Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PPP multilink on Cisco877?

PPP multilink on Cisco877?

Al

I'm trying to configure ppp multlink on a Cisco 877. According to the
feature navigator on the Cisco website & the interactive help on the
router, it should be possible to enter the command:

router(config)#interface Multilink1

but it gets rejected as an unrecognized command.

Does anyone know if this is actually an available feature? I have spent
the last hour trawling through cisco.com & can't find anything that
answers it definitely either way. No bugs that seem relevant either.
It's Advanced Security IOS, 12.4(4)T1

Thanks in advance.

Doug McIntyre

"Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I'm trying to configure ppp multlink on a Cisco 877. According to the
>feature navigator on the Cisco website & the interactive help on the
>router, it should be possible to enter the command:

>router(config)#interface Multilink1

>but it gets rejected as an unrecognized command.

>Does anyone know if this is actually an available feature? I have spent
>the last hour trawling through cisco.com & can't find anything that
>answers it definitely either way. No bugs that seem relevant either.
>It's Advanced Security IOS, 12.4(4)T1

What would you multilink on a single-interface router?
Perhaps that is why they took it out? (I'm sure they have to cut out
quite a bit out of IOS on these little tiny routers).

It is a valid command on bigger routers.
I couldn't tell you on an 877.

www.BradReese.Com

You may wish to investigate:

DETAILED STEPS

Step 3

Command or Action

interface multilink multilink-bundle-number
Example:
Router(config)# interface multilink1

Purpose

Creates a multilink bundle or enters multilink interface configuration
mode.

The multilink-bundle-number argument is the number of the multilink
bundle (a nonzero number).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1000757

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology
http://www.BradReese.Com
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

www.BradReese.Com wrote:
> You may wish to investigate:
>
> DETAILED STEPS
>
> Step 3
>
> Command or Action
>
> interface multilink multilink-bundle-number
> Example:
> Router(config)# interface multilink1
>
> Purpose
>
> Creates a multilink bundle or enters multilink interface configuration
> mode.
>
> The multilink-bundle-number argument is the number of the multilink
> bundle (a nonzero number).
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1000757
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brad Reese

Sure enough - doesn't work on an 877.
c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-9.T.bin

I have previously used I think

int dialer 1
encap ppp
ppp mul

www.cisco.com/go/fn

Says that mlppp is in both advanced-security and
advanced-ip-services releases.

Here is an 837 that I had a quick look at.
I just typed the commands in, I DID NOT
get it working since I do not have an ISP
that supoprts MLPPP.

c837-k9o3sy6-mz.124-8.bin

interface Multilink1
description test
no ip address
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

interface Dialer2
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
ppp multilink
!

Very odd I say.

Al

> Sure enough - doesn't work on an 877.
> c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-9.T.bin
>
> I have previously used I think
>
> int dialer 1
> encap ppp
> ppp mul
>
> www.cisco.com/go/fn
>
> Says that mlppp is in both advanced-security and
> advanced-ip-services releases.
>
> Here is an 837 that I had a quick look at.
> I just typed the commands in, I DID NOT
> get it working since I do not have an ISP
> that supoprts MLPPP.
>
> c837-k9o3sy6-mz.124-8.bin
>
> interface Multilink1
> description test
> no ip address
> ppp multilink
> ppp multilink group 1
>
> interface Dialer2
> no ip address
> encapsulation ppp
> ppp multilink
> !
> Very odd I say.

Thanks for the replies, I have been looking into this & playing around
on a few test routers we have. It looks like it is an IOS 'feature'.
Although the feature navigator says it is in the Advanced Security
release, you can't configure a multilink interface. You can however go
so far in configuring a dialer interface for MPPP:

Router(config-if)#ppp multilink group 1
% Cannot put ddr interface in multilink-group

In the Advanced IP Services release, there is no problem in configuring
the multlilink interface, interleaving, etc.
We have decided to pay the extra & go for the Advanced IP Services
feature set for this requirement as a result.

As an aside, we also have one of the new Cisco SB107 routers in to test
& while that supports the multilink we need, it is more limited in some
of the QoS settings we would like to see (can't set dscp via policy- or
route-maps it seems)

BTW - we need to configure multilink for the interleaving, to run voice
over the link.

Thanks again.

James

> BTW - we need to configure multilink for the interleaving, to run voice
> over the link.

You could run Frame-Relay instead off PPP if the options are not
available on the router. We have over 90 VoIP sites on low speed
connections running perfect quality voice with FR.

James

multilink ppp only works with ppp multilink fragment disable (2 T-1s) Karnov Cisco 1 05-24-2004 02:37 AM
Multilink PPP Smash Cisco 10 01-13-2004 01:57 PM
many lost fragments on ppp-multilink connections Gerd Thuemmler Cisco 0 11-27-2003 07:54 AM
Re: ppp multilink on 2500/3600 Klaus Kruse Cisco 1 10-27-2003 08:00 PM
ppp multilink lost many fragments Gerd Thümmler Cisco 0 07-11-2003 08:05 AM

Advertisments