Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Belkin 54G Wireless Router Problems

Belkin 54G Wireless Router Problems

Ricky

Hi

I'm trying to connect the aforementioned Router to my DSL modem, but it
doesn't seem to connect.

I have a cable modem (Telewest - Motorola) this is currently plugged
straight in to my network card at on the PC.

I have now plugged this ethernet cable in to the Router and then a cable
from the router to the network card in the PC.

After I try to configure the Router, it can't seem to connect. Before the
router gets attached, the internet connection is just fine with a perfectly
valid IP address, from the ISP. After the Router gets connected, then the
IP address changes to a 169.XXX.XX.X type of address, apologies, I didn't
make a note of it. I think it's the default IP address that MS assigns when
a new device is found on the network.

I've been told that this address should be my oringal default gateway
address originating from my ISP?

I'm confused?

Any help?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Kind Regards

Ricky
(WIN2K-SP4 / Netgear FA31 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter / Belkin DSL Gateway
Router - F5D7230-4)

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The Router's WAN port (the one that goes to the Modem) gets assigned with
the ISP's external IP address. If you need to authenticate read this,
http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
Your computer should get a private IP assigned by the Router
(192.168.xxx.xxx).
Look at the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel/Network Connection
http://www.ezlan.net/network/altIP.jpg Make sure that it is set to Auto
obtain IP and DNS, and then reboot
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to connect the aforementioned Router to my DSL modem, but it
> doesn't seem to connect.
>
> I have a cable modem (Telewest - Motorola) this is currently plugged
> straight in to my network card at on the PC.
>
> I have now plugged this ethernet cable in to the Router and then a cable
> from the router to the network card in the PC.
>
> After I try to configure the Router, it can't seem to connect. Before the
> router gets attached, the internet connection is just fine with a
> perfectly
> valid IP address, from the ISP. After the Router gets connected, then the
> IP address changes to a 169.XXX.XX.X type of address, apologies, I didn't
> make a note of it. I think it's the default IP address that MS assigns
> when
> a new device is found on the network.
>
> I've been told that this address should be my oringal default gateway
> address originating from my ISP?
>
> I'm confused?
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help given.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Ricky
> (WIN2K-SP4 / Netgear FA31 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter / Belkin DSL Gateway
> Router - F5D7230-4)

Lem

Ricky wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to connect the aforementioned Router to my DSL modem, but it
> doesn't seem to connect.
>
> I have a cable modem (Telewest - Motorola) this is currently plugged
> straight in to my network card at on the PC.
>
> I have now plugged this ethernet cable in to the Router and then a cable
> from the router to the network card in the PC.
>
> After I try to configure the Router, it can't seem to connect. Before the
> router gets attached, the internet connection is just fine with a perfectly
> valid IP address, from the ISP. After the Router gets connected, then the
> IP address changes to a 169.XXX.XX.X type of address, apologies, I didn't
> make a note of it. I think it's the default IP address that MS assigns when
> a new device is found on the network.
>
> I've been told that this address should be my oringal default gateway
> address originating from my ISP?
>
> I'm confused?
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help given.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Ricky
> (WIN2K-SP4 / Netgear FA31 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter / Belkin DSL Gateway
> Router - F5D7230-4)

Your cable modem probably is looking for the MAC address of the network
card that was used when you first connected (the one in your PC). You
can either use the "clone MAC address" feature in the Belkin router or
there may be some way to reset the cable modem. I don't know if this
can be done by unplugging the cable modem for a few minutes or if you
would have to call your ISP.

Ricky

Hi Jack

thank you kindly for you reply, I seem to get an IP address starting with
169.XX etc..., I've been told that this is the default IP address assinged
by Windows, is this correct, or is this a defect of the router?

Kind Regards

Ricky

news:uj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> The Router's WAN port (the one that goes to the Modem) gets assigned with
> the ISP's external IP address. If you need to authenticate read this,
> http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
> Your computer should get a private IP assigned by the Router
> (192.168.xxx.xxx).
> Look at the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel/Network Connection
> http://www.ezlan.net/network/altIP.jpg Make sure that it is set to Auto
> obtain IP and DNS, and then reboot
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm trying to connect the aforementioned Router to my DSL modem, but it
> > doesn't seem to connect.
> >
> > I have a cable modem (Telewest - Motorola) this is currently plugged
> > straight in to my network card at on the PC.
> >
> > I have now plugged this ethernet cable in to the Router and then a cable
> > from the router to the network card in the PC.
> >
> > After I try to configure the Router, it can't seem to connect. Before

the
> > router gets attached, the internet connection is just fine with a
> > perfectly
> > valid IP address, from the ISP. After the Router gets connected, then

the
> > IP address changes to a 169.XXX.XX.X type of address, apologies, I

didn't
> > make a note of it. I think it's the default IP address that MS assigns
> > when
> > a new device is found on the network.
> >
> > I've been told that this address should be my oringal default gateway
> > address originating from my ISP?
> >
> > I'm confused?
> >
> > Any help?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help given.
> >
> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Ricky
> > (WIN2K-SP4 / Netgear FA31 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter / Belkin DSL Gateway
> > Router - F5D7230-4)

Ricky

Also, i fogot to mention, I do not seemt to get the 192.XXX number that you
mention?

"Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jack
>
> thank you kindly for you reply, I seem to get an IP address starting with
> 169.XX etc..., I've been told that this is the default IP address assinged
> by Windows, is this correct, or is this a defect of the router?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Ricky
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > The Router's WAN port (the one that goes to the Modem) gets assigned

with
> > the ISP's external IP address. If you need to authenticate read this,
> > http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
> > Your computer should get a private IP assigned by the Router
> > (192.168.xxx.xxx).
> > Look at the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel/Network Connection
> > http://www.ezlan.net/network/altIP.jpg Make sure that it is set to Auto
> > obtain IP and DNS, and then reboot
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >
> > "Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm trying to connect the aforementioned Router to my DSL modem, but

it
> > > doesn't seem to connect.
> > >
> > > I have a cable modem (Telewest - Motorola) this is currently plugged
> > > straight in to my network card at on the PC.
> > >
> > > I have now plugged this ethernet cable in to the Router and then a

cable
> > > from the router to the network card in the PC.
> > >
> > > After I try to configure the Router, it can't seem to connect. Before

> the
> > > router gets attached, the internet connection is just fine with a
> > > perfectly
> > > valid IP address, from the ISP. After the Router gets connected, then

> the
> > > IP address changes to a 169.XXX.XX.X type of address, apologies, I

> didn't
> > > make a note of it. I think it's the default IP address that MS assigns
> > > when
> > > a new device is found on the network.
> > >
> > > I've been told that this address should be my oringal default gateway
> > > address originating from my ISP?
> > >
> > > I'm confused?
> > >
> > > Any help?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help given.
> > >
> > > Kind Regards
> > >
> > > Ricky
> > > (WIN2K-SP4 / Netgear FA31 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter / Belkin DSL

Gateway
> > > Router - F5D7230-4)

Lem

Ricky wrote:
> Hi Jack
>
> thank you kindly for you reply, I seem to get an IP address starting with
> 169.XX etc..., I've been told that this is the default IP address assinged
> by Windows, is this correct, or is this a defect of the router?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Ricky
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi
>>The Router's WAN port (the one that goes to the Modem) gets assigned with
>>the ISP's external IP address. If you need to authenticate read this,
>>http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
>>Your computer should get a private IP assigned by the Router
>>(192.168.xxx.xxx).
>>Look at the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel/Network Connection
>>http://www.ezlan.net/network/altIP.jpg Make sure that it is set to Auto
>>obtain IP and DNS, and then reboot
>>Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>>"Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I'm trying to connect the aforementioned Router to my DSL modem, but it
>>>doesn't seem to connect.
>>>
>>>I have a cable modem (Telewest - Motorola) this is currently plugged
>>>straight in to my network card at on the PC.
>>>
>>>I have now plugged this ethernet cable in to the Router and then a cable
>>>from the router to the network card in the PC.
>>>
>>>After I try to configure the Router, it can't seem to connect. Before

> the
>
>>>router gets attached, the internet connection is just fine with a
>>>perfectly
>>>valid IP address, from the ISP. After the Router gets connected, then

> the
>
>>>IP address changes to a 169.XXX.XX.X type of address, apologies, I

> didn't
>
>>>make a note of it. I think it's the default IP address that MS assigns
>>>when
>>>a new device is found on the network.
>>>
>>>I've been told that this address should be my oringal default gateway
>>>address originating from my ISP?
>>>
>>>I'm confused?
>>>
>>>Any help?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help given.
>>>
>>>Kind Regards
>>>
>>>Ricky
>>>(WIN2K-SP4 / Netgear FA31 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter / Belkin DSL Gateway
>>>Router - F5D7230-4)

You are getting an APIPA address -- this is what Windows does if the NIC
is configured to use DHCP but no DHCP server can be found.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html

In your original post, you wrote that you were trying to connect the
router to your DSL modem, and then you wrote that have a cable modem.
Are you trying to use both? Switch from cable to DSL? Something else?

ricky

Apologies, is DSL and Cable not the same type? Didn't meant to confuse.

I live in the UK and my provider is Telewest Cable.

"Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ricky wrote:
> > Hi Jack
> >
> > thank you kindly for you reply, I seem to get an IP address starting

with
> > 169.XX etc..., I've been told that this is the default IP address

assinged
> > by Windows, is this correct, or is this a defect of the router?
> >
> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Ricky
> >
> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:uj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Hi
> >>The Router's WAN port (the one that goes to the Modem) gets assigned

with
> >>the ISP's external IP address. If you need to authenticate read this,
> >>http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
> >>Your computer should get a private IP assigned by the Router
> >>(192.168.xxx.xxx).
> >>Look at the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel/Network Connection
> >>http://www.ezlan.net/network/altIP.jpg Make sure that it is set to Auto
> >>obtain IP and DNS, and then reboot
> >>Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >>
> >>"Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

cable

> > the

> > the

> > didn't

Gateway

> You are getting an APIPA address -- this is what Windows does if the NIC
> is configured to use DHCP but no DHCP server can be found.
> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html
>
> In your original post, you wrote that you were trying to connect the
> router to your DSL modem, and then you wrote that have a cable modem.
> Are you trying to use both? Switch from cable to DSL? Something else?

David Hettel MVP MobileDevices

Something seems to be setup wrong. You should be getting something in the
192.168.0.xxx range from the router. When you plug the wire into the router,
does the router show that a cable is connected? Are you using the cable that
came with the router to connect the router to the computer, or the cable
that came with the modem? Look at the leds on your network card when
connected to the cable modem, are they the same color when connected to the
router?

This basic connection between the computer and router should work even if
the router is not connected to the cable modem. Is the router new? You might
want to try resetting the router to the factory default setting, should be a
button you press when powering it up.

David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

"Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jack
>
> thank you kindly for you reply, I seem to get an IP address starting with
> 169.XX etc..., I've been told that this is the default IP address assinged
> by Windows, is this correct, or is this a defect of the router?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Ricky
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> The Router's WAN port (the one that goes to the Modem) gets assigned with
>> the ISP's external IP address. If you need to authenticate read this,
>> http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
>> Your computer should get a private IP assigned by the Router
>> (192.168.xxx.xxx).
>> Look at the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel/Network Connection
>> http://www.ezlan.net/network/altIP.jpg Make sure that it is set to Auto
>> obtain IP and DNS, and then reboot
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I'm trying to connect the aforementioned Router to my DSL modem, but it
>> > doesn't seem to connect.
>> >
>> > I have a cable modem (Telewest - Motorola) this is currently plugged
>> > straight in to my network card at on the PC.
>> >
>> > I have now plugged this ethernet cable in to the Router and then a
>> > cable
>> > from the router to the network card in the PC.
>> >
>> > After I try to configure the Router, it can't seem to connect. Before

> the
>> > router gets attached, the internet connection is just fine with a
>> > perfectly
>> > valid IP address, from the ISP. After the Router gets connected, then

> the
>> > IP address changes to a 169.XXX.XX.X type of address, apologies, I

> didn't
>> > make a note of it. I think it's the default IP address that MS assigns
>> > when
>> > a new device is found on the network.
>> >
>> > I've been told that this address should be my oringal default gateway
>> > address originating from my ISP?
>> >
>> > I'm confused?
>> >
>> > Any help?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any help given.
>> >
>> > Kind Regards
>> >
>> > Ricky
>> > (WIN2K-SP4 / Netgear FA31 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter / Belkin DSL
>> > Gateway
>> > Router - F5D7230-4)

ricky

Hello Dave

Thanks for your email. Thanks for the suggestions. I connected the Router
directly to the PC, without going via the Modem and then I performed a
factory reset a few times, and voila, I now can connect to the 192.168.2.1
IP address for configuring the Router.

Just hooked it up as a pass through with the modem and it works, I can
finally connect to the internet. Just need to try this with a wireless
client of somesort.

Kind regards

Ricky

"David Hettel MVP MobileDevices" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Something seems to be setup wrong. You should be getting something in the
> 192.168.0.xxx range from the router. When you plug the wire into the

router,
> does the router show that a cable is connected? Are you using the cable

that
> came with the router to connect the router to the computer, or the cable
> that came with the modem? Look at the leds on your network card when
> connected to the cable modem, are they the same color when connected to

the
> router?
>
> This basic connection between the computer and router should work even if
> the router is not connected to the cable modem. Is the router new? You

might
> want to try resetting the router to the factory default setting, should be

> button you press when powering it up.
>
> David Hettel
> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>
> "Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Jack
> >
> > thank you kindly for you reply, I seem to get an IP address starting

with
> > 169.XX etc..., I've been told that this is the default IP address

assinged
> > by Windows, is this correct, or is this a defect of the router?
> >
> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Ricky
> >
> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:uj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi
> >> The Router's WAN port (the one that goes to the Modem) gets assigned

with
> >> the ISP's external IP address. If you need to authenticate read this,
> >> http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
> >> Your computer should get a private IP assigned by the Router
> >> (192.168.xxx.xxx).
> >> Look at the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel/Network Connection
> >> http://www.ezlan.net/network/altIP.jpg Make sure that it is set to Auto
> >> obtain IP and DNS, and then reboot
> >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >>
> >> "Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

it

Before
> > the

then
> > the

> > didn't

assigns

roco88 roco88 is offline
Junior Member

i also have the same problem...i cant get my PC to read or see my router when i got to run>cdm>ipconfig

i usually get a "no media" connected thing meaning its probably looking for the network adapter of my PC then of the router when connected together. anyways can someone post all the steps and include wat i have to type in the (TCP/IP) settings?i have a F5D7230-4 router (ver 4001)so you guys think its better to do all this after i shut the PC down for the night?since i always leave my cable modem off/stanby through the nigth also.

i know this is an old thread but i really need help. thanx