Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Detecting if browser has installed .NET Framework 2.0

Detecting if browser has installed .NET Framework 2.0

Torben Birk

Hello

I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client has
"installed" .NET2.0 framework than parsing the "navigator.userAgent" for the
string "net clr 2.0". I use it to select which code to run when browser log
on to my web-server.

My problem is that some MS-OS do not deliver the userAgent value

Best Regards

Torben Birk

Andy Dingley

Torben Birk wrote:

> I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client has
> "installed" .NET2.0 framework

if (site_requires_weird_client_side_runtime):
delete_site_and_start_again()

Sym

> if (site_requires_weird_client_side_runtime):
> delete_site_and_start_again()

I can think of many reasons why you may want to check for this. e.g.
what if he has a site specifically for .net developers and he wants to
detect what version of .net they have.

Dylan Parry

Torben Birk wrote:

> I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client has
> "installed" .NET2.0 framework than parsing the "navigator.userAgent" for the
> string "net clr 2.0". I use it to select which code to run when browser log
> on to my web-server.

Unless I am missing something here... If you are running the code on the
server then it doesn't matter whether or not the user has the .Net
Framework installed. Or are you talking about something different?

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

Torben Birk

Hi

I want to take measures if user hasn't the framework installed. And if not
they will be prompted to install it in order to take advantage of services.

BR

Torben Birk

"Dylan Parry" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Torben Birk wrote:
>
> > I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client

has
> > "installed" .NET2.0 framework than parsing the "navigator.userAgent" for

the
> > string "net clr 2.0". I use it to select which code to run when browser

log
> > on to my web-server.

> Unless I am missing something here... If you are running the code on the
> server then it doesn't matter whether or not the user has the .Net
> Framework installed. Or are you talking about something different?
>
> --
> Dylan Parry
> http://electricfreedom.org | http://webpageworkshop.co.uk
>
> Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
> against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

Jonathan N. Little

##TOP POSTING CORRECTED##
Torben Birk wrote:
> "Dylan Parry" wrote:
>> Torben Birk wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a
>>> browser-client has "installed" .NET2.0 framework than parsing
>>> the "navigator.userAgent" for the string "net clr 2.0".
>>> I use it to select which code to run when browser log on to
>>> my web-server.

>> Unless I am missing something here... If you are running the code on
>> the server then it doesn't matter whether or not the user has the
>> .Net Framework installed. Or are you talking about something
>> different?

> I want to take measures if user hasn't the framework installed. And if not
> they will be prompted to install it in order to take advantage of services.

With modern browsers, many can modify their userAgent string, oh your
probably look at IE only...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Torben Birk

I know, that's easy to change strings in registry.

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:23e8f$44fdac83$40cba796$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ##TOP POSTING CORRECTED##
> Torben Birk wrote:

> >> Unless I am missing something here... If you are running the code on
> >> the server then it doesn't matter whether or not the user has the
> >> .Net Framework installed. Or are you talking about something
> >> different?

> > I want to take measures if user hasn't the framework installed. And if

not
> > they will be prompted to install it in order to take advantage of

services.

> With modern browsers, many can modify their userAgent string, oh your
> probably look at IE only...
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Torben Birk

That's not an <OPTION>

"Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Torben Birk wrote:
>
> > I wonder if there is a easier way to dertermine whether a browser-client

has
> > "installed" .NET2.0 framework

> if (site_requires_weird_client_side_runtime):
> delete_site_and_start_again()

Jonathan N. Little

Torben Birk wrote:

> "Jonathan N. Little" wrote:

>> ##TOP POSTING CORRECTED##

<snip>

>> With modern browsers, many can modify their userAgent string, oh your
>> probably look at IE only...
>>

> I know, that's easy to change strings in registry.

You managed to miss both my points.

--
Take care,

Jonathan

Torben Birk wrote:

> I know, that's easy to change strings in registry.

What's a registry, and what makes you think I have one?