Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can't save images in Firefox...

Can't save images in Firefox...

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.

I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6

Thanks!

Carmen

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
>
> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carmen

What happens when you try?

gwtc

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
>
> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carmen

click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
work now?

--
Pic of the day:
http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?i...oodhomeor3.jpg

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

> click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
> work now?

No, and my download manager had already been cleaned out... any other ideas?

Thanks!

C.
"gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)7yjsIFfetn> wrote in message
news:44fe6367$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
>> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
>> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
>>
>> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox
>> 1.5.0.6
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Carmen

> --
> Pic of the day:
> http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?i...oodhomeor3.jpg

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

> What happens when you try?

Absolutely nothing. In other words, I go through every step you have to take
when saving a picture, but when I go look for the picture, there's nothing
there... but it works in IE (insert
uncomfortable-looking-I-have-just-touched-something-slimy shiver here!

Strange, huh?! I think I may just try re-installing Firefox and see what
happens. Probably just one of those ripples in the time-space continuum...

C.

"Mozilla Champion (Dan)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsfqLg.26409$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
>> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
>> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
>>
>> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox
>> 1.5.0.6
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Carmen

Big Craigie

"gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)7yjsIFfetn> wrote in message
news:44fe6367$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
>> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
>> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
>>
>> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox
>> 1.5.0.6
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Carmen

> click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
> work now?
>
> --
> Pic of the day:
> http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?i...oodhomeor3.jpg

I trust you are doing right click...save image as...then saving it to the
destinition of your choice

BC

Roland de Ruiter

On 6-9-2006 12:41, Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
>> click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
>> work now?

> No, and my download manager had already been cleaned out... any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> C.
>[...]

1) Which theme are you using? Try to revert to Firefox' default theme
(Tools > Themes, and restart FF).

2) Open the Javascript console (Tools > JavaScript Console), clear
messages already there. Then try to save an image, and look at the JS
console if any messages appear.

3) Start Firefox in safe-mode. Can you save an image in safe-mode? [In
safe mode, all extensions are disabled, and the default FF theme is used.]
To start in safe-mode, close FF completely, then in Windows use Start >
Mozilla Firefox > Firefox (Safe Mode). See also
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode>.
--
Regards,

Roland

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
>> What happens when you try?

> Absolutely nothing. In other words, I go through every step you have to take
> when saving a picture, but when I go look for the picture, there's nothing
> there... but it works in IE (insert
> uncomfortable-looking-I-have-just-touched-something-slimy shiver here!
>
> Strange, huh?! I think I may just try re-installing Firefox and see what
> happens. Probably just one of those ripples in the time-space continuum...
>
> C.
>

> "Mozilla Champion (Dan)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsfqLg.26409$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
>>> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
>>> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
>>>
>>> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox
>>> 1.5.0.6
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Carmen

It would be a lot easier if you bottom posted thanks. Answers follow
questions in chronological sequence then.

Try changing the destination you are saving to, try just the desktop for
example. any luck?

gwtc

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
>> click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
>> work now?

> No, and my download manager had already been cleaned out... any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> C.
> "gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)7yjsIFfetn> wrote in message
> news:44fe6367$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
>>> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
>>> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
>>>
>>> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox
>>> 1.5.0.6
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Carmen

close FF, then using your file manager, locate the file downloads.rdf
which is located in the FF profile. Once found, delete it. Now try
again. Does it work this time?

To locate your FF profile, you can read this:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

--
Pic of the Day:
http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nternetyo6.jpg

Faun

In article <uTpLg.32793$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
>
> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6

I assume you use Windows.

To make sure that Fx understands image types, you could try to make Fx
smaller than your computer screen, i.e. not maximized. Then load a page
that contains some image of known type, like GIF or something. Grab the
image using the mouse pointer, and drag the image onto the (now) visible
Desktop and drop it there.

If you don't get a "target accepts dragged object" mouse pointer (i.e. a
small square around the tip of the pointer) but a "stop sign," and
subsequently no image, you probably have some very weird problems in
your installation.
--
faun.