Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Vonage, Takes Ages Before My Phone Rings

Vonage, Takes Ages Before My Phone Rings

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:14:47 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>[snip]
>
>> If something isn't free Ivor doesn't want to know by the
>> sounds of things .

>Not at all. I just don't see the point of paying for something when I
>*can* get it free.
>
>Ivor

Ah so you can make calls to any 01 and 02 numbers for free from
sipgate can you ? I can with Vonage and could also with FT when they
where around . Pity really that it wasn't sipgate that went down the
pan .

Al

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:35:11 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

>So it should be for the price they charge. For what it's worth, I get
>excellent call quality on Sipgate for free, but I suppose I mustn't say
>that. Too bad.

Since when have Sipgate been offering free outgoing calls?

Jono

Al submitted this idea :
> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:35:11 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
>
>> So it should be for the price they charge. For what it's worth, I get
>> excellent call quality on Sipgate for free, but I suppose I mustn't say
>> that. Too bad.

> Since when have Sipgate been offering free outgoing calls?

....since forever, unless you mean to the PSTN....? Most of Ivor's calls
are to other Sipgate users. His free calls to other users are of
excellent quality. As will his calls to non-free PSTN numbers, I should
imagine (as are mine)

Fred

"^^artnada^^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7TaMg.15666$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Fred wrote:
>> "Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4500681f$0$1377$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> When someone rings my new Vonage set up they get about 4 rings before my
>>> phone starts ringing. I have just transferred from Freetalk and am using
>>> the Motorola VT2442-VU. I have done a few test rings to my Vonage set up
>>> using another line and I can see that the router is telling my phone to
>>> ring as soon as I hear the ringing tone on the other line as one of the
>>> LED's starts flashing but it just takes 4 or so rings for my phone
>>> connected to the Vonage set up to actually start ringing. I have tried
>>> putting in an ADSL filter in between the VT2442 and my phone but this
>>> makes no difference. The phone I'm using is a Panasonic Dect phone not
>>> sure which model. Any ideas what this could be?
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>

>> Hi Phil
>> How do you find the call quality compared to Freetalk? I am with Freetalk
>> presently but not keen to switch over to Vonage as we had alot of call
>> quality issues with their service whereas Freetalk worked perfectly.
>> Thanks
>> Fred.

> Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND Vonage, (as I am
> mid-way through transfering from FT to Vo), and the quality on Vonage is
> very good. Very clear, no crackling, delays etc.
>
> I'm impressed.

Hi Phil
Thanks for replying. Can I ask a further question? How long have you had the
Vonage service running for and have the parties you are calling commented on
the call quality at all? The reason I ask is that when I had Vonage 9/10 I
could hear the othe rparty very clearly. It was the other party who
complained of cracks/pops/delays/echoes. If you would be interested in
making a test call with me then that would be excellent too. My real email
address is fglaser85*nospam*@hotmail.com. Remove nospam obviously to email
me.
Thanks
Fred.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:16:49 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>They're not free if you've got to pay 26p a day for them, are they..?!

I do not pay a single penny for my calls all my calls are to other FT
now Vonage customers all I pay for is the service and even if I call
other 01 and 02 numbers they are still free with Vonage 24/7 as are
calls to Vonage temselves 24/7 and can speak with a real live person
not some goon hiding behind an email address .
It is a very poor company that won't allow its customers to call them
by telephone or provide telephone support .

Al

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:50:30 +0100, Jono wrote:

>Al submitted this idea :

>> Since when have Sipgate been offering free outgoing calls?

>...since forever, unless you mean to the PSTN....? Most of Ivor's calls
>are to other Sipgate users.

Then Ivor lives in a different planet from mine. My calls are almost
exclusively to numbers starting 01 or 02. I don't need to know the
name of their supplier, I just know them as normal UK advertised
telephone numbers.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 23:07:37 +0100, Al <.@_.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:50:30 +0100, Jono wrote:
>
>>Al submitted this idea :

>>> Since when have Sipgate been offering free outgoing calls?

>>...since forever, unless you mean to the PSTN....? Most of Ivor's calls
>>are to other Sipgate users.

>Then Ivor lives in a different planet from mine. My calls are almost
>exclusively to numbers starting 01 or 02. I don't need to know the
>name of their supplier, I just know them as normal UK advertised
>telephone numbers.

But you see Ivor probably is only calling people he has cajoled into
signing up with Sipgate with his once forever trying to make out that
Sipgate was the best thing since sliced bread every other provider
was/is rubbish compared with his glorious sipgate .
You know I am almost certain he is getting a back hander from Sipgate
even when they once closed the service down for over 48 hrs he had
nothing but praise for the damned company .

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> Ah so you can make calls to any 01 and 02 numbers for
> free from sipgate can you ? I can with Vonage and could
> also with FT when they where around . Pity really that it
> wasn't sipgate that went down the pan .

No, but neither can you. You have to pay x per month.

As I told you before, the majority of my calls are to other Sipgate users,
which *are* free, without paying anything per month for the privilege. The
odd few calls I make to ordinary numbers cost me maybe 30p per month if
that. I put 20 on my first Sipgate number which I got in September 2004
just after they first started, I still have over 12.50 on that account.

How much are you paying for your "free" calls again..?

Ivor

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)
> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:16:49 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > They're not free if you've got to pay 26p a day for
> > them, are they..?!

> I do not pay a single penny for my calls all my calls are
> to other FT now Vonage customers all I pay for is the
> service and even if I call other 01 and 02 numbers they
> are still free with Vonage 24/7

No they're not, they're inclusive. If you didn't pay the monthly charge,
you'd be cut off. You're like those people who think they're getting
"free" calls on their mobiles, they're not getting any such thing, they're
getting *inclusive* minutes as part of the contract.

> as are calls to Vonage
> temselves 24/7 and can speak with a real live person not
> some goon hiding behind an email address .

Says a man who is doing precisely that. Why don't you post with your real
name, Ron..?

> It is a very poor company that won't allow its customers
> to call them by telephone or provide telephone support .

Not in the opinion of the *majority* of Sipgate customers. You're not even
a customer, so you have no say in the matter whatsoever.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

"Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:35:11 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
>
> > So it should be for the price they charge. For what
> > it's worth, I get excellent call quality on Sipgate for
> > free, but I suppose I mustn't say that. Too bad.

> Since when have Sipgate been offering free outgoing calls?

Define free. Calls to other Sipgate users and those other networks with
peering agreements are free. As probably 95% of my calls come under this
heading, I'd say that I'm getting a good deal.

Ivor