Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Multihomed ISR

Multihomed ISR

amattina@layer8group.com

I am trying to get a device that will be multihomed for failover
purposes. Lets assume the physical link goes down...this needs to be
able to failover to the secondary uplink. Both uplinks are live at all
times. Should look like this:

LAN

############
# ISR Router #
############
/ \
/ \
0000000000 0000000000
0000 000 0000 0000
000 ISP A 000 000 ISP B 000
0000 0000 0000 0000
0000000000 0000000000

What cisco functionality achieves this? I know there is something as I
just read over it in a CCDA book this morning.

Thanks,
Adam

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Adam,

You may wish to investigate the article authored by Dr. Vincent C.
Jones:

Multi-Homing--Connecting to Two ISPs

Understand how the availability benefits of multihoming can be achieved
at low cost using relatively simple techniques.

But your multihoming strategy must be carefully planned to ensure that
you actually improve the Internet availability seen by your company.

http://www.awprofessional.com/articl...5cc199d74&rl=1

Profile of Dr. Jones:

http://www.bradreese.com/vincent-c-jones.htm

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology
http://www.BradReese.Com
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO

James

There is a newish feature called Optimized Edge Routing which can be
used to load-balance ISP's without implementing BGP:-

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...er_c/index.htm

James

> I am trying to get a device that will be multihomed for failover
> purposes. Lets assume the physical link goes down...this needs to be
> able to failover to the secondary uplink. Both uplinks are live at all
> times. Should look like this:
>
> LAN
> |
> ############
> # ISR Router #
> ############
> / \
> / \
> 0000000000 0000000000
> 0000 000 0000 0000
> 000 ISP A 000 000 ISP B 000
> 0000 0000 0000 0000
> 0000000000 0000000000
>

> What cisco functionality achieves this? I know there is something as I
> just read over it in a CCDA book this morning.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

amattina@layer8group.com

James,