Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Difference between Apache Web Server and Tomcat Server

Difference between Apache Web Server and Tomcat Server

BIG BOY

Sir I am little bit confused about Apache Web Server and Apache Tomcat
Server. Please give me an link so that i can find it out.

Davide Consonni

BIG BOY wrote:

> Sir I am little bit confused about Apache Web Server and Apache Tomcat
> Server. Please give me an link so that i can find it out.

apache web server is a webserver.
tomcat is a servlet container.

--
Davide Consonni <(E-Mail Removed)> http://csvtosql.sourceforge.net
"L'uomo e' un animale che gioca, e il computer e' un altro mezzo per

Matt Rose

Davide Consonni wrote:
> BIG BOY wrote:
>
> > Sir I am little bit confused about Apache Web Server and Apache Tomcat
> > Server. Please give me an link so that i can find it out.

> apache web server is a webserver.
> tomcat is a servlet container.

Apache is what your browser connects to, tomcat is what apache connects
to to ask for servlets to be processed. However, tomcat now includes a
webserver so you can cut out the middle man. You might not want to do
this on a large production environment.

Matt

fabrulous@yahoo.fr

Davide Consonni wrote:
> BIG BOY wrote:
>
> > Sir I am little bit confused about Apache Web Server and Apache Tomcat
> > Server. Please give me an link so that i can find it out.

> apache web server is a webserver.
> tomcat is a servlet container.

nitpicking a bit... You make it sound like Tomcat cannot act as a web
server.

Tomcat can run either in stand-alone mode or "connected" to Apache.

In stand-alone mode, Tomcat can process servlets (and JSPs) and can
serve static content as well... And it does it *very* fast.

Tomcat is actually, for many uses, a very good web server.

Note that there are case where it is more appropriate to
use Apache + Tomcat just as there are case where it is
more appropriate to use Tomcat in stand-alone mode.

Davide Consonni

> In stand-alone mode, Tomcat can process servlets (and JSPs) and can
> serve static content as well... And it does it *very* fast.

ok, but apache httpd is faster than tomcat and has a better virtual host
management.
usually people but tomcat behind apache with a connector ..

--
Davide Consonni <(E-Mail Removed)> http://csvtosql.sourceforge.net
Un padre e' un banchiere fornito dalla natura.

Tom Cole

Davide Consonni wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > In stand-alone mode, Tomcat can process servlets (and JSPs) and can
> > serve static content as well... And it does it *very* fast.

Second that.

> ok, but apache httpd is faster than tomcat and has a better virtual host
> management.
> usually people but tomcat behind apache with a connector ..

Bet you can't find supporting data for that (usually people put tomcat
behind apache with a connector). My bet would be that most small to
mid-sized sites don't. I have situations with both (actually I have a
third scenario with IIS in front of Tomcat as well) and see no
significant difference in response times. Then again I'm only talking
about dealing out thousands of pages a day. I'm sure that in a
high-volume app that would be different.

I prefer the all Tomcat solution myself where it fits (which would be
most cases).

But to respond to the OP:

Apache is webserver only. Use it for HTML, SHTML, images, etc. With the
exception of SSI, this is static stuff. For dynamic stuff (like PHP,
Perl, Servlets, etc.) it needs help from other programs.

Tomcat is a servlet container. Use it for JSP, Servlets (and if you
want, all the stuff Apache does).

JBoss is an application server. Use it if your application uses
Enterprise JavaBeans.

Mark Space

BIG BOY wrote:
> Sir I am little bit confused about Apache Web Server and Apache Tomcat
> Server. Please give me an link so that i can find it out.

I'm just gonna repeat what others have said.

Apache = web server. I'm sure you know what that is.

Tomcat is like Perl. Perl runs Perl scripts through CGI for Apache.
Tomcat runs Java (servlets and JSP, but it's all Java) through CGI for
Apache. Actually, Tomcat has a more sophisticated connection to Apache
than CGI, but that's really just a detail of the implementation for this
discussion. Fix in your mind that Tomcat = Java CGI, and you've got the
basics.

As others have mentioned, Tomcat also can be a stand-alone HTTP server,
but it's not as robust or sophisticated as Apache. I'd only use Tomcat
alone for testing, or for small internal web sites. For real production
work, put Apache in front of Tomcat (just like you'd normally use Apache
to run in front of Perl or other CGI scripting) and you're ready for the
big leagues.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Tom Cole wrote:
> Davide Consonni wrote:
>> ok, but apache httpd is faster than tomcat and has a better virtual host
>> management.
>> usually people but tomcat behind apache with a connector ..

> Bet you can't find supporting data for that (usually people put tomcat
> behind apache with a connector). My bet would be that most small to
> mid-sized sites don't. I have situations with both (actually I have a
> third scenario with IIS in front of Tomcat as well) and see no
> significant difference in response times. Then again I'm only talking
> about dealing out thousands of pages a day. I'm sure that in a
> high-volume app that would be different.

I would expect huge files to be sligthly faster in
Apache or IIS than by Tomcat.

Else the only reason for a speedup would be the
use of HTTPS where Apache or IIS are using a hardware
SSL accelerator.

Arne

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

BIG BOY wrote:
> Sir I am little bit confused about Apache Web Server and Apache Tomcat
> Server. Please give me an link so that i can find it out.

As others already have said then:

Apache HTTPD = HTTP server
Apache Tomcat = servlet container

and you can run:

--(HTTP)--HTTPD
--(HTTP)--Tomcat
--(HTTP)--HTTPD--(AJP)--TOMCAT

at your choice.

You can lookup docs at the Apache web site.

The reasons for putting Apache in front of Tomcat
are typical:
- loadbalancing
- need for non Java stuff like PHP
- need for SSL hardware acceleration

Arne

David Segall

"Tom Cole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Tomcat is a ... and if you want, all the stuff Apache does.

Is that really true? Can I use Tomcat as a front end for PHP, Perl
etc? Does it have similar facilities for limiting access?