Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > MCSD/MCPD/no certification at all?

MCSD/MCPD/no certification at all?

rincewind

Hi,

I need a career advise. I have a university degree in CS and I've been a
programmer for the last 8 years; now I'm a senior programmer with good
prospects to becoming either a team lead or an architect in the next few
months. However, virtually all my experience is with C++/Win32. I do like it
so far, I'm doing reasonably well financially, but I still feel that my
skills are becoming increasingly niche skills, and if I lose my job it'll be
much harder for me to find a job that for a Java or .NET programmer.

Now I can get my employer pay for some .NET courses and exams (however, I
have no substantial experience with these technologies, just my own
experimenting). I also happen to have passed a .NET 1.1/C# Desktop exam
(316, I think) some time in the past.

Now the question - does it make any sense at all to persue .NET
certification? If yes, should I continue with .NET 1.1/MCSD path, or take
this new MCPD exams?

Chris Mullins

"rincewind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Now the question - does it make any sense at all to persue .NET
> certification? If yes, should I continue with .NET 1.1/MCSD path, or take
> this new MCPD exams?

Well, you're asking "Is it worth it?" on a group dedicated to these very
certifications, so your answers are probably going to be a bit skewed.

With that said, I do think the certs are worth it - especially if the money
isn't coming out of your own pocket. I don't know how much they really help
in terms of getting jobs, but I do think they help with:

1 - They force you to learn a new technology in a structured way. People
tend to always have a "I'm too busy to do this because..." and seldom have
the disciplin to follow through with learning something new on their own.

2 - It guarantees you a very strong overview of the .Net framework. You'll
see areas during your certifications that you would normally never see in
the normal course of your day. This may include MSMQ / Remoting / ASP.Net /
Windows Forms / Services / Code Access Security / Enterprise Services, or
some other random collection of technologies. Without at least having seen
these, it's hard to know they're there. Everything looks like a nail, and
all that...

3 - The certs do help in some cases with getting an interview, or meeting a
requirement.

4 - You get to add new lines to your signature files

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD

Sept. 8, 2006

I agree with Chris.... .net certs are definitely worth it, and I believe
particularly in your case.... where although being a Senior dev in C or
other unmanaged languages, it probably isn't going to help you one ounce
getting a job in .Net because they just are soooo different.

And because it is on someone else's dime (which is aways extremely
helpful!), I don't have a single reason why you shouldn't.

And although the cert won't get you the job, it definitely will help you
prove you are worthwhile to interview especially after making a big change
like going to .Net (most people are like countries fighting........ managed
vs. unmanaged code with no mercy or compromise)

Hope this helps and good luck!
--
Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Web Site/Blog: http://CactiDevelopers.ResDev.Net/

"Chris Mullins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "rincewind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> Now the question - does it make any sense at all to persue .NET
>> certification? If yes, should I continue with .NET 1.1/MCSD path, or take
>> this new MCPD exams?

> Well, you're asking "Is it worth it?" on a group dedicated to these very
> certifications, so your answers are probably going to be a bit skewed.
>
> With that said, I do think the certs are worth it - especially if the
> money isn't coming out of your own pocket. I don't know how much they
> really help in terms of getting jobs, but I do think they help with:
>
> 1 - They force you to learn a new technology in a structured way. People
> tend to always have a "I'm too busy to do this because..." and seldom have
> the disciplin to follow through with learning something new on their own.
>
> 2 - It guarantees you a very strong overview of the .Net framework. You'll
> see areas during your certifications that you would normally never see in
> the normal course of your day. This may include MSMQ / Remoting / ASP.Net
> / Windows Forms / Services / Code Access Security / Enterprise Services,
> or some other random collection of technologies. Without at least having
> seen these, it's hard to know they're there. Everything looks like a nail,
> and all that...
>
> 3 - The certs do help in some cases with getting an interview, or meeting
> a requirement.
>
> 4 - You get to add new lines to your signature files
>

> --
> Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
> http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

jziegler jziegler is offline
Junior Member
Location: Minneapolis

MCPD certs are in demand. I am actively looking to hire some for our Web development firm in Minneapolis for two reasons: I know they immediatly have skills to be a consultant for us AND they help us fulfill our partner requirement with Microsoft. In fact I found this board looking for MCPD's.

Jeremy Ziegler
http://www.awareweb.com/Bios.aspx

radhiga.balu@gmail.com

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD wrote:
> Sept. 8, 2006
>
> I agree with Chris.... .net certs are definitely worth it, and I believe
> particularly in your case.... where although being a Senior dev in C or
> other unmanaged languages, it probably isn't going to help you one ounce
> getting a job in .Net because they just are soooo different.
>
> And because it is on someone else's dime (which is aways extremely
> helpful!), I don't have a single reason why you shouldn't.
>
> And although the cert won't get you the job, it definitely will help you
> prove you are worthwhile to interview especially after making a big change
> like going to .Net (most people are like countries fighting........ managed
> vs. unmanaged code with no mercy or compromise)
>
> Hope this helps and good luck!
> --
> Joseph Bittman
> Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional -- DPM
>
> Web Site/Blog: http://CactiDevelopers.ResDev.Net/
>
> "Chris Mullins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "rincewind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >
> >> Now the question - does it make any sense at all to persue .NET
> >> certification? If yes, should I continue with .NET 1.1/MCSD path, or take
> >> this new MCPD exams?

> > Well, you're asking "Is it worth it?" on a group dedicated to these very
> > certifications, so your answers are probably going to be a bit skewed.
> >
> > With that said, I do think the certs are worth it - especially if the
> > money isn't coming out of your own pocket. I don't know how much they
> > really help in terms of getting jobs, but I do think they help with:
> >
> > 1 - They force you to learn a new technology in a structured way. People
> > tend to always have a "I'm too busy to do this because..." and seldom have
> > the disciplin to follow through with learning something new on their own.
> >
> > 2 - It guarantees you a very strong overview of the .Net framework. You'll
> > see areas during your certifications that you would normally never see in
> > the normal course of your day. This may include MSMQ / Remoting / ASP.Net
> > / Windows Forms / Services / Code Access Security / Enterprise Services,
> > or some other random collection of technologies. Without at least having
> > seen these, it's hard to know they're there. Everything looks like a nail,
> > and all that...
> >
> > 3 - The certs do help in some cases with getting an interview, or meeting
> > a requirement.
> >
> > 4 - You get to add new lines to your signature files
> >

> > --
> > Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
> > http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

radhiga.balu@gmail.com

I have 1.5 years of experience in C#.NET and ASP.NET , I would like to
do the certification in .net. Should I go for MCAD or MCP. whats the
difference ? I am bit confused. Please advise me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Radhiga.

Cerebrus

> Should I go for MCAD or MCP. whats the
> difference ? I am bit confused. Please advise me.

Answers here : <http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/>

Kev

-------

>"Chris Mullins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> Well, you're asking "Is it worth it?" on a group dedicated to these
> very certifications, so your answers are probably going to be a bit
> skewed.
>
> With that said, I do think the certs are worth it - especially if the
> money isn't coming out of your own pocket. I don't know how much they
> really help in terms of getting jobs, but I do think they help with:
>
> 1 - They force you to learn a new technology in a structured way.
> People tend to always have a "I'm too busy to do this because..." and
> seldom have the disciplin to follow through with learning something
> new on their own.
>
> 2 - It guarantees you a very strong overview of the .Net framework.
> You'll see areas during your certifications that you would normally
> never see in the normal course of your day. This may include MSMQ /
> Remoting / ASP.Net / Windows Forms / Services / Code Access Security /
> Enterprise Services, or some other random collection of technologies.
> Without at least having seen these, it's hard to know they're there.
> Everything looks like a nail, and all that...
>
> 3 - The certs do help in some cases with getting an interview, or
> meeting a requirement.
>
> 4 - You get to add new lines to your signature files
>
> --
> Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
> http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

I'd agree with all of this. I've been a developer for 8 years now (6
c++/mfc, 2 .Net) and through doing the certifications I've forced myself
to look at area's of .Net that I didn't even know existed.
Also since you actually have something to show for your studying it does
feel satisfying as you feel you have some sort of proof that you put in
the work.

The transistion from c++ to .Net shouldn't be that hard for you, you
will probably find .Net a lot easier actually as its a managed
environment and the intellisense is so much better.

Overall I'd say the certification process has been an enjoyable one for
me and I'm finding it rewarding.
I should get my MCTS Web Client Developer tomorrow only leaving 70-549
left in my path to MCPD:EA

--
Kev

MCTS: Windows Developer
MCTS: Distributed Applications Developer