Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > What is this???

What is this???

Barney

I had wireless running on my pc last year and then disconnected it. After
installing it again I have found that SSID is BTHomeHUB-4A1F and the MAC
address does not correspond with the address on the DI-524 Router. Can
anyone enlighten me as to what this *BTHomeHUB-4A1F* is and why I can't get
connected on the wireless connection.I have tried the wizard
http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html and the MAC address
is different there also.
Thank you for any help no matter how little.

Doug Sherman [MVP]

BTHomeHUB-# is the default SSID for various BT wireless devices -eg:

http://www.bt.com/homenetworking/ind...roducts/hn_hn1
200&com.bea.event.type=linkclick&oLName=link.searc hresults&oLDesc=KB_503

It sounds like you are getting a signal from someone else's network.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"Barney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ghzLg.5296$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had wireless running on my pc last year and then disconnected it. After
> installing it again I have found that SSID is BTHomeHUB-4A1F and the MAC
> address does not correspond with the address on the DI-524 Router. Can
> anyone enlighten me as to what this *BTHomeHUB-4A1F* is and why I can't

get
> connected on the wireless connection.I have tried the wizard
> http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html and the MAC address
> is different there also.
> Thank you for any help no matter how little.

Barney

Thank you for the reply Doug. So what do I do now as I can't get my own
wireless network running because of this. BT Hub. Is there anyway I can
block it with my firewall?
"Doug Sherman [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> BTHomeHUB-# is the default SSID for various BT wireless devices -eg:
>
> http://www.bt.com/homenetworking/ind...roducts/hn_hn1
> 200&com.bea.event.type=linkclick&oLName=link.searc hresults&oLDesc=KB_503
>
> It sounds like you are getting a signal from someone else's network.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "Barney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ghzLg.5296$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I had wireless running on my pc last year and then disconnected it. After
>> installing it again I have found that SSID is BTHomeHUB-4A1F and the MAC
>> address does not correspond with the address on the DI-524 Router. Can
>> anyone enlighten me as to what this *BTHomeHUB-4A1F* is and why I can't

> get
>> connected on the wireless connection.I have tried the wizard
>> http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html and the MAC
>> address
>> is different there also.
>> Thank you for any help no matter how little.

Lem

Barney wrote:
> Thank you for the reply Doug. So what do I do now as I can't get my own
> wireless network running because of this. BT Hub. Is there anyway I can
> block it with my firewall?
> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> BTHomeHUB-# is the default SSID for various BT wireless devices -eg:
>>
>> http://www.bt.com/homenetworking/ind...roducts/hn_hn1
>> 200&com.bea.event.type=linkclick&oLName=link.searc hresults&oLDesc=KB_503
>>
>> It sounds like you are getting a signal from someone else's network.
>>
>> Doug Sherman
>> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>>
>> "Barney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ghzLg.5296$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I had wireless running on my pc last year and then disconnected it. After
>>> installing it again I have found that SSID is BTHomeHUB-4A1F and the MAC
>>> address does not correspond with the address on the DI-524 Router. Can
>>> anyone enlighten me as to what this *BTHomeHUB-4A1F* is and why I can't

>> get
>>> connected on the wireless connection.I have tried the wizard
>>> http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html and the MAC
>>> address
>>> is different there also.
>>> Thank you for any help no matter how little.

You don't have to "block it." Just don't connect to it. Connect to the
network designated by the SSID you assigned when you configured the DI-524.

If you need a better response, please provide some more information.
For starters:
What did you disconnect?
What did you install again?
Why are you concerned with MAC addresses?
How are you connected to the Internet?
What are you using on your PC as a wireless adapter?
Do you know the encryption key for your wireless security (or is
encryption disabled)?

Barney

> You don't have to "block it." Just don't connect to it. Connect to the
> network designated by the SSID you assigned when you configured the
> DI-524.
>
> If you need a better response, please provide some more information. For
> starters:

> What did you disconnect?

I formatted the drive and didn't reconnect to the wireless

> What did you install again?

The driver for the Router(AirPlusG DI-524) & driver for Wireless PCI Adapter
DWL-G510.

> Why are you concerned with MAC addresses?

I was under the impression that the MAC code was an essential part of the
connection.

> How are you connected to the Internet?

Cable

> What are you using on your PC as a wireless adapter?

PCI Adapter DWL-G510

> Do you know the encryption key for your wireless security (or is
> encryption disabled)?

When I went through the wizard
http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html as far as I could see
the encryption is disabled. I can only get to the wizard through the link
and not through my router, I can't reach 198.162.0.1. The same goes for the
laptop.

Lem

Barney wrote:
>> You don't have to "block it." Just don't connect to it. Connect to the
>> network designated by the SSID you assigned when you configured the
>> DI-524.
>>
>> If you need a better response, please provide some more information. For
>> starters:

>> What did you disconnect?

> I formatted the drive and didn't reconnect to the wireless
>
>> What did you install again?

> The driver for the Router(AirPlusG DI-524) & driver for Wireless PCI Adapter
> DWL-G510.
>
>> Why are you concerned with MAC addresses?

> I was under the impression that the MAC code was an essential part of the
> connection.
>
>> How are you connected to the Internet?

> Cable
>
>> What are you using on your PC as a wireless adapter?

> PCI Adapter DWL-G510
>
>> Do you know the encryption key for your wireless security (or is
>> encryption disabled)?

> When I went through the wizard
> http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html as far as I could see
> the encryption is disabled. I can only get to the wizard through the link
> and not through my router, I can't reach 198.162.0.1. The same goes for the
> laptop.

OK.

First of all, there is no driver for the router itself, so I'm not sure
what you installed other than the driver for the DWL-G510, but it
probably doesn't matter.

Second, I'm sorry. My last question wasn't as clear as it should have
been. I understand that you can't make a successful wireless
connection, but can you access the Internet through a wired connection
to the router? In other words, is your PC still directly connected to
your cable modem or did you connect the cable modem to the WAN port of
the DI-524 and then connect your PC to one of the LAN ports? You should
be connected to the router with an Ethernet cable before you attempt to
configure it.

Third, if you actually went through the setup wizard by entering
http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html in a web browser,
you did not in fact do anything to set up your router. That is an
emulator -- a demonstration to show how the Install Wizard works. In
order to actually configure the router you must log in to the router itself.

Fourth, the default IP address for accessing the router is 192.168.0.1.
In your last post, you wrote "I can't reach 198.162.0.1." If that's
just a typo and you tried the correct IP address and had no success, you
may have to reset the router to its factory default.

There are too many divergent paths from this point for me to continue
without a bit more info from you. If you have mislaid the manuals for
the DI-524, you might want to download them and take a look. The Quick
Install Guide is here
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/QIG/di524_QIG_100.zip and the full
manual is here
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/Ma...l_06292005.zip

A few more things. Assuming that the DWL-G510 is working correctly, was
BTHomeHUB-4A1F the only network that showed up in the list of available
networks to connect to? Was there any other network name showing that
you can recall setting up when you had this system working a year ago?
You didn't get the DI-524 from British Telecom, did you?

Barney

"Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:esN5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First of all, there is no driver for the router itself, so I'm not sure
> what you installed other than the driver for the DWL-G510, but it probably
> doesn't matter.

My mistake Lem, It was the manual I was looking referring to on the disc.

> Second, I'm sorry. My last question wasn't as clear as it should have
> been. I understand that you can't make a successful wireless connection,
> but can you access the Internet through a wired connection to the router?
> In other words, is your PC still directly connected to your cable modem or
> did you connect the cable modem to the WAN port of the DI-524 and then
> connect your PC to one of the LAN ports? You should be connected to the
> router with an Ethernet cable before you attempt to configure it.

The cable modem is connected to the router (WAN) and the PC is connected to
LAN port 1.

> Third, if you actually went through the setup wizard by entering
> http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html in a web browser,
> you did not in fact do anything to set up your router. That is an
> emulator -- a demonstration to show how the Install Wizard works.

I realize that now as I went to that site last night and everything was the
same but without the SSID.

>In order to actually configure the router you must log in to the router
>itself.

I tried to log in to the router with 192.168.0.1 but couldn't get the
connection.

> Fourth, the default IP address for accessing the router is 192.168.0.1. In
> your last post, you wrote "I can't reach 198.162.0.1." If that's just a
> typo

Sorry it's a typo.

and you tried the correct IP address and had no success, you
> may have to reset the router to its factory default

I tried to reset the router by way of the reset at the back, Still no joy
..

> There are too many divergent paths from this point for me to continue
> without a bit more info from you. If you have mislaid the manuals for the
> DI-524, you might want to download them and take a look. The Quick
> Install Guide is here
> ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/QIG/di524_QIG_100.zip and the full
> manual is here
> ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/Ma...l_06292005.zip
>
> A few more things. Assuming that the DWL-G510 is working correctly, was
> BTHomeHUB-4A1F the only network that showed up in the list of available
> networks to connect to? Yes that was the only one showing

Was there any other network name showing that

> you can recall setting up when you had this system working a year ago?

I went through the same procedure this time as the last time. This time I'm
getting nothing .

> You didn't get the DI-524 from British Telecom, did you?

No
Thanks for your time Lem

Lem

Barney wrote:
> [...]

>> without a bit more info from you. If you have mislaid the manuals for the
>> DI-524, you might want to download them and take a look. The Quick
>> Install Guide is here
>> ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/QIG/di524_QIG_100.zip and the full
>> manual is here
>> ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/Ma...l_06292005.zip
>>
>> A few more things. Assuming that the DWL-G510 is working correctly, was
>> BTHomeHUB-4A1F the only network that showed up in the list of available
>> networks to connect to? Yes that was the only one showing

> Was there any other network name showing that
>
>> you can recall setting up when you had this system working a year ago?

> I went through the same procedure this time as the last time. This time I'm
> getting nothing .
>
>> You didn't get the DI-524 from British Telecom, did you?

Open a command prompt window on the PC connected to the router's LAN
port. Type
ipconfig /all [enter]

This will show information about both of the network adapters installed
in the PC, the DWL-G510 wireless adapter and your Ethernet Local Area
Connection. It's the latter that your interested in at this point. It
should look something like this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-D2-77-F2
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Omitting the "Description" and the "Physical Address" (which is another
name for MAC address), tell me how your results differ from the above.

Barney

>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> Thanks for your time Lem

> Open a command prompt window on the PC connected to the router's LAN port.
> Type
> ipconfig /all [enter]
>
> This will show information about both of the network adapters installed in
> the PC, the DWL-G510 wireless adapter and your Ethernet Local Area
> Connection. It's the latter that your interested in at this point. It
> should look something like this:
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
> Connection
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-D2-77-F2
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
>
> Omitting the "Description" and the "Physical Address" (which is another
> name for MAC address), tell me how your results differ from the above.
>Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-06ivbxpjsj
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-30-65-1A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 September 2006 09:56:10
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 September 2006 09:56:10

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510
Wireless P
CI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-3D-09-DF-99

It states Media disconnected but on the router the power,status,WAN,WLAN &
1lights are on and the status light is flashing as normal. I was wondering
if you received the mail to your Hotmail box.

Lem

Barney wrote:
>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>> Thanks for your time Lem

>> Open a command prompt window on the PC connected to the router's LAN port.
>> Type
>> ipconfig /all [enter]
>>
>> This will show information about both of the network adapters installed in
>> the PC, the DWL-G510 wireless adapter and your Ethernet Local Area
>> Connection. It's the latter that your interested in at this point. It
>> should look something like this:
>>
>> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>>
>> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
>> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
>> Connection
>> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-D2-77-F2
>> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
>> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
>> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
>> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
>>
>> Omitting the "Description" and the "Physical Address" (which is another
>> name for MAC address), tell me how your results differ from the above.
>> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-06ivbxpjsj
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
> Eth
> ernet NIC
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-30-65-1A
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 September 2006 09:56:10
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 September 2006 09:56:10
>
> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
>
> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510
> Wireless P
> CI Card
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-3D-09-DF-99
>
> It states Media disconnected but on the router the power,status,WAN,WLAN &
> 1lights are on and the status light is flashing as normal. I was wondering
> if you received the mail to your Hotmail box.

Well, the IP address of your router appears to have somehow been changed
to 192.168.0.102. This is quite odd, because that's an address that
typically would be assigned by the router's DHCP server to a PC that
connects to it. Having the router's own IP set to that number would
almost certainly cause conflicts if you had 3 or more PCs connected.

Also, why it wasn't reset to the default when you pushed the reset
button I have not the foggiest idea. I almost would suggest holding the
reset button pressed for, say, 30 seconds (the manual says to hold it
for 10 seconds), and see if in fact the IP address gets reset to
192.168.0.1. If it does reset, the upside is that you will be starting
from a known configuration, without any other peculiar settings that may
be lurking and waiting to bite you (like no SSID broadcast); the
downside is that you will have to reconfigure the interface between the
router and your cable box, or you won't be able to surf the Internet
with the router connected as it is now. Your choice.

If you elect not to reset, open a browser and enter 192.168.0.102 in the
address bar. You should see your router's configuration utility. The
login name is admin (lowercase). The default password is blank.
Hopefully, you either didn't change it or remember what you changed it
to. If you get this far but can't get past the password, your only
option is to try to reset the router. [You can try using the login name
user. This is supposed to allow read-only access to the configuration
utility. This might help -- but not if you've set any encryption,
because the encryption key will be concealed.]

If you successfully log in to the router, you can than run the
configuration wizard and hopefully get your wireless connection working.
If 192.168.0.102 doesn't work, and if holding the router's reset
button for an extended time doesn't reset to 192.168.0.1, I'm out of
ideas. A long, firm call to D-Link tech support is in order.

"Media disconnected" means that you don't have an active wireless link
between your DWL-G510 and the router -- but you already knew that.

The WLAN light on the router just means that its radio is turned on and
broadcasting. If you only see your neighbor's SSID as an option to
connect to, that suggests that SSID broadcast was somehow turned off.
Again, this should have been reset by the reset button.

I don't regularly check the Hotmail address. It's just there to soak up
the spam.

Good luck. I'm afraid you'll need it.