Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco PIX 525 Authentication Problem

Cisco PIX 525 Authentication Problem

nice_man22_99@yahoo.com

Hi Peeps

We have 2 Cisco PIX 525 firewall at work which has been working Ok all
the while. These PIXs authenticate users by TACACS and they also have
local username and password configured on it. They don't accept Telnet
but accept only SSH.

Last week, when logging on the the firewall over SSH, the firewalls
kept prompting me to put my password in, over and over again even
though I had supplied the correct password. I then consoled directly to
the PIX and got the same problem with the local username and password.
Both PIXs will not authenticate me.

I rebooted the PIXs and was then able to log on successfully. Just a
couple of days later the problem has started again and it seems I can
only get it to work if I reboot the PIXs. Has anyone come across this
problem? Any suggestions?

Anyway, the PIX works fine and does what it is suppose to for user,
only that we can't log on to it.

HardwareIX Version 6.3(4)

PIX-525, 256 MB RAM, CPU Pentium III 600 MHz
Flash E28F128J3 @ 0x300, 16MB
BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

Any suggetion will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ex PIX manager

CCIE 15766

Does your AAA server have the same username/password pair as LOCAL?
If it does, you should make sure that this account is not
blocked/denied on your AAA server.