Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 3845 Module limitations for WIC-1SHDSL-V3..

Cisco 3845 Module limitations for WIC-1SHDSL-V3..

evren.demirk4n@gmail.com

Hello All,

I am thinking to implement a new network based on Cisco3845. For
connecting our remote branches I am thinking to use G.HDSL therefore
our selection will be WIC-1SHDSL-V3 module. Future expansions in mind
( 15 branches in 2 or 3 years time) I read the maximum Number of
G.SHDSL WICs is "12" for 3845 in WIC-1SHDSL-V3's datasheet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800921f0.html

But after I check the 3845's datasheet
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d8016a8e8.html

I saw that Number of High-Speed WIC (HWIC) Slots supported for this
module was 4. My question is can we use this (WIC-1SHDSL-V3) module in
the NM, NME, NME-X, NMD etc slots? By adding these supported Network
Module Slots I am getting the total of 12.

If not maybe I can go to Frame Relay to support these multiple
branches, geographically diversed locations..
TIA for your comments.

Best Reagrds,
Ras

James

I run 3845's here - you can fit 12 standard size WIC cards in the 3845.

You need to install 4 x NM-2W cards in the Chassis which will give you
8 WIC slots and there are 4 on-board WIC slots.

Beware - we have had a few problems with our 3845's. The Software ia
quite buggy, to be expected I guess on a new platform....

James

> Hello All,
>
> I am thinking to implement a new network based on Cisco3845. For
> connecting our remote branches I am thinking to use G.HDSL therefore
> our selection will be WIC-1SHDSL-V3 module. Future expansions in mind
> ( 15 branches in 2 or 3 years time) I read the maximum Number of
> G.SHDSL WICs is "12" for 3845 in WIC-1SHDSL-V3's datasheet.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800921f0.html
>
> But after I check the 3845's datasheet
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d8016a8e8.html
>
> I saw that Number of High-Speed WIC (HWIC) Slots supported for this
> module was 4. My question is can we use this (WIC-1SHDSL-V3) module in
> the NM, NME, NME-X, NMD etc slots? By adding these supported Network
> Module Slots I am getting the total of 12.
>
> If not maybe I can go to Frame Relay to support these multiple
> branches, geographically diversed locations..
> TIA for your comments.
>
> Best Reagrds,
> Ras

evren.demirk4n@gmail.com

Hi James,
Thank you for your comments. If I may ask how many locations are you
connected with this router? using T1 or E1 config?

Best Regards,
Ras

James wrote:
> I run 3845's here - you can fit 12 standard size WIC cards in the 3845.
>
> You need to install 4 x NM-2W cards in the Chassis which will give you
> 8 WIC slots and there are 4 on-board WIC slots.
>
> Beware - we have had a few problems with our 3845's. The Software ia
> quite buggy, to be expected I guess on a new platform....
>
> James
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am thinking to implement a new network based on Cisco3845. For
> > connecting our remote branches I am thinking to use G.HDSL therefore
> > our selection will be WIC-1SHDSL-V3 module. Future expansions in mind
> > ( 15 branches in 2 or 3 years time) I read the maximum Number of
> > G.SHDSL WICs is "12" for 3845 in WIC-1SHDSL-V3's datasheet.
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800921f0.html
> >
> > But after I check the 3845's datasheet
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d8016a8e8.html
> >
> > I saw that Number of High-Speed WIC (HWIC) Slots supported for this
> > module was 4. My question is can we use this (WIC-1SHDSL-V3) module in
> > the NM, NME, NME-X, NMD etc slots? By adding these supported Network
> > Module Slots I am getting the total of 12.
> >
> > If not maybe I can go to Frame Relay to support these multiple
> > branches, geographically diversed locations..
> > TIA for your comments.
> >
> > Best Reagrds,
> > Ras

James

We have 12 WIC-2T's installed in three routers giving us 24 Serial
Ports in each router.

These are the WAN routers for our VSAT network - each port connects to
a Satellite modem running various speeds from 128k up to 4 meg.

At the moment we can only use about half the ports on each router.
With one IOS release any device connected to a port in slot 3 performs
badly and many errors are logged. When we upgrade the IOS the ports in
slot 3 are useable but some other bug causes 100% CPU utilisation
We have a TAC case open......

James