Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Question...why are hit TV seriers not released faster?

Question...why are hit TV seriers not released faster?

Jim Waggener

For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
to be realease all seasons up to their current?

Justin

Jim Waggener wrote on [Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:55:24 -0400]:
> For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
> only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
> to be realease all seasons up to their current?

Looks like in the US ER is on a 6 month release schedule.

It takes time to master to DVD, people can't afford the whole series at
once, there's not enough shelf space for ever season of every TV show to
be shown at once, all sorts of reasons.

Patience, it's a virtue.

Current shows, like LOST, have a 12 month release cycle.

Bob

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:55:24 -0400, "Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
>only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
>to be realease all seasons up to their current?

I believe it has to do with syndication.

--

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
--Mark Twain

lorincantrell@yahoo.com

Jim Waggener wrote:
> For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
> only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
> to be realease all seasons up to their current?

I would say the main reason is that, premiering in 1993, it preceded
the DVD era by 4 years and the "whole seasons of TV shows on DVD" era
by even longer. It was also a show that used a fair amount of popular
music, so there were probably clearance issues there. Justin has a
point about springing a lot of seasons on people all at once too.

10 years ago you were lucky if a few key episodes of a show you liked
were available on VHS or maybe Laserdisc. We're living in the land of
plenty today. Contracts are written with DVD release in mind, and
studios have an incentive to release previous seasons right before new
seasons air as a promotional tool, and if the series is cancelled a
quick DVD release while it's still in people's minds is a good way to
recoup costs.

I for one believe this is the golden age of TV, what with all the cable
channels doing original series and the networks improving quality to
compete.

-beaumon

Justin

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on [6 Sep 2006 16:00:28 -0700]:

> Jim Waggener wrote:
>> For example "ER" they have been on televison for 13 seasons, but you can
>> only get season 5 in the USA and season 6 in Europe. Why don't the powers
>> to be realease all seasons up to their current?

> I would say the main reason is that, premiering in 1993, it preceded
> the DVD era by 4 years and the "whole seasons of TV shows on DVD" era
> by even longer. It was also a show that used a fair amount of popular
> music, so there were probably clearance issues there. Justin has a
> point about springing a lot of seasons on people all at once too.

Another possibility, they can't afford to release all the seasons at
once.

jayembee

Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Another possibility, they can't afford to release all the seasons
> at once.

And another: The authoring houses, mastering studios, and the pressing
plants couldn't keep up the pace. It's not like TV shows are the only
things that the studios have to release on DVD. All of the major labels
also have large film libraries.

-- jayembee

Bob

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 02:50:00 GMT, jayembee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>And another: The authoring houses, mastering studios, and the pressing
>plants couldn't keep up the pace. It's not like TV shows are the only
>things that the studios have to release on DVD. All of the major labels
>also have large film libraries.

Send the work overseas. There are a million Indians waiting to serve.