Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > No "Cached" results from Google

No "Cached" results from Google

Jim Blue

When I use Google from Firefox 1.5.0.6, I don't get the
"Cached-Similar Results" line at the end of each entry. I used
to get that in some previous version of Firefox, and I still get
it when I use Google from IE. Do I need to change something in
the config file?

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Jim Blue wrote:
> When I use Google from Firefox 1.5.0.6, I don't get the "Cached-Similar
> Results" line at the end of each entry. I used to get that in some
> previous version of Firefox, and I still get it when I use Google from
> IE. Do I need to change something in the config file?

You dont get it?
What theme are you using? Are you seeing spaces where that line would go?
What are your font settings?

Jim Blue

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Jim Blue wrote:
>> When I use Google from Firefox 1.5.0.6, I don't get the
>> "Cached-Similar Results" line at the end of each entry. I used to get
>> that in some previous version of Firefox, and I still get it when I
>> use Google from IE. Do I need to change something in the config file?

> You dont get it?
> What theme are you using? Are you seeing spaces where that line would go?
> What are your font settings?

Firefox (default) 2.0 theme.
Default font Times New Roman 16pts
Proportional : Serif 16
Serif Times New Roman
Sans-serif: BakerSignet BT (same result with Arial)
Monospace Courier 115
Display resolution 96 dpi
Minimum font size: none

There is nothing after the URL where the "Cached - Similar
Pages" should be.
I just noticed that not even the page size, e.g. " - 10k - ", is
there after the URL.

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Jim Blue wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Jim Blue wrote:
>>> When I use Google from Firefox 1.5.0.6, I don't get the
>>> "Cached-Similar Results" line at the end of each entry. I used to get
>>> that in some previous version of Firefox, and I still get it when I
>>> use Google from IE. Do I need to change something in the config file?

>> You dont get it?
>> What theme are you using? Are you seeing spaces where that line would go?
>> What are your font settings?

> Firefox (default) 2.0 theme.
> Default font Times New Roman 16pts
> Proportional : Serif 16
> Serif Times New Roman
> Sans-serif: BakerSignet BT (same result with Arial)
> Monospace Courier 115
> Display resolution 96 dpi
> Minimum font size: none
>
> There is nothing after the URL where the "Cached - Similar Pages" should
> be.
> I just noticed that not even the page size, e.g. " - 10k - ", is there
> after the URL.

Well golly gee, if you are going to use bleeding edge products you
should EXPECT a few cuts now and then <g>

Firefox 2.0 is an ALPHA product, its not a release version, its not even
a BETA version. Its for testing purposes only. If you want to contribute
to testing then use the alpha/beta test reporting for such issues as yours.

I dont know if your problem is a known problem with the alpha, or if the
developers are aware and have fixed it for the next release already. But
you should see such on the testing forums and groups. This isnt one of em.

Whats an ALPHA version? Its something most users never see when speaking
of commericial products. Alpha versions are usually restricted to 'in
house' testing only. Alpha version WILL have bugs, and lots of them,
thats a FACT. Most commericial applications dont even widely release
Beta versions.
Mozilla is different, because its open source. Open source means the
developers/contributors are YOU - fellow users like you out here on the
internet. So for open source to work, ALL versions are available. From
the release versions down to daily test versions, to alphas, betas and
release candidates. They are all there, available to anyone, because
that anyone MIGHT be the next contributor.

For uses, I suggest staying with the release versions 1.5.0.6 is the latest

Jim Blue

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Jim Blue wrote:
>> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>>

>>> You dont get it?
>>> What theme are you using? Are you seeing spaces where that line would
>>> go?
>>> What are your font settings?

>> Firefox (default) 2.0 theme.
>> Default font Times New Roman 16pts
>> Proportional : Serif 16
>> Serif Times New Roman
>> Sans-serif: BakerSignet BT (same result with Arial)
>> Monospace Courier 115
>> Display resolution 96 dpi
>> Minimum font size: none
>>
>> There is nothing after the URL where the "Cached - Similar Pages"
>> should be.
>> I just noticed that not even the page size, e.g. " - 10k - ", is there
>> after the URL.

(snip)

> Well golly gee, if you are going to use bleeding edge products you
> should EXPECT a few cuts now and then <g>
> For uses, I suggest staying with the release versions 1.5.0.6 is the
> latest

Good joke. I am using 1.5.0.6; it's the theme that's version 2.0.
Same results with the themes Classic Winstripe 1.5.1 and Breeze
1.5.3

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Jim Blue wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Jim Blue wrote:

>>> Firefox (default) 2.0 theme.
>>> Default font Times New Roman 16pts
>>> Proportional : Serif 16
>>> Serif Times New Roman
>>> Sans-serif: BakerSignet BT (same result with Arial)
>>> Monospace Courier 115
>>> Display resolution 96 dpi
>>> Minimum font size: none
>>>
>>> There is nothing after the URL where the "Cached - Similar Pages"
>>> should be.
>>> I just noticed that not even the page size, e.g. " - 10k - ", is
>>> there after the URL.

> (snip)
>>
>> Well golly gee, if you are going to use bleeding edge products you
>> should EXPECT a few cuts now and then <g>
>> For uses, I suggest staying with the release versions 1.5.0.6 is the
>> latest

> Good joke. I am using 1.5.0.6; it's the theme that's version 2.0.
> Same results with the themes Classic Winstripe 1.5.1 and Breeze 1.5.3

Try a new profile, do you get the problem there?

Ralph Fox

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:21:12 -0400, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jim Blue wrote:

> When I use Google from Firefox 1.5.0.6, I don't get the
> "Cached-Similar Results" line at the end of each entry. I used
> to get that in some previous version of Firefox, and I still get
> it when I use Google from IE. Do I need to change something in
> the config file?

I see "Cached" in Google searches using Firefox 1.5.0.6.

A. Some sites don't allow Google to cache their pages.
Maybe you have been searching for the kind of stuff
hosted by such sites.
http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35306

B. Maybe some prankster has added a line like this to
your userContent.css file

.fl { display: none !important ; }

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Jim Blue

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Try a new profile, do you get the problem there?

Good idea. With a new profile, it all works well. Now what?

(I do not have a userContent.css file, as suggested by Ralph Fox.)

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Jim Blue wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Try a new profile, do you get the problem there?

> Good idea. With a new profile, it all works well. Now what?
>
> (I do not have a userContent.css file, as suggested by Ralph Fox.)

Now what what? You snipped so much of the original content I dont even
know what the problem was or what you want.

The problem is familiar to you but not to others (after all it is YOUR
problem). Personally I dont have the time to re-read each and every
thread in the dozens of newsgroups I participate in, perhaps you do.

Would you care to restate what the problem was, and what you want?

Jim Blue

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Jim Blue wrote:
>> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Try a new profile, do you get the problem there?

With a new profile, all works correctly. What in my old profile
could be causing
this problem?