Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Unable to make python work properly

Unable to make python work properly

Benjamin Grant

Hi all,
I'd greatly appreciate any help. I can configure, make and install
everything fine. I'm using python 2.4 I have ubuntu dapper drake. I am
trying to install hplip which requires python. When I do this, this
also works but while running the following error occurs:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/hp-setup", line 31, in ?
import readline, gzip
ImportError: No module named readline

It appears as though for some reaosn the readline module is not being
installed on my system. Also, it doesn't really seem like python could
possibly be being installed correctly. If I go to python tools and try
to run ./listmodules I get the following error:

> File "/usr/lib/python2.4/doc/tools/listmodules", line 183, in ?
> main()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.4/doc/tools/listmodules", line 119, in main
> os.chdir("Modules")
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'Modules'

Any tool i try to run in the python/doc folder gives me error messages. Any thoughts on why
this is not working at all? I'd gladly erase everything w/ regards to python
and start over if that would help, but i'm unsure how to do that. Thanks for the help
Ben

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, Benjamin Grant
wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'd greatly appreciate any help. I can configure, make and install
> everything fine. I'm using python 2.4 I have ubuntu dapper drake. I am
> trying to install hplip which requires python. When I do this, this
> also works but while running the following error occurs:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/local/bin/hp-setup", line 31, in ?
> import readline, gzip
> ImportError: No module named readline

`hplip` is available as package in the Ubuntu repositories. Why do you
install it from sources?

> It appears as though for some reaosn the readline module is not being
> installed on my system.

It's a dependency of the Python packages. That's odd.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch