Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unable to create an ad hoc network

Unable to create an ad hoc network

=?Utf-8?B?Zmx5ZXI1OTA=?=

I have a desktop computer using a wired connection to an ADSL router for the
Internet. I purchased an 802.11g USB adapter for this computer to be able to
share the Internet connection with my new Dell laptop, which uses an Intel
3945ABG adapter.

I have had this ad hoc network working only twice, and I haven't been able
to get it to work again even though I am using the same settings as before. I
have the laptop sitting quite close to the desktop, so I know that range is
not the problem. I have also experimented with disabling all firewalls and
WEP/WPA security, but this makes no difference.

Sometimes it even connects to the network, but it never gets given an IP
address and so ends up with a 169.*.*.* address.

Any help in finding the source of the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Regular Infrastructure Wireless network is far more superior to Ad-Hoc.
Wireless Router (working as Access Point) can be found on sale for $15-$30.
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
In any case, the principle of Ad-Hoc connection can be found in this page,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...