Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > setup VLAN trunking between 2924 switch and 2611 router

setup VLAN trunking between 2924 switch and 2611 router

tjiang@computeredservices.com

how is it going? I have a cisco question. Can I setup VLAN trunking
between a catalyst 2924 and a 2611 router with only ethernet
interfaces? All the documentation on cisco site uses fastethernet on
2600. I tried to use the same direction. Everything works fine, except
for the link between the switch and router. I keep getting:

%LINK-4-ERROR: FastEthernet0/22 is experiencing errors

sh controller ethernet f0/22 command gives:

Transmit Receive
2817441 Bytes 685885 Bytes
1 Unicast frames 1 Unicast frames
41708 Multicast frames 480 Multicast frames
54 Broadcast frames 66 Broadcast frames
0 Discarded frames 0 No bandwidth frames
0 Too old frames 0 No buffers frames
1 Deferred frames 54 No dest, unicast
0 1 collision frames 2 No dest, multicast
0 2 collision frames 0 No dest, broadcast
0 3 collision frames 0 Alignment errors
1 4 collision frames 1347 FCS errors
0 5 collision frames 4 Collision fragments
0 6 collision frames
0 7 collision frames 0 Undersize frames
0 8 collision frames 418 Minimum size frames
0 9 collision frames 13 65 to 127 byte frames
0 10 collision frames 0 128 to 255 byte frames
0 11 collision frames 1475 256 to 511 byte frames
0 12 collision frames 44 512 to 1023 byte frames
0 13 collision frames 0 1024 to 1518 byte frames
0 14 collision frames 0 Oversize frames
0 15 collision frames
0 Excessive collisions
0 Late collisions
I've checked duplex and speed config. they match on both sides.
any suggestions?

BB

Could you tell me the 2611's IOS version. As I know, no trunking feature is
supported in 2611 (except 2611XM)

BB
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> how is it going? I have a cisco question. Can I setup VLAN trunking
> between a catalyst 2924 and a 2611 router with only ethernet
> interfaces? All the documentation on cisco site uses fastethernet on
> 2600. I tried to use the same direction. Everything works fine, except
> for the link between the switch and router. I keep getting:
>
> %LINK-4-ERROR: FastEthernet0/22 is experiencing errors
>
> sh controller ethernet f0/22 command gives:
>
> Transmit Receive
> 2817441 Bytes 685885 Bytes
> 1 Unicast frames 1 Unicast frames
> 41708 Multicast frames 480 Multicast frames
> 54 Broadcast frames 66 Broadcast frames
> 0 Discarded frames 0 No bandwidth frames
> 0 Too old frames 0 No buffers frames
> 1 Deferred frames 54 No dest, unicast
> 0 1 collision frames 2 No dest, multicast
> 0 2 collision frames 0 No dest, broadcast
> 0 3 collision frames 0 Alignment errors
> 1 4 collision frames 1347 FCS errors
> 0 5 collision frames 4 Collision fragments
> 0 6 collision frames
> 0 7 collision frames 0 Undersize frames
> 0 8 collision frames 418 Minimum size frames
> 0 9 collision frames 13 65 to 127 byte frames
> 0 10 collision frames 0 128 to 255 byte frames
> 0 11 collision frames 1475 256 to 511 byte frames
> 0 12 collision frames 44 512 to 1023 byte frames
> 0 13 collision frames 0 1024 to 1518 byte frames
> 0 14 collision frames 0 Oversize frames
> 0 15 collision frames
> 0 Excessive collisions
> 0 Late collisions
> I've checked duplex and speed config. they match on both sides.
> any suggestions?

tjiang@computeredservices.com

thanks for your help. I found that on the cisco product page. I should
have read it before.
happy new year

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ignaz_Kr=E4henmann?=

BB wrote:
> Could you tell me the 2611's IOS version. As I know, no trunking feature is
> supported in 2611 (except 2611XM)
>
> BB
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>how is it going? I have a cisco question. Can I setup VLAN trunking
>>between a catalyst 2924 and a 2611 router with only ethernet
>>interfaces? All the documentation on cisco site uses fastethernet on
>>2600. I tried to use the same direction. Everything works fine, except
>>for the link between the switch and router. I keep getting:
>>
>>%LINK-4-ERROR: FastEthernet0/22 is experiencing errors
>>
>>sh controller ethernet f0/22 command gives:
>>
>>Transmit Receive
>>2817441 Bytes 685885 Bytes
>>1 Unicast frames 1 Unicast frames
>>41708 Multicast frames 480 Multicast frames
>>54 Broadcast frames 66 Broadcast frames
>>0 Discarded frames 0 No bandwidth frames
>>0 Too old frames 0 No buffers frames
>>1 Deferred frames 54 No dest, unicast
>>0 1 collision frames 2 No dest, multicast
>>0 2 collision frames 0 No dest, broadcast
>>0 3 collision frames 0 Alignment errors
>>1 4 collision frames 1347 FCS errors
>>0 5 collision frames 4 Collision fragments
>>0 6 collision frames
>>0 7 collision frames 0 Undersize frames
>>0 8 collision frames 418 Minimum size frames
>>0 9 collision frames 13 65 to 127 byte frames
>>0 10 collision frames 0 128 to 255 byte frames
>>0 11 collision frames 1475 256 to 511 byte frames
>>0 12 collision frames 44 512 to 1023 byte frames
>>0 13 collision frames 0 1024 to 1518 byte frames
>>0 14 collision frames 0 Oversize frames
>>0 15 collision frames
>>0 Excessive collisions
>>0 Late collisions
>>I've checked duplex and speed config. they match on both sides.
>>any suggestions?

The 2611 has a 10BaseT Interface, wright? These 26xx routers only
support 802.1q (not ISL) trunking and, I believe, it must be a T-version
IOS. Don't forget about the native VLAN.

Igi.

thrill

A 2611 does not support VLANs. The reason that Cisco documentation
only references fast ethernet interfaces for trunking is that only
router interfaces with fast ethernet interfaces are supported. You
need to get a 2620 or a 2611XM router or something else that has fast
ethernet interfaces.

Scott

Ignaz Krähenmann wrote:
> BB wrote:
> > Could you tell me the 2611's IOS version. As I know, no trunking

feature is
> > supported in 2611 (except 2611XM)
> >
> > BB
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> >>how is it going? I have a cisco question. Can I setup VLAN trunking
> >>between a catalyst 2924 and a 2611 router with only ethernet
> >>interfaces? All the documentation on cisco site uses fastethernet

on
> >>2600. I tried to use the same direction. Everything works fine,

except
> >>for the link between the switch and router. I keep getting:
> >>
> >>%LINK-4-ERROR: FastEthernet0/22 is experiencing errors
> >>
> >>sh controller ethernet f0/22 command gives:
> >>
> >>Transmit Receive
> >>2817441 Bytes 685885 Bytes
> >>1 Unicast frames 1 Unicast frames
> >>41708 Multicast frames 480 Multicast frames
> >>54 Broadcast frames 66 Broadcast frames
> >>0 Discarded frames 0 No bandwidth frames
> >>0 Too old frames 0 No buffers frames
> >>1 Deferred frames 54 No dest, unicast
> >>0 1 collision frames 2 No dest, multicast
> >>0 2 collision frames 0 No dest, broadcast
> >>0 3 collision frames 0 Alignment errors
> >>1 4 collision frames 1347 FCS errors
> >>0 5 collision frames 4 Collision fragments
> >>0 6 collision frames
> >>0 7 collision frames 0 Undersize frames
> >>0 8 collision frames 418 Minimum size frames
> >>0 9 collision frames 13 65 to 127 byte frames
> >>0 10 collision frames 0 128 to 255 byte frames
> >>0 11 collision frames 1475 256 to 511 byte frames
> >>0 12 collision frames 44 512 to 1023 byte frames
> >>0 13 collision frames 0 1024 to 1518 byte frames
> >>0 14 collision frames 0 Oversize frames
> >>0 15 collision frames
> >>0 Excessive collisions
> >>0 Late collisions
> >>I've checked duplex and speed config. they match on both sides.
> >>any suggestions?
> >>

> The 2611 has a 10BaseT Interface, wright? These 26xx routers only
> support 802.1q (not ISL) trunking and, I believe, it must be a

T-version
> IOS. Don't forget about the native VLAN.
>
> Igi.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
thrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:A 2611 does not support VLANs. The reason that Cisco documentation
nly references fast ethernet interfaces for trunking is that only
:router interfaces with fast ethernet interfaces are supported. You
:need to get a 2620 or a 2611XM router or something else that has fast
:ethernet interfaces.

That is no longer correct.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800921e4.html

802.1Q encapsulation is now available on the built-in 10BaseT
Ethernet interfaces of the Cisco 2610, 2611, and 2612 with Cisco
IOS software 12.2(2)T and subsequent releases.

Someone indicated that they thought T-train was required. That would
have been the case with 12.2, but if I understand Cisco's release
model correctly, features introduced in 12.2T would become part of
the mainline release in 12.3. [It's tricky sometimes to know what
a 'subsequent release' is.]

It does appear that at least the PLUS feature set is needed,
according to the not-entirely-trustable Feature Navigator.
--
Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann