Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 2500 ROUTER IOS UPGRADE BUFFER OVERFLOW ERROR MESSAGE

2500 ROUTER IOS UPGRADE BUFFER OVERFLOW ERROR MESSAGE

vreyesii

I am trying to install an IOS into a 2502 Router. However, when the
TFTP server reaches 50 % I get an error message which is "Buffer
overflow - 4193792 / 4193728". Why am I getting this message? When I do
a sh version I get this output. I believe I have enough memory. The
image which I am trying to load is c2500-i-l.121-25.bin.

Thank You,
vreyesii

3000 Software (IGS-RXBOOT Bootstrap), Version 9.14(4) fc3, RELEASE
SOFTWARE
Compiled Mon 13-Dec-93 15:53 by chansen

System Bootstrap, Version (3.3), SOFTWARE

enyrouter uptime is 15 minutes
System restarted by power-on
Running default software

cisco 3000 (68030) processor (revision B) with 16384K/2048K bytes of
memory.
Processor board serial number 01226532
DDN X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2 and BFE compliant.
1 Token Ring/IEEE 802.5 interface.
2 Serial network interfaces.
4096K bytes of Flash address space sized on CPU board.
Configuration register is 0x2101

Peter

Hi Vreyesii,

> I am trying to install an IOS into a 2502 Router. However, when the
> TFTP server reaches 50 % I get an error message which is "Buffer
> overflow - 4193792 / 4193728".

It sounds like you have reached a SIZE limit of the TFTP Server S/W
you are using,, however that is noramy around the 16MB size, not 4MB.
One frequent failure that has been identfied is that some TFTP Server
S/W doesnt correctly handle the large File sizes used these days. You
need to use an updated TFTP Server. I use 3cdaemon and that handles
large files fine.

Cheers.............pk.

--
Peter from Auckland.

vreyesii

Hi Peter,

I tried updating the TFTP Server and I still have the same problem. Do
you think its the amount of Flash memory that the router has is not
enough?

Thanks,

Vreyesii

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

vreyesii wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I tried updating the TFTP Server and I still have the same problem. Do
> you think its the amount of Flash memory that the router has is not
> enough?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vreyesii
>

> Peter wrote:
> > Hi Vreyesii,
> >
> > > I am trying to install an IOS into a 2502 Router. However, when the
> > > TFTP server reaches 50 % I get an error message which is "Buffer
> > > overflow - 4193792 / 4193728".

> > It sounds like you have reached a SIZE limit of the TFTP Server S/W
> > you are using,, however that is noramy around the 16MB size, not 4MB.
> > One frequent failure that has been identfied is that some TFTP Server
> > S/W doesnt correctly handle the large File sizes used these days. You
> > need to use an updated TFTP Server. I use 3cdaemon and that handles
> > large files fine.

"4096K bytes of Flash address space sized on CPU board. "

You appear to have 4M of flash.

The tftp issue by the way is that there is a max file size of
32M 64k x 512

Some implementations of tftp used signed numbers for
the block counter and went wrong at 16M file size.

I like tftpd32.exe
http://perso.orange.fr/philippe.jounin/tftpd32.html

no install, small just run it.

It is though getting more and more features
but old versions are still on the web site.

I use 2.2 which does /not/ have a dhcp server.

vreyesii

Thanks for the help looks like I am going to have to get more Flash
memory.

vreyesii