Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Signal Strength

Signal Strength

=?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=

We are Using a Sony Ericsson PCMCIA card(GC89) as a modem(WLAN) in vb.net
(tablet PC)application. One of the requirement is to show
connection(GPRS/GSM) strength in the application while syncronization of
data. Default software that got installed with the card "Wireless Manager"
also has this feature.

Is there any way that i can communicate with card or to some driver and find
out the signal strength?

Any help will be greatly appreciated?

S. Pidgorny

You can do that using AT commands to the modem:

AT+CSQ

- oututs signal strength _and_ quality (the two are different!). I think the
values are 0 to 31 (best). Search for "at+csq" for more details.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

"Ishtiaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are Using a Sony Ericsson PCMCIA card(GC89) as a modem(WLAN) in vb.net
> (tablet PC)application. One of the requirement is to show
> connection(GPRS/GSM) strength in the application while syncronization of
> data. Default software that got installed with the card "Wireless Manager"
> also has this feature.
>
> Is there any way that i can communicate with card or to some driver and
> find
> out the signal strength?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated?

=?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=

Thanks for quick reply.

How reliable is it? would it work for GPRS and Wireless? Can i program it in
..net/vc++?

Can i talk to modem using NDIS?

"S. Pidgorny <MVP>" wrote:

> You can do that using AT commands to the modem:
>
> AT+CSQ
>
> - oututs signal strength _and_ quality (the two are different!). I think the
> values are 0 to 31 (best). Search for "at+csq" for more details.
>
> --
> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
> -= F1 is the key =-
>

> "Ishtiaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We are Using a Sony Ericsson PCMCIA card(GC89) as a modem(WLAN) in vb.net
> > (tablet PC)application. One of the requirement is to show
> > connection(GPRS/GSM) strength in the application while syncronization of
> > data. Default software that got installed with the card "Wireless Manager"
> > also has this feature.
> >
> > Is there any way that i can communicate with card or to some driver and
> > find
> > out the signal strength?
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated?

S. Pidgorny

It is as reliable as the only information available from the modem. It's
text-based communication with com port you can program it using any
language, including Windows batch files (methinks). But you cannot use
NDIS - this is below on the OSI model.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

"Ishtiaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for quick reply.
>
> How reliable is it? would it work for GPRS and Wireless? Can i program it
> in
> .net/vc++?
>
> Can i talk to modem using NDIS?
>
> "S. Pidgorny <MVP>" wrote:
>
>> You can do that using AT commands to the modem:
>>
>> AT+CSQ
>>
>> - oututs signal strength _and_ quality (the two are different!). I think
>> the
>> values are 0 to 31 (best). Search for "at+csq" for more details.
>>
>> --
>> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
>> -= F1 is the key =-
>>

>> "Ishtiaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > We are Using a Sony Ericsson PCMCIA card(GC89) as a modem(WLAN) in
>> > vb.net
>> > (tablet PC)application. One of the requirement is to show
>> > connection(GPRS/GSM) strength in the application while syncronization
>> > of
>> > data. Default software that got installed with the card "Wireless
>> > Manager"
>> > also has this feature.
>> >
>> > Is there any way that i can communicate with card or to some driver and
>> > find
>> > out the signal strength?
>> >
>> > Any help will be greatly appreciated?

=?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=

If i am connected to modem and then try to issue signal command then its
returning status "error"

- Can i issue all AT commands once modem is already in use?

How windows getting this status in "Windows Zero Configuration" service? I
think it can retreive information from a device if its on iEEE 8.2.11
standard.. Would we be able to get signal strength, provider(GSM/GPRS)
information as well?

The easiest way could be if Sony is exposing API for that device, which we
are trying to get .. .

Any other way out instead of AT?

Thanks for all your help.

"S. Pidgorny <MVP>" wrote:

> It is as reliable as the only information available from the modem. It's
> text-based communication with com port you can program it using any
> language, including Windows batch files (methinks). But you cannot use
> NDIS - this is below on the OSI model.
>
> --
> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
> -= F1 is the key =-
>
> "Ishtiaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for quick reply.
> >
> > How reliable is it? would it work for GPRS and Wireless? Can i program it
> > in
> > .net/vc++?
> >
> > Can i talk to modem using NDIS?
> >
> > "S. Pidgorny <MVP>" wrote:
> >
> >> You can do that using AT commands to the modem:
> >>
> >> AT+CSQ
> >>
> >> - oututs signal strength _and_ quality (the two are different!). I think
> >> the
> >> values are 0 to 31 (best). Search for "at+csq" for more details.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
> >> -= F1 is the key =-
> >>

> >> "Ishtiaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

S. Pidgorny

I don't know how to use AT commands when modem session is connected.
Possibly you cannot.
WZC signal strength indication is different from GSM - as you rightly
pointed, the standards are different, so are Windows protocol stacks. As I
mentioned, the GSM/GPRS card is a serial port modem from Windows
perspective.
Using vendor's proprietary APIs is a ticket to trouble.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

"Ishtiaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If i am connected to modem and then try to issue signal command then its
> returning status "error"
>
> - Can i issue all AT commands once modem is already in use?
>
> How windows getting this status in "Windows Zero Configuration" service? I
> think it can retreive information from a device if its on iEEE 8.2.11
> standard.. Would we be able to get signal strength, provider(GSM/GPRS)
> information as well?
>
> The easiest way could be if Sony is exposing API for that device, which we
> are trying to get .. .
>
> Any other way out instead of AT?
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> "S. Pidgorny <MVP>" wrote:
>
>> It is as reliable as the only information available from the modem. It's
>> text-based communication with com port you can program it using any
>> language, including Windows batch files (methinks). But you cannot use
>> NDIS - this is below on the OSI model.
>>
>> --
>> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
>> -= F1 is the key =-
>>
>> "Ishtiaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks for quick reply.
>> >
>> > How reliable is it? would it work for GPRS and Wireless? Can i program
>> > it
>> > in
>> > .net/vc++?
>> >
>> > Can i talk to modem using NDIS?

=?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=

AT command issue is related with "Port". WE can't access the same port if its
already being used. If there is way to do that then there is no problem.

Is there any way if i can intercept their default application "Wireless
Manager" data; some hooking ..? Like i can see their window handle, actual
message signature using spy++; can i use this handle/message to get my
required data?

or i may communicate with driver at user/kernal mode?