recover the original name such as c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-

TIA

/CM

AM

Capitan Mutanda wrote:

> Is there a way to recover the original name such as c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-

A little bit long but you can perform hash calculations on yours and compare it against those of all of the Cisco images
you think are candidates to reside on your switch. Hopefully not all the Cisco images for your switch.

Sorry

Merv

connect it to another switch with CDP enabled on its port and see if
the output of
"show cdp nei detail" give you naything useful

Capitan Mutanda

Merv wrote:
> connect it to another switch with CDP enabled on its port and see if
> the output of
> "show cdp nei detail" give you naything useful

I just tried/found and alternative

strings image.bin

and you get interesting info

CW_BEGIN$
CW_FAMILY$
CW_BEGIN$-gs-c3h2s-m$
CW_IMAGE$C2900XL-C3H2S-M$
CW_FAMILY$C2900XL$
CW_FEATURE$ENTERPRISE|COMMAND-CAPABLE$
CW_VERSION$12.0(5)XU$
CW_MEDIA$RAM$
CW_SYSDESCR$Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
CW_END$-gs-c3h2s-m$

many a show memory could do the same....

/CM

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Capitan Mutanda wrote:
> Merv wrote:
> > connect it to another switch with CDP enabled on its port and see if
> > the output of
> > "show cdp nei detail" give you naything useful

> I just tried/found and alternative
>
> strings image.bin
>
> and you get interesting info
>
> CW_BEGIN$
> CW_FAMILY$
> CW_BEGIN$-gs-c3h2s-m$
> CW_IMAGE$C2900XL-C3H2S-M$
> CW_FAMILY$C2900XL$
> CW_FEATURE$ENTERPRISE|COMMAND-CAPABLE$
> CW_VERSION$12.0(5)XU$
> CW_MEDIA$RAM$
> CW_SYSDESCR$Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
> CW_END$-gs-c3h2s-m$
>
> many a show memory could do the same....
>
> /CM

Usually sh ver has the image version at the top and the
output that you have posted appears to have the top few lines
missing.

I do not have a switchlike yours however here is the
output from the first IOS device that I came across.

B1>sh ver
IOS (tm) 3700 Software (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4,
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
Compiled Mon 12-Jan-04 18:43 by dchih
Image text-base: 0x60008954, data-base: 0x61AFA000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
B1 uptime is 1 week, 2 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 11:46:10 GMT Sat Sep 2 2006
System image file is "flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin"

You can see that the image name corresponds closely with
version displayed in the second line. The difference, "z", just
indicates that the image is compressed.

(C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4
flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin

Please go back and check your show ver output. I have
never seen a cisco device that did not correctly
report the software version that was running.

James

Could be a maintenance release to fix a certaing bug sent by TAC.

I had a release called something like that for a 3845 a few months
back. Notice the date also says 1903

James

James wrote:
> Could be a maintenance release to fix a certaing bug sent by TAC.
>
> I had a release called something like that for a 3845 a few months
> back. Notice the date also says 1903
>
> James
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Capitan Mutanda wrote:
> > >
> > > I just tried/found and alternative
> > >
> > > strings image.bin
> > >
> > > and you get interesting info
> > >
> > > CW_BEGIN$
> > > CW_FAMILY$
> > > CW_BEGIN$-gs-c3h2s-m$
> > > CW_IMAGE$C2900XL-C3H2S-M$
> > > CW_FAMILY$C2900XL$
> > > CW_FEATURE$ENTERPRISE|COMMAND-CAPABLE$
> > > CW_VERSION$12.0(5)XU$
> > > CW_MEDIA$RAM$
> > > CW_SYSDESCR$Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
> > > CW_END$-gs-c3h2s-m$
> > >
> > > many a show memory could do the same....
> > >
> > > /CM

> > Usually sh ver has the image version at the top and the
> > output that you have posted appears to have the top few lines
> > missing.
> >
> > I do not have a switchlike yours however here is the
> > output from the first IOS device that I came across.
> >
> > B1>sh ver
> > Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
> > IOS (tm) 3700 Software (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4,
> > RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
> > TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
> > Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
> > Compiled Mon 12-Jan-04 18:43 by dchih
> > Image text-base: 0x60008954, data-base: 0x61AFA000
> >
> > ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
> > B1 uptime is 1 week, 2 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes
> > System returned to ROM by power-on
> > System restarted at 11:46:10 GMT Sat Sep 2 2006
> > System image file is "flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin"
> >
> > You can see that the image name corresponds closely with
> > version displayed in the second line. The difference, "z", just
> > indicates that the image is compressed.
> >
> > (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4
> > flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin
> >
> > Please go back and check your show ver output. I have
> > never seen a cisco device that did not correctly
> > report the software version that was running.

I guess it could be buggy software. I think that the version
gets displayed on the console during bootup
and it is also available via snmp.

..iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysDescr
..1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1

Might be worth a try.