Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Suddenly can't access network using wireless

Suddenly can't access network using wireless

=?Utf-8?B?VFhK?=

I have a Dell laptop with an built in Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG. My DSL
modem/router is a Westell 327W. Up until 9/5, everything worked fine.
Suddenly, I lost my wireless connection. Windows reports that its connected,
but it can't seem to obtain an IP address. I used a manual IP address and
Windows connects successfully.

Problem is that the connection keeps getting dropped. It may be up for 10
seconds or so, and then it's lost. Windows immediately reconnects
successfully but the connection again gets dropped in the same way. I'm stuck
in a loop.

I know that Intel and Westell have some compatibility problems but the
connection worked flawlessly up until a few days ago. I've tried another
Westell router and the same problem occurs. I've tried tweaking settings on
both the laptop and the dsl router to no avail. Did a hotfix break my
networking? Does anyone have any other ideas?

I appreciate any help.

Theo.

=?Utf-8?B?VFhK?=

I forgot to mention...

When the problems started, I double checked the laptop by connecting to an
unsecured network. It worked fine (I could get to the Internet just fine).

I can also see the laptop connected with a status of "Associated" when I
admin the router using a wired PC. The lap top shows up briefly and then
disappears.

Hope this helps.

"TXJ" wrote:

> I have a Dell laptop with an built in Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG. My DSL
> modem/router is a Westell 327W. Up until 9/5, everything worked fine.
> Suddenly, I lost my wireless connection. Windows reports that its connected,
> but it can't seem to obtain an IP address. I used a manual IP address and
> Windows connects successfully.
>
> Problem is that the connection keeps getting dropped. It may be up for 10
> seconds or so, and then it's lost. Windows immediately reconnects
> successfully but the connection again gets dropped in the same way. I'm stuck
> in a loop.
>
> I know that Intel and Westell have some compatibility problems but the
> connection worked flawlessly up until a few days ago. I've tried another
> Westell router and the same problem occurs. I've tried tweaking settings on
> both the laptop and the dsl router to no avail. Did a hotfix break my
> networking? Does anyone have any other ideas?
>
> I appreciate any help.
>
> Theo.

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

Hi Theo,

The first thing I would do is check the event log on your laptop to see if
it gives some clues as to what's going on (Control Panel, Administrative
Tools, Event Viewer).

Also try using the command "ipconfig/release" followed by "ipconfig/renew"
and then "ipconfig/all" at a command prompt. Refresh event viewer and see
if it gives you a clue as to the problem.

If none of this helps, you might try completely removing the wireless NIC
from device manager, then reinstalling it. Since another router does the
same thing, and you can connect to an unsecured network without any
problems, the problem would seem to be with the wireless configuration on
your laptop. Rebuilding it from scratch might help.

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

no rights.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...