Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Central monitoring of cisco devices

Central monitoring of cisco devices

James Coldwind

What do you folks use for central monitoring of your logs for firewalls,
routers, and switches. I am using a windows based syslog server from
Solarwinds but it just does not feel like an enterprise solution. Any
recommendations?

Walter Roberson

In article <ViACd.180034$(E-Mail Removed)>,
James Coldwind <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:What do you folks use for central monitoring of your logs for firewalls,
:routers, and switches.

Custom software. Which, unfortunately, goes out of date when I do
software upgrades.

:I am using a windows based syslog server from
:Solarwinds but it just does not feel like an enterprise solution. Any
:recommendations?

A lot depends on what kind of monitoring you want to do and what
rate the log messages are coming in at.

The major commercial software that I am aware of is by Network
Intelligence; the low end version is named Private I; I don't recall
what the high end version is named. It didn't happen to do what I
wanted, but your needs are very likely different than mine; you can
use their free trial to see whether it is suitable for you.
--
Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann

dave

"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message:
> In article <ViACd.180034$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> James Coldwind <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :What do you folks use for central monitoring of your logs for firewalls,
> :routers, and switches.
> Custom software. Which, unfortunately, goes out of date when I do
> software upgrades.
> :I am using a windows based syslog server from
> :Solarwinds but it just does not feel like an enterprise solution. Any
> :recommendations?
> A lot depends on what kind of monitoring you want to do and what
> rate the log messages are coming in at.
> The major commercial software that I am aware of is by Network
> Intelligence; the low end version is named Private I; I don't recall
> what the high end version is named. It didn't happen to do what I
> wanted, but your needs are very likely different than mine; you can
> use their free trial to see whether it is suitable for you.

Try netcrunch from adrem. There is also available full evaluation version.
You can test it one moth for free, and see if you like.

dave

Jason Burton

Unfortunately Network Intelligence is phasing out all their software
only products by March 2005.

Walter Roberson wrote:
> In article <ViACd.180034$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> James Coldwind <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :What do you folks use for central monitoring of your logs for firewalls,
> :routers, and switches.
>
> Custom software. Which, unfortunately, goes out of date when I do
> software upgrades.
>

> :I am using a windows based syslog server from
> :Solarwinds but it just does not feel like an enterprise solution. Any
> :recommendations?
>
> A lot depends on what kind of monitoring you want to do and what
> rate the log messages are coming in at.
>
> The major commercial software that I am aware of is by Network
> Intelligence; the low end version is named Private I; I don't recall
> what the high end version is named. It didn't happen to do what I
> wanted, but your needs are very likely different than mine; you can
> use their free trial to see whether it is suitable for you.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jason Burton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Unfortunately Network Intelligence is phasing out all their software
nly products by March 2005.

Interesting. Good thing I stopped paying them support then -- I would
otherwise have been upset about having paid that much only to have the
product dropped.
--
I've been working on a kernel
All the livelong night.

Monitoring Cisco devices Sokre Cisco 2 11-21-2005 06:07 AM
Can security devices harm DVDs and electronic devices? curious@nospam.com DVD Video 12 03-02-2005 06:57 AM
Cisco 1601 as Central Site Router for Frame Relay? Tobias Skytte Cisco 0 11-25-2004 01:06 PM
"Windows CE Devices and Palm Devices Help Needed" Naveen Vaila ASP .Net Mobile 1 06-23-2004 10:12 AM
3 2514 cisco routers and 1 central Switch Billy Guthrie Cisco 0 12-23-2003 05:24 AM

Advertisments