Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File Sharing ?

File Sharing ?

Leanin' Cedar

WinXP home SP2 laptop and desktop.

Linksys WRT54GC router(connected to desktop with ethernet) and an apple
airport express in the living room.

I have file sharing enabled at home over the LAN on both computers.

I have Apple ITunes on the laptop and use the airport express to play them
on my home theater and to extend the range of my wireless network. The
airport express is not on a separate network but was configured to be part
of my LAN.

If I turn off file sharing on my laptop (local area connection and uncheck
file and printer sharing) I get an error msg. when I try to share a file on
the laptop from the desktop "not accessible" which I understand.

However I can still share the ITunes over the LAN from the laptop to the
desktop.

Posted in the apple ITunes for Windows group, and no help there.

Are my files on my laptop really "not accessible" when away from home on a
wireless network? I do not have any problem with sharing the ITunes however.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bob

=?Utf-8?B?am13aWxscw==?=

YOu will need to install the Apple Talk protocol on the non-Apple machine to
get this done.
--
MCP (2K) Net+, A+
Server-Networking MVP

"Leanin' Cedar" wrote:

> WinXP home SP2 laptop and desktop.
>
> Linksys WRT54GC router(connected to desktop with ethernet) and an apple
> airport express in the living room.
>
> I have file sharing enabled at home over the LAN on both computers.
>
> I have Apple ITunes on the laptop and use the airport express to play them
> on my home theater and to extend the range of my wireless network. The
> airport express is not on a separate network but was configured to be part
> of my LAN.
>
> If I turn off file sharing on my laptop (local area connection and uncheck
> file and printer sharing) I get an error msg. when I try to share a file on
> the laptop from the desktop "not accessible" which I understand.
>
> However I can still share the ITunes over the LAN from the laptop to the
> desktop.
>
> Posted in the apple ITunes for Windows group, and no help there.
>
> Are my files on my laptop really "not accessible" when away from home on a
> wireless network? I do not have any problem with sharing the ITunes however.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

Leanin' Cedar

"jmwills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> YOu will need to install the Apple Talk protocol on the non-Apple machine
> get this done.
> --
> MCP (2K) Net+, A+
> Server-Networking MVP

Maybe I confused the issue. I can share ITunes from my PC laptop with my PC
desktop, even with file sharing turned off on the laptop(where the ITunes
are located). the desktop still sees ITunes even though I can not share any
other files on the laptop

I was concerned about security issues on my laptop with file and print
sharing turned off and still sharing the ITunes over my LAN on the desktop.
Even though I can not access any other shared files on the laptop I was
concerned about the security of files on my laptop when at work.

I have no problem with being able to share "ITunes only" while at work, but
want to make certain no one has access to any other files.

Bob

=?Utf-8?B?am13aWxscw==?=

Misread the issue. Remove the permissions that allow access to those
files/directories. Domain or Workgroup? If Domain, your Sys Admin is always
going to have access to everything.
If you want to really deny access to those files then turn off File & Print
Sharing while at work or travelling.
--
MCP (2K) Net+, A+
Server-Networking MVP