Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Sony drx 800 ul external dvd burner??

Sony drx 800 ul external dvd burner??

velcro velcro is offline
Junior Member
Location: Canada

Well, after a lot of googling and reading I realize that it is impossible to get another BenQ as they sold out their optical drives to Lite On and so I am now looking at the above Sony DVD external burner.

My big problem is first, BenQ had a tech support line that I phoned as soon as I made my purchase and they advised to only use R+ media, maxell, tdk, sony, fuji or benq as they had all been tested with their units and worked fine. And yes, that was the case. I never had a coaster in the 100+ that I burned. Using their Book Management exe. to burn in dvd-rom. All 22 standalone players in our family had no problems reading the discs that I burned.

I am not certain about "bit setting" etc. which I understand is possible with this unit and even whether I would have to do that.
I still intend to burn on R+ media as that is what I have in all of the above brands.
So what I am asking is Sony requiring special media to be compatible on diverse standalone players like R- or R+ and specific brands?? And do I have to do something with this bit setting and how would I go about finding out how to do that???

There are 2 left at the Future Shop at $149, not a bad price cdn.

And lastly, if I have to d/l a firmware onto my notebook can it cause me problems if I want to use my BenQ burner on the same notebook.
As you can see, I know nothing about bitsetting, firmware d/l etc.

I have been doing back-ups w/o problems with my BenQ since Dec 2005 and don't know a lot about the tech aspect.

I hope that someone can advise me on my queries. BTW in another forum the drx 820 ul is supposed to have auto bit setting, but that model is not available here and so i wanted to add another query to see if anyone knows if this model has the same feature.

Thankyou.

Last edited by velcro; 09-08-2006 at 12:52 AM..