Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python on handhelds

Python on handhelds

Nick

Hi all,

I have never programmed in Python a day in my life. My group is working
on developing an application on the Dell Axim hand held that has a
tight deadline. I have heard that Python is particularly advantageous
in rapid prototyping and deployment. I would like to lean this way if I
can. Does anyone know if I can run Python on the Dell Axim handheld. It
runs Windows CE. If so, what all is needed to make this possible.
Thanks

Nick../

Paul Rubin

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I have never programmed in Python a day in my life. My group is working
> on developing an application on the Dell Axim hand held that has a
> tight deadline. I have heard that Python is particularly advantageous
> in rapid prototyping and deployment. I would like to lean this way if I
> can. Does anyone know if I can run Python on the Dell Axim handheld. It
> runs Windows CE. If so, what all is needed to make this possible.

Someone did a WinCE port a while back, but I don't think it's actively
used much. The approach might be reasonable if you're an expert with
some time on your hands, but for a newcomer with an onrushing
deadline, you may be better off using whatever you're already using
(VB or whatever), and keeping Python in mind for some future project.

Luke Dunstan

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I have never programmed in Python a day in my life. My group is working
>> on developing an application on the Dell Axim hand held that has a
>> tight deadline. I have heard that Python is particularly advantageous
>> in rapid prototyping and deployment. I would like to lean this way if I
>> can. Does anyone know if I can run Python on the Dell Axim handheld. It
>> runs Windows CE. If so, what all is needed to make this possible.

> Someone did a WinCE port a while back, but I don't think it's actively
> used much. The approach might be reasonable if you're an expert with
> some time on your hands, but for a newcomer with an onrushing
> deadline, you may be better off using whatever you're already using
> (VB or whatever), and keeping Python in mind for some future project.

I agree that it is much less active than Python on other platforms, and in
some areas it lags behind the PC, e.g. in GUI toolkits. However, if you want
to try it go here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonce

See also the mailing list:

Luke Dunstan

Bob Greschke

"Luke Dunstan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45056d02$0$4024$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> I have never programmed in Python a day in my life. My group is working
>>> on developing an application on the Dell Axim hand held that has a
>>> tight deadline. I have heard that Python is particularly advantageous
>>> in rapid prototyping and deployment. I would like to lean this way if I
>>> can. Does anyone know if I can run Python on the Dell Axim handheld. It
>>> runs Windows CE. If so, what all is needed to make this possible.

>> Someone did a WinCE port a while back, but I don't think it's actively
>> used much. The approach might be reasonable if you're an expert with
>> some time on your hands, but for a newcomer with an onrushing
>> deadline, you may be better off using whatever you're already using
>> (VB or whatever), and keeping Python in mind for some future project.

> I agree that it is much less active than Python on other platforms, and in
> some areas it lags behind the PC, e.g. in GUI toolkits. However, if you
> want to try it go here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonce
>
> See also the mailing list:

> Luke Dunstan

NSBasic (which has a CE version) is pretty nice for PalmOS. Making
applications is pretty straightforward if you don't need to access serial
ports and stuff like that. Nice IDE too.

Bob