Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Convert windows TimeZone to Java TimeZone

Convert windows TimeZone to Java TimeZone

asaf

Hi,
My application works on a multi tier architecture - web server and
application server run on different machines.
I'm trying to get the (remote) MS IIS web server (does not have JRE)
time zone ID.

How can I convert the web server Windows time zone ID to a Java time
zone ID in the application server (runs Java of course)?

is there any String I can render to a well formed Java time zone ID ?
Or is the only solution to set a hash set pairs of windows timezone and
Java time zone id.

thanks,
Asaf

Martin Gregorie

asaf wrote:

> How can I convert the web server Windows time zone ID to a Java time
> zone ID in the application server (runs Java of course)?

Do current versions of Windoze use timezones yet? It used to ignore the
whole thing by running the PC's hardware clock on local time. There's
presumably some entry on the register or in an .INI file so the
internationalization applet can remember what was selected last time it
was run and so the startup code can remember to prompt you when the
clocks change. However, I've never seen where that might be stored or if
it bears any resemblance to an ISO time zone code.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

asaf wrote:
> My application works on a multi tier architecture - web server and
> application server run on different machines.
> I'm trying to get the (remote) MS IIS web server (does not have JRE)
> time zone ID.
>
> How can I convert the web server Windows time zone ID to a Java time
> zone ID in the application server (runs Java of course)?
>
> is there any String I can render to a well formed Java time zone ID ?
> Or is the only solution to set a hash set pairs of windows timezone and
> Java time zone id.

You web and app server are in different time zones ?

I believe TimeZone.getTimeZone is rather flexible, so
why not give it a try.

If it does not, then either IIS will have to know Java
format or Java will need to know IIS format.

Arne

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Martin Gregorie wrote:
> Do current versions of Windoze use timezones yet? It used to ignore the
> whole thing by running the PC's hardware clock on local time.

The windows installation program has asked about timezone
since windows 95.

Arne