Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Not my IP address - help!

Reply
Thread Tools

Not my IP address - help!

 
 
Sebastian Gottschalk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2006
Andrea L wrote:

> Jim Watt wrote:
>> On 9 Sep 2006 19:05:58 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I'm an intermediate when it comes to computers,

>>
>> Does not sound that way
>>
>> read about what IP addresses are and where they come
>> from and if you still think you have a problem, explain
>> it clearly.
>>
>>

>
> Thanks for the help. I can see it was a waste of time asking people in
> here. I got some condescending remarks, nothing remotely resembling a
> helpful answer or suggestion. Amazing.


It's amazing that you're even expecting any helpful answer to the technical
nonsense you're brabbling.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrea L
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2006

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
> Andrea L wrote:
>>

> It's amazing that you're even expecting any helpful answer to the technical
> nonsense you're brabbling.


If it's nonsense I'm babbling, then tell me specifically what info you
want. But these ridiciulous insults are a complete waste of time. I
realize usenet is mostly a bunch of idiots whose main objective is to
throw around insults for the sake of throwing around insults. I just
wanted an answer or a suggestion or something, not to be jumped on when
I offered no hostility in any form or fashion and simply posed a
question. If the question wasn't put in a form that to your
satisfaction, you could simpy ask for more info. It's amazing, I didn't
insult anyone or make any demands.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
traveler 66
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2006
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:02:22 -0600 (MDT), Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:

> traveler 66 wrote:
>
>> On 9 Sep 2006 19:05:58 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I was running a hijack log and noticed the IP address was a little odd.
>>> I did a whois search and sure enough it was an AOL address. I logged
>>> out and back in and this time it was a pacbell address. Somehow my IP
>>> address is being hijacked and I don't have the slightest idea how to
>>> stop this. I'm not logging into my email or anything (and I have no
>>> idea how long this has been going on). I'm an intermediate when it
>>> comes to computers, I have all the malware software and that's what I
>>> was running (ewido, spybot, adware, etc) and none of it shows anything
>>> but that's all I know. Also, can they view my passwords and what else
>>> can they see on my computer? How do I get this to stop? Any help would
>>> be greatly appreciated it.

>>
>> Are you using Tor, or are you going through any service that goes through
>> Tor? If you are, Tor changes I.P.'s every 10 minutes.

>
> Clueless as usual!
>
> No, it doesn't change every 10 minutes. For some types of connections
> it does, as long as new connections are being established by new
> requests. For others your circuit is persistent even if the connection
> is up for weeks or months. Like SSH or IRC connections that would break
> if the circuit were rebuilt.
>
> In any case, if you had any clue what so ever you'd have already looked
> at the OP's IP address, and know she's not posting through any Tor
> server. For that matter, even reading what's written would tell you
> this person isn't using anything like Tor.
>
> I have to say it's sad in a really pathetic sort of way when someone
> who has just embarrassed themselves with their incompetence flails
> their arms about desperately trying to stumble over some sort of
> credible sounding answer, only to make an even bigger fool of
> themselves.
>
> I almost feel sorry for you. If you weren't such a total ****wit, I
> actually might.


Flush
 
Reply With Quote
 
traveler 66
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2006
On 11 Sep 2006 14:03:03 -0700, Andrea L wrote:

> Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
>>>

>> Your IP has been the same for 2 days now, judging by your posts here.

>
> This is not the computer I'm talking about. I'm on a totally unrelated
> computer, I never said it was this computer.
>
>>>

>> You got terse answers because you claim your IP is being "hijacked", but
>> don't give any information at all about what IP you believe you're
>> being sent through or anything else. And your own posts to this group
>> don't show anything out of the ordinary. If you want real answers, ask
>> real questions and give real information. You also apparently haven't
>> spent a single minute trying to gain any basic understanding of what
>> you're looking at, but expect everyone else to jump to attention and
>> solve your possible non-problems for you.
>>

>
> No, I have simply asked for help and all I've gotten is a bunch of
> bullshit. I've never asked "for my problems to be solved" or made ANY
> demands as you've insinuated. I've been asking for help or advice but
> all I've gotten is eveyrthing but. If I'm in the wrong group or not
> giving the info you need, all you have to do is say so, no need to be
> a jerk.
>
>>> I have zone alarm on my computer now
>>> but the fake ip addresses are still showing up. something on my

>>
>> What "fake IP address" would that be?? There's no such thing as a
>> "fake" IP address, because for your Internet connection to work at all.
>> You need a "real" IP address. It has to be assigned to you, and valid,
>> for web pages to display, email to show up, etc. What software is
>> telling you you have a "fake" IP address? How are you using it to
>> determine you have this alleged "fake" IP address. You need to be
>> specific, but please don't post any HIjack This logs here or you'll ger
>> more terse replies. There's a place for that stuff. This isn't it. Post
>> short excerpts in you want, showing this "fake" IP.

>
> Okay, I go into "your ip" which is one of those websites that tell you
> your IP address. Each time it gives me some ip address which is NOT my
> IP address. I post through Netzero and these particular IP addresses
> are from AOL, Pacbell, out of the country IPs, etc. when I log out and
> go back in, ti's a different IP address. Now before I've checke my IP
> address and it was a netzero/juno IP address, but now each time I get
> some IP address that is not mine. I'm not sure what other info to give
> here, if there is something else I need to tell you, let me know, but
> all these condiscending answers and insulting responses aren't getting
> us anywhere.


Try having your ISP look at it, they may have a little more information on
what connection they're giving you, or possibly what some software they
provide does?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sebastian Gottschalk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2006
Andrea L wrote:

> Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
>> Andrea L wrote:
>>>

>> It's amazing that you're even expecting any helpful answer to the technical
>> nonsense you're brabbling.

>
> If it's nonsense I'm babbling, then tell me specifically what info you
> want.


HijackThis doesn't display your IP address, and neither would you'd be able
to communicate with an IP address that doesn't belong to your ISP's IP
pool. I also wonder you even managed to get any confirmation about such a
wrong fact; did you just look at the output of HijackThis at all?

Well, it displays your DNS servers at best. And if malware is able to
change those, your entire system is already compromised, so you should
flatten and rebuild. A trivial and the most reasonable solution, whenever
you have lost control over your system.

Might also be that some MSIE "Browser Helper Objects" with numeric IP
addresses as host part of the "download source" URL where meant. Not much
better either.

Or what? My Magic 8-Ball (tm) can't tell me much more about your system.

> I just wanted an answer or a suggestion or something


Then why don't you ask a reasonable question in first place? Provide some
useful facts rather than strange speculations? You didn't even post the
relevant output from HijackThis.

> If the question wasn't put in a form that to your satisfaction,
> you could simpy ask for more info. It's amazing, I didn't
> insult anyone or make any demands.


Asking dumb questions without any visible hestitation to solve the problem
on yourself (including automated evaluation like the one at
<http://www.hijackthis.de>, reading the fu^H^H "fine" manual, analyzing
your previous administrative management actions, logging the network
traffic) and then even claiming that your technical nonsense would be
absolutely correct and you being an intermediate user is... well...
amusing. At least you shouldn't get upset when someone is telling you that
he thinks you're talking nonsense, but rather think about what you said and
why someone could have get such an impression - could be that you've been
wrong in first place.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ask Nicely
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
In
Message-ID:<(E-Mail Removed) ups.com>,
"Andrea L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No, I have simply asked for help and all I've gotten is a bunch of
>bullshit. I've never asked "for my problems to be solved" or made ANY
>demands as you've insinuated. I've been asking for help or advice but
>all I've gotten is eveyrthing but. If I'm in the wrong group or not
>giving the info you need, all you have to do is say so, no need to be
>a jerk.
>

<snip>
>
>Okay, I go into "your ip" which is one of those websites that tell you
>your IP address.


Most people who are intermediate level and knowledgeable enough to
run HijackThis would know how to ask one's OWN computer what its
IP address is. I think that's what the people who are responding
figured, anyway.

In another post, you said, 'I've used "your ip" before and know
what my usual ip address is.' You gave no information about what
"your ip" is. It isn't until several posts later that you explain
(see above). AND you don't even tell us WHICH site you're using.
It might be a problem on the site, rather than on your computer.

I have some suggestions:

1. Ask your own computer what your IP address is. Also, check
what DNS server you're using.

2. Tell us what the URL is for "your ip"

3. Check your browser to see if there are any proxies enabled.

4. Try a different browser. There are many free choices.

5. Read "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" by Eric Raymond:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

--
If you want something for free, insulting the person who will give
it to you isn't a good idea
 
Reply With Quote
 
Non scrivetemi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
Andrea L wrote:

> No, I have simply asked for help and all I've gotten is a bunch of
> bullshit. I've never asked "for my problems to be solved" or made ANY
> demands as you've insinuated. I've been asking for help or advice but
> all I've gotten is eveyrthing but. If I'm in the wrong group or not
> giving the info you need, all you have to do is say so, no need to be
> a jerk.


Nobody is acting like a jerk here but you. If you'd learn how to ask an
intelligent question and provide some useful information you might get a
useful answer. As it stands we're not even sure you have a problem at
all because all you've done is screech "the sky is falling" over and
over without telling anyone what makes you think it's so.

> > > I have zone alarm on my computer now
> > > but the fake ip addresses are still showing up. something on my

> >
> > What "fake IP address" would that be?? There's no such thing as a
> > "fake" IP address, because for your Internet connection to work at all.
> > You need a "real" IP address. It has to be assigned to you, and valid,
> > for web pages to display, email to show up, etc. What software is
> > telling you you have a "fake" IP address? How are you using it to
> > determine you have this alleged "fake" IP address. You need to be
> > specific, but please don't post any HIjack This logs here or you'll ger
> > more terse replies. There's a place for that stuff. This isn't it. Post
> > short excerpts in you want, showing this "fake" IP.

>
> Okay, I go into "your ip" which is one of those websites that tell you


That tells us nothing at all. Useless, repetitive, non-information.
What's the URL? What IP specifically is it telling you you're
connecting from? What are your dialup settings?

> your IP address. Each time it gives me some ip address which is NOT my
> IP address.


How do you know what your IP address really is?

> I post through Netzero and these particular IP addresses


Netzero is a big ass company, and IP address location is anything but a
precise science. My IP address says I'm located almost 600 miles from
my actual location.

> are from AOL, Pacbell, out of the country IPs, etc. when I log out and
> go back in, ti's a different IP address. Now before I've checke my IP


That's normal. It's called having a dynamic IP address, and it's most
likely GOING to change every time you disconnect and reconnect when
using dialup. DSL doesn't change as often, and I've seen cable
broadband IP's stay constant for months at a time, but they're all
dynamic and subject to change.

> address and it was a netzero/juno IP address, but now each time I get
> some IP address that is not mine. I'm not sure what other info to give
> here, if there is something else I need to tell you, let me know, but


You need to tell us EXACTLY what you're seeing. Specific IP addresses,
EXACTLY how you know it's not your real IP, EXACTLY what you've tried
and done or not done.

> all these condiscending answers and insulting responses aren't getting
> us anywhere.


That's all on you honey. Nobody here can read your mind or see into
your machine by magic, and nobody will waste their time trying to help
you as long as you keep barking about how they haven't when you can't
seem to even describe your problem accurately.

 
Reply With Quote
 
phoenix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
On 11 Sep 2006 10:01:20 -0700, Andrea L wrote:

> Jim Watt wrote:
>> On 9 Sep 2006 19:05:58 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I'm an intermediate when it comes to computers,

>>
>> Does not sound that way
>>
>> read about what IP addresses are and where they come
>> from and if you still think you have a problem, explain
>> it clearly.
>>
>>

>
> Thanks for the help. I can see it was a waste of time asking people in
> here. I got some condescending remarks, nothing remotely resembling a
> helpful answer or suggestion. Amazing.


Well, I guess the problem is your initial statement of "Somehow my IP
address is being hijacked and I don't have the slightest idea how to
stop this". What, exactly, do you mean by 'your IP address is being
hijacked'? What you've posted in your first message doesn't make sense.

If you were a bit more explicit in your details then someone here may be
able to help.

Regards

Bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Watt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
On 11 Sep 2006 10:01:20 -0700, "Andrea L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>Jim Watt wrote:
>> On 9 Sep 2006 19:05:58 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> > I'm an intermediate when it comes to computers,

>>
>> Does not sound that way
>>
>> read about what IP addresses are and where they come
>> from and if you still think you have a problem, explain
>> it clearly.
>>
>>

>
>Thanks for the help. I can see it was a waste of time asking people in
>here. I got some condescending remarks, nothing remotely resembling a
>helpful answer or suggestion. Amazing.


Garbage in, garbage out. But read about IP
addresses and you might understand what they are
and what they are not.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrea L
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006

Non scrivetemi wrote:
> Andrea L wrote:
>
> > No, I have simply asked for help and all I've gotten is a bunch of
> > bullshit. I've never asked "for my problems to be solved" or made ANY
> > demands as you've insinuated. I've been asking for help or advice but
> > all I've gotten is eveyrthing but. If I'm in the wrong group or not
> > giving the info you need, all you have to do is say so, no need to be
> > a jerk.

>
> Nobody is acting like a jerk here but you. If you'd learn how to ask an
> intelligent question and provide some useful information you might get a
> useful answer. As it stands we're not even sure you have a problem at
> all because all you've done is screech "the sky is falling" over and
> over without telling anyone what makes you think it's so.
>

No, I haven't acted like a jerk. Maybe my question wasn't clear, in
which case you can simply ask me to clarify. But to be insulted and
jumped on becuase you didn't like my question says a lot about you,
nerdlinger. Blow your condescending attitude out of your ass.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VPN with DMZ IP address NETed to LAN IP address!!! route-map!!! examples20001@gmail.com Cisco 0 02-07-2006 04:05 PM
PIX Firewall MAC address VPN IP address Julian Dragut Cisco 1 02-07-2006 07:57 AM
obtaining the IP ADDRESS of an IP POHNE by its MAC ADDRESS ProgDario Cisco 17 05-06-2005 02:32 PM
Routing to public IP of NAT address from internal NAT address Andrew Albert Cisco 1 02-08-2005 07:05 PM
Re: Hide Address Bar or Encrypt Address?? avnrao ASP .Net 1 05-04-2004 03:46 PM



Advertisments