Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Firefox not exiting (JApplet)

Firefox not exiting (JApplet)

Steven J. Sobol

I have a weird problem. Firefox is refusing to exit when I'm on a page
containing a JApplet I'm writing, unless I navigate off that page first. I
have also tried a barebones JApplet created by the Eclipse visual editor;
the only thing I've changed is to add a stop() method:

package com.stevesobol.gallery.editor;

import java.awt.BorderLayout;

import javax.swing.JApplet;
import javax.swing.JPanel;

public class Test extends JApplet {

private JPanel jContentPane = null;

/**
* This is the xxx default constructor
*/
public Test() {
super();
}

/**
* This method initializes this
*
* @return void
*/
public void init() {
this.setSize(300, 200);
this.setContentPane(getJContentPane());
}

/**
* This method initializes jContentPane
*
* @return javax.swing.JPanel
*/
private JPanel getJContentPane() {
if (jContentPane == null) {
jContentPane = new JPanel();
jContentPane.setLayout(new BorderLayout());

}
return jContentPane;
}

public void stop() {
System.out.println("stopping");
}

}

<object id="broken2" type="application/x-java-applet"
width="500" height="500">
<param name="code" value="com.stevesobol.gallery.editor.Test"></param>
<param name="codebase" value="./"></param>
<param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet"></param>
</object>

The stop() method is called, but Firefox remains resident in memory. If I
navigate off the page with the applet and then close Firefox, it exits
properly.

JRE 1.5.0_07, Firefox 1.5.0.6, WinXP SP2 with all of the updates.

Thanks in advance
**SJS

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

Oliver Wong

"Steven J. Sobol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>I have a weird problem. Firefox is refusing to exit when I'm on a page
> containing a JApplet I'm writing, unless I navigate off that page first. I
> have also tried a barebones JApplet created by the Eclipse visual editor;
> the only thing I've changed is to add a stop() method:
>
> package com.stevesobol.gallery.editor;
>
> import java.awt.BorderLayout;
>
> import javax.swing.JApplet;
> import javax.swing.JPanel;
>
> public class Test extends JApplet {
>
> private JPanel jContentPane = null;
>
> /**
> * This is the xxx default constructor
> */
> public Test() {
> super();
> }
>
> /**
> * This method initializes this
> *
> * @return void
> */
> public void init() {
> this.setSize(300, 200);
> this.setContentPane(getJContentPane());
> }
>
> /**
> * This method initializes jContentPane
> *
> * @return javax.swing.JPanel
> */
> private JPanel getJContentPane() {
> if (jContentPane == null) {
> jContentPane = new JPanel();
> jContentPane.setLayout(new BorderLayout());
>
> }
> return jContentPane;
> }
>
> public void stop() {
> System.out.println("stopping");
> }
>
> }

> <object id="broken2" type="application/x-java-applet"
> width="500" height="500">
> <param name="code" value="com.stevesobol.gallery.editor.Test"></param>
> <param name="codebase" value="./"></param>
> <param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet"></param>
> </object>
>

> The stop() method is called, but Firefox remains resident in memory. If I
> navigate off the page with the applet and then close Firefox, it exits
> properly.
>
> JRE 1.5.0_07, Firefox 1.5.0.6, WinXP SP2 with all of the updates.
>
> Thanks in advance
> **SJS

I'd submit this as a bug to the FireFox team.

- Oliver

Steven J. Sobol

In article <mTlLg.5835$0k7.5211@clgrps13>, Oliver Wong wrote:

>>I have a weird problem. Firefox is refusing to exit when I'm on a page
>> containing a JApplet I'm writing, unless I navigate off that page first. I
>> have also tried a barebones JApplet created by the Eclipse visual editor;
>> the only thing I've changed is to add a stop() method:

> I'd submit this as a bug to the FireFox team.

Bugzilla already has someone reporting the same thing on bug 285390.

Of course, I installed the browser plugin separately from the JDK. The JDK
is at 1.5.0_07 and the JRE installed with the plugin is 1.5.0_06. I'm going to
try switching to whichever one I'm not using now...

--

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
> In article <mTlLg.5835$0k7.5211@clgrps13>, Oliver Wong wrote:
>
>>>I have a weird problem. Firefox is refusing to exit when I'm on a page
>>> containing a JApplet I'm writing, unless I navigate off that page first. I
>>> have also tried a barebones JApplet created by the Eclipse visual editor;
>>> the only thing I've changed is to add a stop() method:

>> I'd submit this as a bug to the FireFox team.

> Bugzilla already has someone reporting the same thing on bug 285390.
>
> Of course, I installed the browser plugin separately from the JDK. The JDK
> is at 1.5.0_07 and the JRE installed with the plugin is 1.5.0_06. I'm going to
> try switching to whichever one I'm not using now...

I uninstalled JDK _07 and the JRE _06 that installed when I installed the Java
plugin from Sun's consumer website (java.com). I installed the JDK and the
public JRE _08 from the Java developer website, and the Firefox problem went
away. So I figure, either:

** having two runtimes installed screwed things up somehow, or

** the problem existed in 1.5.0_06 and/or _07 but has been fixed in _08.

Or both.

Whatever it was, it's fixed now.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

Steven J. Sobol

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
>> try switching to whichever one I'm not using now...

> I uninstalled JDK _07 and the JRE _06 that installed when I installed the Java
> plugin from Sun's consumer website (java.com). I installed the JDK and the
> public JRE _08 from the Java developer website, and the Firefox problem went
> away. So I figure, either:
>
> ** having two runtimes installed screwed things up somehow, or
>
> ** the problem existed in 1.5.0_06 and/or _07 but has been fixed in _08.
>
> Or both.

final note:
Here at the office I am using JDK/JRE _06 and having no problems, so I assume
I screwed something up on the computer at home.

loop not exiting sLim C++ 1 12-02-2009 06:50 PM
Processes not exiting ma3mju Python 14 08-10-2009 03:25 PM
Firefox crashes when exiting Chuck Firefox 12 10-13-2006 08:40 AM
Two Enquiries re Firefox - Sun Java & Exiting FF. Reg Mouatt Firefox 1 12-19-2004 08:37 AM
Ruby not exiting when developing extension Derek Lewis Ruby 2 12-04-2003 05:46 PM

Advertisments