Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Vonage, Takes Ages Before My Phone Rings

Vonage, Takes Ages Before My Phone Rings

Phil

When someone rings my new Vonage set up they get about 4 rings before my
phone starts ringing. I have just transferred from Freetalk and am using the
Motorola VT2442-VU. I have done a few test rings to my Vonage set up using
another line and I can see that the router is telling my phone to ring as
soon as I hear the ringing tone on the other line as one of the LED's starts
flashing but it just takes 4 or so rings for my phone connected to the
Vonage set up to actually start ringing. I have tried putting in an ADSL
filter in between the VT2442 and my phone but this makes no difference. The
phone I'm using is a Panasonic Dect phone not sure which model. Any ideas
what this could be?
Thanks in advance

Fred

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4500681f$0$1377$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When someone rings my new Vonage set up they get about 4 rings before my
> phone starts ringing. I have just transferred from Freetalk and am using
> the Motorola VT2442-VU. I have done a few test rings to my Vonage set up
> using another line and I can see that the router is telling my phone to
> ring as soon as I hear the ringing tone on the other line as one of the
> LED's starts flashing but it just takes 4 or so rings for my phone
> connected to the Vonage set up to actually start ringing. I have tried
> putting in an ADSL filter in between the VT2442 and my phone but this
> makes no difference. The phone I'm using is a Panasonic Dect phone not
> sure which model. Any ideas what this could be?
> Thanks in advance

Hi Phil
How do you find the call quality compared to Freetalk? I am with Freetalk
presently but not keen to switch over to Vonage as we had alot of call
quality issues with their service whereas Freetalk worked perfectly.
Thanks
Fred.

^^artnada^^

Fred wrote:
> "Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4500681f$0$1377$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When someone rings my new Vonage set up they get about 4 rings before my
>> phone starts ringing. I have just transferred from Freetalk and am using
>> the Motorola VT2442-VU. I have done a few test rings to my Vonage set up
>> using another line and I can see that the router is telling my phone to
>> ring as soon as I hear the ringing tone on the other line as one of the
>> LED's starts flashing but it just takes 4 or so rings for my phone
>> connected to the Vonage set up to actually start ringing. I have tried
>> putting in an ADSL filter in between the VT2442 and my phone but this
>> makes no difference. The phone I'm using is a Panasonic Dect phone not
>> sure which model. Any ideas what this could be?
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> Hi Phil
> How do you find the call quality compared to Freetalk? I am with Freetalk
> presently but not keen to switch over to Vonage as we had alot of call
> quality issues with their service whereas Freetalk worked perfectly.
> Thanks
> Fred.

Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND Vonage, (as I am
mid-way through transfering from FT to Vo), and the quality on Vonage is
very good. Very clear, no crackling, delays etc.

I'm impressed.

Ivor Jones

"^^artnada^^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7TaMg.15666$(E-Mail Removed). uk
> Fred wrote:

[snip]

> > Hi Phil
> > How do you find the call quality compared to Freetalk?
> > I am with Freetalk presently but not keen to switch
> > over to Vonage as we had alot of call quality issues
> > with their service whereas Freetalk worked perfectly.
> > Thanks Fred.

> Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND
> Vonage, (as I am mid-way through transfering from FT to
> Vo), and the quality on Vonage is very good. Very clear,
> no crackling, delays etc.

So it should be for the price they charge. For what it's worth, I get
excellent call quality on Sipgate for free, but I suppose I mustn't say
that. Too bad.

Ivor

^^artnada^^

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "^^artnada^^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7TaMg.15666$(E-Mail Removed). uk
>> Fred wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>> Hi Phil
>>> How do you find the call quality compared to Freetalk?
>>> I am with Freetalk presently but not keen to switch
>>> over to Vonage as we had alot of call quality issues
>>> with their service whereas Freetalk worked perfectly.
>>> Thanks Fred.

>> Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND
>> Vonage, (as I am mid-way through transfering from FT to
>> Vo), and the quality on Vonage is very good. Very clear,
>> no crackling, delays etc.

> So it should be for the price they charge. For what it's worth, I get
> excellent call quality on Sipgate for free, but I suppose I mustn't say
> that. Too bad.
>
> Ivor

Why sound so negative Ivor? No one here is mocking "free" providers. Fred
asked a simple question and I answered him, then you come along with your
"negative sounding vibes"?

Calm down dear. It's only a thread.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:35:11 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"^^artnada^^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:7TaMg.15666$(E-Mail Removed) .uk
>> Fred wrote:

>[snip]
>
>> > Hi Phil
>> > How do you find the call quality compared to Freetalk?
>> > I am with Freetalk presently but not keen to switch
>> > over to Vonage as we had alot of call quality issues
>> > with their service whereas Freetalk worked perfectly.
>> > Thanks Fred.

>> Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND
>> Vonage, (as I am mid-way through transfering from FT to
>> Vo), and the quality on Vonage is very good. Very clear,
>> no crackling, delays etc.

>So it should be for the price they charge. For what it's worth, I get
>excellent call quality on Sipgate for free, but I suppose I mustn't say
>that. Too bad.
>
>Ivor

So sipgate have started giving free calls to the UK and all of Irland
have they Ivor In anycase I am not so stingy that I mind paying
around 26p a day for a damn good service in every way with access to
tecnical support in real time 24/7 not by poxy email during working
hours . There arn't any pockets in shrouds Ivor in case you didn't
know .

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:10:28 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ivor Jones wrote:
>> "^^artnada^^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:7TaMg.15666$(E-Mail Removed). uk
>>> Fred wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND
>>> Vonage, (as I am mid-way through transfering from FT to
>>> Vo), and the quality on Vonage is very good. Very clear,
>>> no crackling, delays etc.

>> So it should be for the price they charge. For what it's worth, I get
>> excellent call quality on Sipgate for free, but I suppose I mustn't say
>> that. Too bad.
>>
>> Ivor

>Why sound so negative Ivor? No one here is mocking "free" providers. Fred
>asked a simple question and I answered him, then you come along with your
>"negative sounding vibes"?
>
>Calm down dear. It's only a thread.

If something isn't free Ivor doesn't want to know by the sounds of
things .

Ivor Jones

"^^artnada^^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsReMg.15795$(E-Mail Removed). uk
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> > "^^artnada^^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > message
> > news:7TaMg.15666$(E-Mail Removed). uk
> > > Fred wrote:

> > [snip]

> > > Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND
> > > Vonage, (as I am mid-way through transfering from FT
> > > to Vo), and the quality on Vonage is very good. Very
> > > clear, no crackling, delays etc.

> > So it should be for the price they charge. For what
> > it's worth, I get excellent call quality on Sipgate for
> > free, but I suppose I mustn't say that. Too bad.
> >
> > Ivor

> Why sound so negative Ivor? No one here is mocking "free"
> providers.

You haven't been reading Dex's posts then, have you..!

> Fred asked a simple question and I answered
> him, then you come along with your "negative sounding
> vibes"?

I didn't understand a word of that..!

> Calm down dear. It's only a thread.

The trouble with threads is they unravel.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> If something isn't free Ivor doesn't want to know by the
> sounds of things .

Not at all. I just don't see the point of paying for something when I
*can* get it free.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> So sipgate have started giving free calls to the UK and
> all of Irland have they Ivor In anycase I am not so
> stingy that I mind paying around 26p a day for a damn
> good service in every way with access to tecnical support
> in real time 24/7 not by poxy email during working hours
> . There arn't any pockets in shrouds Ivor in case you
> didn't know .

They're not free if you've got to pay 26p a day for them, are they..?!

Look up "free" in a dictionary.

I bet I pay less per month for my phone service than you do, even allowing
for the fact that I pay for some of the calls I make. Most of my calls are
to other Sipgate users, so they *are* free.

Ivor