Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Page hang after updating web.config

Page hang after updating web.config

Joey

Hi,

I am using NFOP to generate PDF files from my web pages. The problem is that
when i change the web.config, the page that is using NFOP hangs.

I don't know if this is directly related to NFOP, however i would like to
know if i can make a workaround to solve this. Maybe by unloading the NFOP
assembly and reloading it?

Can anyone help in this, please?

Joey

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

NFOP is an open source library written in J#, if you need to generate PDF
files without using Crystal Reports or without forking out $$$ in a
commercial component its the tool you need.

Ideally yes, one should not change the web.config once the app is in
production. However, this is not always possible due to on going updates to
the app, as an example.

After updating the web.config, the only thing to do is to restart IIS in
order to make this assembly work , which is not very pleasant thing to do
on the live servers.

Therefore i was thinking of writing something to make the assembly reload as
a workaround, maybe it helps - i don't know.

I'm looking for someone who can give me a better idea to solve or workaround
this!

"Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have no idea what NFOP is, just be aware that changing the web.config
>file causes the application to restart. Don't do it when the application is
>running.
>
> --
> Eliyahu Goldin,
> Software Developer & Consultant
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>

> "Joey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using NFOP to generate PDF files from my web pages. The problem is
>> that when i change the web.config, the page that is using NFOP hangs.
>>
>> I don't know if this is directly related to NFOP, however i would like to
>> know if i can make a workaround to solve this. Maybe by unloading the
>> NFOP assembly and reloading it?
>>
>> Can anyone help in this, please?

Eliyahu Goldin

I have no idea what NFOP is, just be aware that changing the web.config file
causes the application to restart. Don't do it when the application is
running.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

"Joey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am using NFOP to generate PDF files from my web pages. The problem is
> that when i change the web.config, the page that is using NFOP hangs.
>
> I don't know if this is directly related to NFOP, however i would like to
> know if i can make a workaround to solve this. Maybe by unloading the NFOP
> assembly and reloading it?
>
> Can anyone help in this, please?

Joey

thanks for the lead! i'll try it out!

"Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can setup an application pool in the IIS and recycle it as needed. It
> won't affect other applications.
>
> --
> Eliyahu Goldin,
> Software Developer & Consultant
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>

> "Joey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for your reply.
>>
>> NFOP is an open source library written in J#, if you need to generate PDF
>> files without using Crystal Reports or without forking out $$$ in a
>> commercial component its the tool you need.
>>
>> Ideally yes, one should not change the web.config once the app is in
>> production. However, this is not always possible due to on going updates
>> to the app, as an example.
>>
>> After updating the web.config, the only thing to do is to restart IIS in
>> order to make this assembly work , which is not very pleasant thing to
>> do on the live servers.
>>
>> Therefore i was thinking of writing something to make the assembly reload
>> as a workaround, maybe it helps - i don't know.
>>
>> I'm looking for someone who can give me a better idea to solve or
>> workaround this!
>>
>> "Eliyahu Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have no idea what NFOP is, just be aware that changing the web.config
>>>file causes the application to restart. Don't do it when the application
>>>is running.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Eliyahu Goldin,
>>> Software Developer & Consultant
>>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
>>>

>>> "Joey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Joey

unfortunately this didn't solve it, i.e. i still need to restart IIS in
order to get it to work

i'm still open for ideas.